Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
brauerei-weihenstephan.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 1,171 | Ratings: 3,363
4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a golden light colored yellow. A thick about three fingers worth of foamy white head started and slid into the beer after dissipation with some fairly thick lacing roaming here and there.
The smell had some banana esters running into some bready/yeasty notes. Apricots and raisins meld into the aroma.
The taste was full and sweet from the previously mentioned flavors allowing some clove to round in the spicy department. An eloquent sweet and spicy aftertaste yields a powerful sweet wet finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a nice cherishing sweetness clinging to my tongue. Carbonation seems to finish nicely on my tongue as it's not too sharp but shows just enough and dissipates evenly to allow the spice to hit just right.
Overall, do you think I like this beer for me? With an emphatic yes, this is the best of the best of its style. Take me through winter, Vitus.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a bright yellow/straw color with a voluminous, white, frothy head; ample retention and generous wet lacing. The aroma is of clove, straw, wheat, lemon zest, and hints of citric and lactic acid. Some orange rind and hay as well. The flavor is similar with a predominant clove and wheat bastion reinforced by lemon and orange citruses. Some straw, hay, and other light earthen notes comprise the middle. More banana on the finish. The mouthfeel is velvety yet lively with a wet but refreshing finish. A touch of clove and citrus linger. Overall, this is a wonderful beer and a personal favorite. The clove predominance combined with a bit of a “beefier” mouthfeel compared to the hefeweisse makes it a wonderful variation of another excellent Weihenstephaner offering. Well balanced, rich in complexity, and a superb example of the style.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Deep golden yellow with a huge bone white head that sticks around and leaves lacing that just doesn't go away.

S: Sweet and spicy. Bananas, clove, and lemon are all there. A totally inviting and complex aroma.

T: Very prominent banana and clove flavor up front which then segues into a mildly tart lemon finish.

M: Very rich. Decent carbonation gives this beer tremendous body.

D: Great, great stuff. A prototypical wheat beer. Highly recommended.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz bottle purchased from Las Vegas last weekend poured into my beer goblet. No freshness code, but I do see that this one is batch 6103.

Appearance: Three finger fluffy white head atop a hazy yellow beer. Exactly what a wheat beer should look like. Great lacing

Smell: Slight noble hop flavor along with the soft malt notes from the wheat. A bit of clove and banana in the scent.

Taste: A thread of clove runs throughout the taste but it does not dominate. The wheat is present along with the hops. The best word to describe all of the flavors is soft.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth beer with big quantities of flavor.

Overall: I think this is the first weizenbock that I have had, but it will not be the last. I really love the German wheat beers.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden color with a big, fluffy white head. Aroma of banana, bubblegum, citrus and spice. Taste follows the nose with banana, bubblegum, bread and a spice. Mouthfeel is nice for a hefe, with the wheat smoothness and a great effervescence. Overall a great beer, an "imperial " hefeweizen of sorts. Definitely world class and worthy of every award.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

500 ml bottle purchased from Green's in Greenville, SC before we could get it here in GA. Poured into a Paulaner Weizen glass.

A: Pours a cloudy straw like yellow with a slight tint of orange. There is a very tiny bubble white head that is a fills all the space in the glass from the .5l line all the way to the rim. Just the slightest bit of lacing as the head recedes.

S: Classic wheat beer aroma including the coriander spice smell. Hints of what seems like orange and possibly lemon peel. Its an interesting aroma.

T: This tastes a lot like a Hefe but with a lot of the flavors cranked up. Big wheat beer flavor with loads of spice character. I think its coriander, but its much more spicy than I would expect so maybe its something else. There are definitely orange and lemon citrus notes. A tasty beer.

M: Its a bit prickly from the spice and carbonation. It is medium in body.

D: The beer disappeared quickly for me. The alcohol is well hidden. However, if you are not a big fan of spice character in beer, this may not be the one for you. Luckily, I love it when it is done right like this one is.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 1pt .9 fl oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. No identifiable freshness date on the bottle. Pours a hazy gold color with a nice white head of about two fingers in height. Looks nicely carbonated and features some good lacing on the glass.

Smell is of banana, clove, ground nutmeg, and pepper. Maybe some cinnamon as well and some orange peel thrown in for good measure. Vanilla even?? Really a very complex and interesting nose on this beer.

The taste equals the aromas of this beer in many respects. Banana bread, clove, nutmeg, and a spicy pepper finish are some of the key highlights of the mix of flavors here. Getting some light fruit notes in there, like apricot or dates. Everything meshes so well with this beer--it is a true delight to consume. While the taste is perhaps not as complex as the nose, everything in the taste is done very well and fits together just right. This features a little more sweetness and breadiness from the malts than other wheat beers. Crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is delightful as this dances across the tongue. This beer is definitely alive and encourages you to let it linger for a bit in order to experience everything. Overall, rather light and refreshing in taste, but with a little extra kick from the alcohol content. This is right up there with their more well-known all-star wheat beer. Perhaps a bit more bold and a little more full bodied. Highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

In a weizen glass, at cellar temperature.

A one-finger white head quickly fades to nothing over a very hazy golden-orange ale that I can't really see through.

It smells like banana,cloves, coriander, pears, and estery yeast.

The bananas and pears make a quick impression on my palate. This melds into a rich, almost buttery breadiness, spiced with those spices from the aroma.

I'd describe the body as a hefty medium with pretty spritzy carbonation.

Like a festive white bread infused with spices and fruit. That's what this beer is.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked this one up, because I wanted to try some great German beers that were out of my standard flavor palate like the IPAs that I am familiar with. This one came in a pint with a really nice looking front and neck label. It boasts a 7.7% ABV and is brewed under purity laws of 1516. This ancient beer definitely has a historical element that increases the experience. I was pleasantly surprised.

Look-Pours a cloudy light golden yellow and a thick head that soon settles into a fine lacing. The head leaves
a silky foam on the glass that is very nice.

Smell-I smell banana bread and associated phenols as well as a spicy bread pudding and vanilla undertones mixed with pear. The taste is similar so I’ll stop here.

Taste-It is spicy clove and banana which is very reminiscent of the Trippel by New Belgium that I have reviewed. Look for that review in order to get a better idea of this one. However, this variety is more of a creamy and cloudy version of the Trippel. This German Weizenbock is perfectly sweetened, well-balanced, not hoppy at all, and the alcohol is subtle. This beer really drinks like a 4.5% brew even though it is 7.7% so be careful and especially because it comes in a pint.

Mouthfeel-It has a creamy and buttery feel that is so rare and enjoyable. The carbonation is miniature in the sense that the bubbles are sub-microscopic leaving a pleasant effervescent tickle on the tongue. The aftertaste is like a sticky coating that is resulting from the phenols and organic compounds in the beer.

Overall-This beer was very surprising, because I expected a typical German brew with monotonic flat bread and yeast with a malt-forward experience. Instead I got a complex and creamy brew with such a dangerously refreshing experience that it is no wonder I haven’t tried it before. Do not underestimate this Weizenboch!

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%

First review in quite some time for me.... but here I am... back on the wagon so to say.

This beer is certainly strange in appearance. I expected a murky light brown, but this is more of a golden hue. Strange for anything classified as a weizenbock to be this light... but oh well. As for the head, it is monstrous in my Ayinger hefe glass. At least 3 fingers, which gradually subsided to about a 1" layer.

The aroma is wonderful... exactly what I've come to expect from Weihenstephan brews. Citrus and lemon zest. Orange rind mingles with banana. Very nice.

So I finally take my first sip. Wow.... very very well done. Big banana flavour throughout. There citrus that was so prominent in the nose is much more subtle. Most likely due to the inherent maltiness that can be contributed to 'bock' portion of this style.

I could use the carbonation toned down a bit on this beauty, but really a small complaint. This beer is fairly large in the mouth, but the drinkability is in no way hindered. I could down plenty of these. A dangerous and delicious brew to be sure.
Highly recommended, if you can find it.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy, fairly light orange. I expected it to be darker.

Smell was fruity but mild, with some slight spices and some light, flowery aromas.

Taste was heavy on the citrus flavors, with orange and lemon dominating. Felt and tasted almost like juice, though good carbonation balances it well. Some peel flavors and a bit of clove were there as well.

Overall, I was very pleased with this. It wasn't anything like I expected, but I really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: A cloudy distillation of a golden wheat field.

S: Bananas, cloves, yeast.

T: More bananas and spice with alcohol warmth. As is perhaps to be expected from the style, much like a concentrated hefeweizen.

M: Medium body, light carbonation, alcohol warmth.

O: A great occasional indulgence.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I haven’t had the Vitus, but I have had beers from the Weihenstephan portfolio. The pilsner is their most popular and is readily available. I was intrigued to learn that this one has only been around since 2007. I also found it interesting that folks who fast can drink this beer. Heck, if it’s good maybe I will fast and live on Vitus! It has been a while since we drank, so I am excited to get the ball rolling. Let’s dive into the Vitus.

In the Glass: The beer pours golden brown with a thick foamy head. I didn’t really know what to expect here, but I was surprised to see so much head. The beer has a weak lace that quickly drips back into the beer.

Nose: It smells like a good German beer is supposed to. There are a ton of malty notes on the nose, and then it begins to smell rusty and seasoned. I still can’t believe that this beer has only been in production since 2007. The label and the history of this brewery would beg to differ.

Flavor: The beer starts off with those same rustic flavors that I was picking up in the nose, but then the sweetness kicks off. I am left saying, “Holy cow,” when I sit the glass down. I had no idea what this was going to taste like, but am glad to have found what was inside the bottle!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. Considering how much head there is on this beer, there isn’t a lot going on in the mouth. No bubbles and it isn’t overwhelming as you swallow.

Aftertaste: I wish the aftertaste lasted longer than it does. The beer is so sweet as it slides across your tongue, and is still in there a few seconds later… but quickly fades. The beer is cheap, but with such a big ABV you need to be careful. You never taste the booze in this one.

I have had the pilsner, and while it’s good… it’s not great. This beer is surprisingly incredible. The sweetness, which I am starting to like more and more, just continues to impress from one bottle to the next. I could drink this beer again and again. If you like a tasty sweet beer, grab a bottle of Vitus. Bottoms up, people!

Weihenstephaner Vitus - The bottle says: NA

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright, yellow, cloudy colour. You can actually see the haze forming distinct patterns in the cloudy ale. Crazy. The smell is nothing to write home about. It's grainy, like an adjunct lager. The taste is a whole different animal, though. The grain flavours are so light, that they are taken over by strong notes of banana, cloves, citrus peel, and spices. Are there spices in this beer? The notes are so strong that I would suspect so. These aren't all what I'm looking for in a weizenbock, typically, but it makes for an excellent all-around brew, no question. I'm used to a dominating banana note and a bite from a weizenbock. This has the banana, but too much orange peel, and it completely lacks any bite, which disappoints me a little. The flavour of this beer is typical of Old World traditional brews. Reminds me of a Belgian abbey ale. Those are good, so I can't rate this particularly poorly. I was really looking for more bite in my weizenbock, though.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a weizen glass

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow. Tons of carbonation. Creamy white head with great retention. Some sticky lacing. Having never had a weizenbock before, I was expecting a darker color. Regardless, this looks very inviting

Fantastic aromas of banana and cloves, bubblegum, crisp wheat, lemon zest, spicy coriander, and honey. All shine through wonderfully. Hefeweizens and witbiers aren't always my cup of tea but this is the standard of aroma they should be held up to

Taste follows the nose to a tee. Big yeasty esters of banana, clove, lemon peel, orange zest. Bubblegum sweetness and honey. The coriander, cloves, twangy wheat, and subtle alcohol presence add a much needed spicy kick that balances this nicely. Finish is of sweet honey that lingers for a moment

Drinks smooth and light but the sweetness is thick if that makes any sense. Very carbonated. Crisp. Somewhat off dry. Very low in bitterness and acidity

Overall superb. Again, being my first weizenbock I'm not sure what the standard is but I greatly enjoyed this. Sweet but not cloying. The ABV makes itself known but is far from overpowering. If anything it makes you take your time and enjoy. This is no doubt too sweet for some but if you like witbiers or hefe/dunkelweizens you will love this

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: Bottle
Consumed: 9.2.15

A: 4.5 Pours a hazy, apricot-gold with a uniform, fluffy, off-white head. Looks to be a lively beer with the large head lasting a few minutes.

S: 4.25 Smell is really nice and very wheat forward. Reminds me a lot of the hefeweissbier with lots of spice and esters. This is a bit stronger on the spice with tangerine and lemon mixed in.

T: 4.25 Like the nose, the flavors are very wheat and ester forward. The citrus elements drop off somewhat, but the spice is there in a very nice way. German yeast mixes in with the Belgian-like ester qualities while still bringing its own unique flavors. Finish is slightly dry and not at all bitter.

M: 4.75 This beer is so drinkable and refreshing. The body is great, as is the carbonation, and the dry finish is so nice.

O: 4.25 This beer is pretty similar to their hefeweissbier, but also adds its own distinct qualities. I think both are great and very balanced in both aroma and flavor, but I think I prefer this one on drinkability alone.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner. No obvious best before date on the bottle.

A - light yellow and cloudy. Big fluffy white head of a few fingers that slowly (a few minutes) dissipates leaving some chunky lacing behind. Paler than I would expect; enticing!

S - big yeasty and grainy nose; lots of wheat in there. Surprisingly powerful and earthy. Really lovely nose on this.

T - big flavor that matches the nose very well; very slight bitterness with a hint of sour that permeates the beer until you're walloped with a massive wheat and yeast profile (almost a vegetable quality to it - it's so solid). After the flavors fade a combined bitter/sourness permeates.

M - quite light, but with solid carbonation - super thirst quenching.

D - no hint whatsoever of the relatively large alcohol profile. Easy drinker for sure.

Really solid and delicious. Highly recommended.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It poured a creamy 1 finger off white head; a golden, somewhat hazy, dull yellow color. Once the dregs were added from the bottle it became somewhat murky. It smelled lightly syrupy and spicy. Perhaps some pear and fresh peaches, too. The taste was fantastic! It had a nice spiced banana flavor; some pear and some other light fresh fruit that I had a difficult time identifying. The backend was slightly spiced with bubblegum and a very light coriander; maybe some pineapple in there as well; a little alcohol flavor in the aftertaste, but not overpowering at all. In fact it balanced the flavors out nicely. The mouthfeel was crisp and perfectly carbonated; a lighter bodied brew. A nice spring/summer beer.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Bavarian Lodge

A) Hazy dark orange and yellow with a two finger head lots of lacing.

S) Very wheaty, clove, banana, sour apple, bready,

T) Doughy, clove, gum, wheat, toast malty

M) Thick and chewy.

O) absolutely delicious. I paired it with a knockwurst

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled from a 16.9 oz brown bottle.

Vitus pours a light orange, almost yellowish color with a very pillowy, fluffy white head. Very hazy with good lacing.

There is a fresh, crisp, wheaty aroma up front with lots of fruity tones, equal citrus and banana. IT also has ample amounts of clove and spice. Bits of bubble gum sweetness make this smell almost like a hefeweizen on steroids.

The taste is dominated by fresh wheat, complimented by banana, clove, and noted alcohol. Quite a bit of sweetness completes a nice and complex swallow.

Mouthfiel is biting and surprisingly full with pretty high carbonation.

Overall, this is a dangerously drinkable beer. When compared to the likes of Aventinus it reminds me of just how much diversity there can be between quality beers within the weizenbock style.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Sampled at the Pizza Port RAF.

Poured a brilliant gold with a dense and tall white head.

The aroma of the beer was of melanoidin rich pilsner malt and wheat. There were a good deal of fruity esters as well, but more towards the pear and bubblegum. No banana really.

The flavor of the beer was richly malty, but the lighter side of malty. It was full of sweet pilsner malt and a bready wheatiness. There were some mild fruit flavors mixed in: pear and white grape. The hops were floral and mild.

The mouthfeel was medium and the body surprisingly full. The carbonation was spritzy and there was a pleasant alcoholic warmth in the finish. I've never had a blond weizenbock until this, but I get exactly what the brewers were going for (I think) and they nailed it. Very nice and a departure from more traditional German brews.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

I poured this 1 pint .9 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I do see a date code, but it is not obvious if it is within the best by date.

A: cloudy honey gold with lemon-colored highlights, absolutely magnificent head: huge, billowing, and slowly cascading into a lovely cap with good lacing. This is a masterpiece.

S: there is that soapy smell again, but it goes with this style: the clove, bubblegum, and banana typical of the style mixes with a lemony citrus and a floral note.

T: a full-bodied bread-like malt greets you up front, then the clove hits, and mixes with a citrus zing and a white pepper note, the finish is dry, with hints of earthy/floral hops and just a hint of a grassy note at the very end.

M: medium-bodied, silky texture, and abundant carbonation make for a lovely palate-cleansing experience.

D: another world-class brew from Weihenstephaner. Awesome.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

This beer stole my taste buds when I first tasted it.

A: Pours a gorgeous straw yellow with a fluffy head that's about two fingers wide if you pour it right.

S: Smells sweet and malty with very supple fruitiness

T: Perfect wheat beer flavor. Sweet, crisp and mildly fruity but the combination is done perfectly. You'll want more as soon your lips leave the glass.

M: Perfect on the tongue. Fills the mouth beautifully and leaves the sweetness behind to make you just want more. (Pardon the sexual innuendo but its that good)

O: My favorite beer. Perfectly crafted and can be drunk at any time of year. I've drank it on the beach on the summer and also warmed up with it at Christmas time. I can say I've tasted a significant selection of some of the best beers in the world and this one blows them all away.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: So... ginormous white, fluffy head. No surprise from Weihenstephan. It is basically what they do. Color is a golden yellow with some fogginess (no surprises from the wheat beer) and lots of action from carbonation.

S: Absolutely some rich fruitiness. Some bananas and cloves of course. I do get some estery alcohol spiciness too. The malts are present in a bready way. Very, very lightly sour.

T: I definitely notice a large amount of spiciness from the yeast as well as the alcohol. The alcohol is not hiding in this glass. But that's actually not a problem on this slightly chill February night. Past that it's all the gold standard Weihenstephaner Weizen. Besides some of that rich fruitiness.

M: Great carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel and surprisingly medium body.

O: Wheat beer with a nice alcoholic bite and amped up fruitiness. Tasty and satisfying. Can Weihenstephaner make a beer that I don't adore?

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured to a Weihenstephaner glass.

A: Appearance wise, Vitus has a one finger head with a crystal clear yellow body. This is a promising appearance.
S: Here, I'd say that I've had better beers from Weihenstephaner, aroma wise. Both the Hefe and the Dunkel are better. Here, the smell presents itself very bready with clove. It's still great though.
T: This is where things start to get interesting. Taste wise, this beer is almost perfect for a weiss-derivative beer. Bready with clove, but on steroids. You can see why this beer won the WBA'11 Best Beer Of The World Award.
M: Again, almost pure perfection.
O: For me it's simple. If you want anything that's related with wheat on a beer, please let you attention converge to Weihenstephaner. They know what they're doing. And they're doing it with style.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan