Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

#604

Ratings: 3,491 |  Reviews: 1,210
3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Strong four-finger head. Good, spotty lace on the glass. Very cloudy. The liquid is straw colored.

Okay, something must be wrong. I smell creamed corn. I guess there is light wheat in the background. Very unusual nose, not exactly unappealing, but not expected either.

A smooth bodied beer--heavy body and light carbonation. The flavor is different from any other beer I've ever had and I can't say that I like it. There are elements of bocks and wheat beers as to be expected. There is a soured sweetness that takes some getting used to. The creamed corn remains and detracts from the flavors. Yet, it is a complex offering. Lots of cream flavors.

I can't recommend it, but I know that it is different enough to seek out to try something very different.

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%

Date code of 1507

Pours an effervescent & hazed straw/golden color with 3+ fingers of rocky pearl colored head. Effervesces through out the whole half liter. Average lacing & head retention

S: Bananas, cloves

T: Bananas, lemons, pepper & cloves up front. Slight boozey warmth as this warms, along a touch of honey sweetness, more bananas & cloves, plus some pineapple. Finishes juicy with a bit
of dryness, plus some good juicy fruit flavor

MF: Chewy with low carbonation

Drinks a little slow, due to the heft & a bit too much cloves for my liking. Hefe-freaks should love this. A nice change of pace, I couldn't session on it though

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale gold body capped with a thin, fine, white head.

Smell: Crisp wheat nose with fine notes of banana juice, clove spice, citrus, a small handful of cracker crumbs, and a fourth of a Vanilla Tootsie Roll.

Taste: Sweet, tangy wheat malts start, followed by a drop or two of vanilla and a lemony citrus character. Plenty of fresh banana, top shelf bubblegum, and coriander. Even some apple begins the develop. Light spicy hops and bitterness. Lingering tanginess and no more than the faintest hint of alcohol on the drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high, lively carbonation, yet there's still some creaminess to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Recommended. An expertly crafted expression of wheat. It's tasty and really grows on you more and more with every sip. Maybe that UGADawgGuy is onto something...

3.89/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. I had purchased this one evening at Hunger 'n' Thirst when Mughugger was working in the bottle shop. I am listening to Black Sabbath as the accompanying soundtrack for this one.

From the bottle: "WBA 12 [-] World Beer Awards [-] World's Best Wheat Beer Strong"; "The world's oldest brewery [-] Since 1040".

I began the pour, only to be be surprised by its light color. I do not know why I was thinking that it would be dark in color, but I was startled all the same. I got a dense finger of bone-white head with good retention as a result. Color was a pretty sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like a Hefeweizen, especially in terms of the banana esters, although I got some clove, but accompanied by a bit of heat. I was ready to sneeze. Mouthfeel was medium. I initially thought to myself "Hefeweizen! Burned again!" since I am not a big fan of the style, but then the heat kicked in and I realized why this was a Winter beer. Bananas + heat = Bananas Foster! Man, I really dug it in Advanced Foods in HomeEc when we did flambe desserts. Hit the lights, get some fire going and serve. In this case, I was getting ready to hit the deck! It was like a rabbit punch. I did not see this coming, despite the label. Finish was dry, mainly thanks to its inherent heat. Phew! Sabbath plays on while I may be played out.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange/yellow color with a huge white head that lasts for a very long time. Sheets of lacing form around the entire glass.

S: Tons of clove and coriander, very estery, and lots of fruits - pear, apple, and a little bit of tropical fruit as well. A definite wheat aroma Overall, very floral and earthy.

T: Lots of wheat and bready malt mixed with a very nice level of spices (cloves and coriander again). The fruit flavors come out as a slightly tropical banana flavor. The banana is mixed with something else that I can't quite place, but I like it.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Very crisp, smooth, and easy drinking.

O: Another classic from Weihenstephaner, fantastic beer. Would certainly drink this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Foggy lemon with a hint of orange peel. Most weizenbocks are darker than this. The ivory colored cap is pleasing to the eye. It's stiffly rocky and looks even better on subsequent pours. Only a lack of lace hurts the cause.

The nose doesn't differ too much from a well-brewed hefeweizen. It features loads of sweetened banana and clove, with no trace of dark fruit and no hint of alcohol. Even though it isn't what I expected, it's fantastic.

Vitus doesn't taste like a weizenbock at all, but like a hefeweizen for lovers of big beer. Those who can't get enough of the classic Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier, and think the recent trend toward high-ABV flavor bombs is a good thing, will probably like this one as much as I do.

Forget subtle, forget nuanced, forget light. Each mouthful is a controlled explosion of ripe banana studded with chunks of clove and bubblegum and soaked in sugar syrup. A little cocoa-like dark malt would be terrific, but it's hard to argue with the flavor profile as it's currently constructed. The (hefeweizen) banan-o-meter score is easily 4.0/5.0.

At the risk of overstating the point, only aficionados of big beer will love the incredibly full, incredibly supple, incredibly lush, sticky-on-the-finish mouthfeel. As always, it wouldn't be anywhere near as good without a perfect amount of carbonation. The bubbles energize and volumize without crossing the line into fizziness.

Brauerei Weihenstephan is not only the oldest brewery in the world, it's also one of the best. Purists may scoff at the idea of an 'Americanized' version of a timeless classic, but there is plenty of room for both. Vitus is amazing beer and is destined to be a multiple bottle purchase whenever I'm lucky enough to run across it.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

a - Pours a murky orange yellow color with two fingers of white head with decent retention. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of yeast, bananas, some spice and cloves. Very pleasant.

t - Taste is bananas, yeast, and some citrus.

m - High carbonation that stings the tongue, light body. Feels a little like champagne.

d - I liked this weizen a lot. Great smell and taste and the only thing that really hurt it was the high carbonation. Would definitely have again.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked this one up at Dan's recommendation. This is a style to which I love and have had far too few examples of it to go on. When he said this was as awesome as he did I knew I had to get down there and grab me a couple of them. I poured the 500ml bottle into a proper pint glass and proceeded to enjoy this one straight out of the fridge.

Appearance - The pour was wonderful. A bright golden amber transformed the glass with all of its haze and cloudiness. A very nice three inch layer of white foam then came up over the top and settled down gently, but never totally fading into a thin layer that lasted the rest of the session. Deep side glass lace as well as some good carbonation could be seen streaking skyward.

Smell - The aroma was full of yeast. Nice banana and clove notes mixed in with some light lemon like citrus tones. Very bright, with a touch of alcohol, but nothing too terribly distracting at all.

Taste - The flavor was just about as good as you can get for the style. Perfect balance of yeast, with the wonderful notes of banana and cloves, some light peppery spices in there as well, but everything being very bright. Good dose of wheat in the middle and a sharp cutoff of lemon like hops in the finish, really drying this one out and making you beg for another sip.

Mouthfeel - This was much lighter then I thought it would be, and that was a good thing. A nice light to medium bodied ale, the carbonation was big enough to really let it shine through very nicely. I was thoroughly impressed by how well this one was put together in all aspects.

Drinkability - As for drinking, you could easily throw this one down as a session ale. I mean be careful as at over 7.5% it will do a number on you, but still, wow, this was really very good. I was shocked by how quickly it disappeared.

Overall one of the best beers I have had, any style, hands down. I would get this one again in a heartbeat, and it really is a steal at 2.99. Definitely try this one out, no way you could be disappointed.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I picked this up on a recent LCB trip to State Line Liquors in Elkton MD. Poured cold from the 16oz brown bottle into my Weizen glass.

A - A beautifully cloudy sunny-golden amber w/ swirling carbonation. The cap is 4 fingers of snow white w/ a dome for topography and sudsy glistening appearance through the glass w/ plenty of clinging lace. The color is lighter than others I have tasted, but still is very appealing when compared to a Weizen or Dunkel since it is somewhere in between

S - The aroma is tropical w/ mild banana and clove notes w/ mild wheaty odors and hints of hebal spice w/ slightly phenolic esters and earthy yeast.

M - A mildly sweet texture as it is first tasted and swished w/ creamy and spicy feel w/ gentle toast notes. The body is medium full w/ moderately high carbonation. There are tinges of alchol warmth as it finishes.

T - Mild wheat w/ clove spiciness and banana fruitiness from the yeast. The wheat is bready and slightly fruity w/ a nice vanilla creaminess. A subtle golden pllum and pineapple tang w/ a nice bock-type strength is very pleasant and the taste doesn't seem disjointed in any way. A very tasty blend of the two beers. The light toast and alcohol seems to keep this in style and gives a subtle kick to the mild Weizen flavor as it finishes.

D - A great Weizenbock - Very glad to have tasted this. It is as refreshing as it is strong which is the equivalent of drinkable to my taste buds. A great summer drink and makes other Weizenbock's I have tasted seem medicinal and thrown together. I really recommend this beauty.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at the House of Brews. Served in a Weihenstephaner Vitus chalice. Appropriate glassware!

Appearance - Hazy bright orange. Huge white head. Beautiful sticky lacing.

Smell - Phenolic, slight bubble gum. Some bright citrus. Wheaty grain.

Taste - Grainy wheat. Orange citrus. Estery yeastiness. Bubble gummy phenolic flavors lingers into the finish and becomes the predominant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Very drinkable when cold. Becomes a little more sluggish as it warms. Mediu. Carb and a little sticky from the sweetness.

Overall - Delicious. I have no complaints.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A: The pour is a hazy golden color with a tint of orange and a creamy white head.

S: A very nice citrus aroma and perhaps a bit of pineapple. Sweet wheat and malt aromas and the great German yeast gives off some bananas, cloves, and apples.

T: The flavor is quite similar to the aroma. Good sweetness and yeast contributions and plenty of fruit (banana, apple, and oranges). There is a light bitterness to this one as well.

M: Medium body with a smooth and creamy carbonation. Quite pleasant, indeed.

D: I think I still like their regular Hefeweizen a bit better, but this is still a great beer. I might have to pick up a few more bottles.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Vitus is good...but its not in my favorite lane....there is much clove in the scent and in the taste. The beer poured a slightly hazy golden with big head that is leaving a spotty lace. The mouthfeel is medium in body with big carbonation. Overall its a good beer and I am glad I have tried it....but I would go for the other Weihenstephen offerings before going to this one.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Served in a tumbler.

Gotta try one of the classic German weuizenbocks, right? It pours a cloudy pale straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, light banana peel, light lemon zest, light ginger, honey, and a small amount of clove. The taste focuses on the wheat, but allows some lemon zest, honey, clove, banana, and orange rind in there as well. The body is a rather light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy feel. Overall, a pretty enjoyable w-bock, something I could easily see drinking plenty of if put in the proper situation.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan