Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 1,186 | Ratings: 3,426
4.19/5  rDev -1.6%

First review in quite some time for me.... but here I am... back on the wagon so to say.

This beer is certainly strange in appearance. I expected a murky light brown, but this is more of a golden hue. Strange for anything classified as a weizenbock to be this light... but oh well. As for the head, it is monstrous in my Ayinger hefe glass. At least 3 fingers, which gradually subsided to about a 1" layer.

The aroma is wonderful... exactly what I've come to expect from Weihenstephan brews. Citrus and lemon zest. Orange rind mingles with banana. Very nice.

So I finally take my first sip. Wow.... very very well done. Big banana flavour throughout. There citrus that was so prominent in the nose is much more subtle. Most likely due to the inherent maltiness that can be contributed to 'bock' portion of this style.

I could use the carbonation toned down a bit on this beauty, but really a small complaint. This beer is fairly large in the mouth, but the drinkability is in no way hindered. I could down plenty of these. A dangerous and delicious brew to be sure.
Highly recommended, if you can find it.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy, fairly light orange. I expected it to be darker.

Smell was fruity but mild, with some slight spices and some light, flowery aromas.

Taste was heavy on the citrus flavors, with orange and lemon dominating. Felt and tasted almost like juice, though good carbonation balances it well. Some peel flavors and a bit of clove were there as well.

Overall, I was very pleased with this. It wasn't anything like I expected, but I really enjoyed it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

A: A cloudy distillation of a golden wheat field.

S: Bananas, cloves, yeast.

T: More bananas and spice with alcohol warmth. As is perhaps to be expected from the style, much like a concentrated hefeweizen.

M: Medium body, light carbonation, alcohol warmth.

O: A great occasional indulgence.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I haven’t had the Vitus, but I have had beers from the Weihenstephan portfolio. The pilsner is their most popular and is readily available. I was intrigued to learn that this one has only been around since 2007. I also found it interesting that folks who fast can drink this beer. Heck, if it’s good maybe I will fast and live on Vitus! It has been a while since we drank, so I am excited to get the ball rolling. Let’s dive into the Vitus.

In the Glass: The beer pours golden brown with a thick foamy head. I didn’t really know what to expect here, but I was surprised to see so much head. The beer has a weak lace that quickly drips back into the beer.

Nose: It smells like a good German beer is supposed to. There are a ton of malty notes on the nose, and then it begins to smell rusty and seasoned. I still can’t believe that this beer has only been in production since 2007. The label and the history of this brewery would beg to differ.

Flavor: The beer starts off with those same rustic flavors that I was picking up in the nose, but then the sweetness kicks off. I am left saying, “Holy cow,” when I sit the glass down. I had no idea what this was going to taste like, but am glad to have found what was inside the bottle!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice. Considering how much head there is on this beer, there isn’t a lot going on in the mouth. No bubbles and it isn’t overwhelming as you swallow.

Aftertaste: I wish the aftertaste lasted longer than it does. The beer is so sweet as it slides across your tongue, and is still in there a few seconds later… but quickly fades. The beer is cheap, but with such a big ABV you need to be careful. You never taste the booze in this one.

I have had the pilsner, and while it’s good… it’s not great. This beer is surprisingly incredible. The sweetness, which I am starting to like more and more, just continues to impress from one bottle to the next. I could drink this beer again and again. If you like a tasty sweet beer, grab a bottle of Vitus. Bottoms up, people!

Weihenstephaner Vitus - The bottle says: NA

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright, yellow, cloudy colour. You can actually see the haze forming distinct patterns in the cloudy ale. Crazy. The smell is nothing to write home about. It's grainy, like an adjunct lager. The taste is a whole different animal, though. The grain flavours are so light, that they are taken over by strong notes of banana, cloves, citrus peel, and spices. Are there spices in this beer? The notes are so strong that I would suspect so. These aren't all what I'm looking for in a weizenbock, typically, but it makes for an excellent all-around brew, no question. I'm used to a dominating banana note and a bite from a weizenbock. This has the banana, but too much orange peel, and it completely lacks any bite, which disappoints me a little. The flavour of this beer is typical of Old World traditional brews. Reminds me of a Belgian abbey ale. Those are good, so I can't rate this particularly poorly. I was really looking for more bite in my weizenbock, though.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a weizen glass

Vitus pours a hazy straw yellow. Tons of carbonation. Creamy white head with great retention. Some sticky lacing. Having never had a weizenbock before, I was expecting a darker color. Regardless, this looks very inviting

Fantastic aromas of banana and cloves, bubblegum, crisp wheat, lemon zest, spicy coriander, and honey. All shine through wonderfully. Hefeweizens and witbiers aren't always my cup of tea but this is the standard of aroma they should be held up to

Taste follows the nose to a tee. Big yeasty esters of banana, clove, lemon peel, orange zest. Bubblegum sweetness and honey. The coriander, cloves, twangy wheat, and subtle alcohol presence add a much needed spicy kick that balances this nicely. Finish is of sweet honey that lingers for a moment

Drinks smooth and light but the sweetness is thick if that makes any sense. Very carbonated. Crisp. Somewhat off dry. Very low in bitterness and acidity

Overall superb. Again, being my first weizenbock I'm not sure what the standard is but I greatly enjoyed this. Sweet but not cloying. The ABV makes itself known but is far from overpowering. If anything it makes you take your time and enjoy. This is no doubt too sweet for some but if you like witbiers or hefe/dunkelweizens you will love this

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled from a 16.9 oz brown bottle.

Vitus pours a light orange, almost yellowish color with a very pillowy, fluffy white head. Very hazy with good lacing.

There is a fresh, crisp, wheaty aroma up front with lots of fruity tones, equal citrus and banana. IT also has ample amounts of clove and spice. Bits of bubble gum sweetness make this smell almost like a hefeweizen on steroids.

The taste is dominated by fresh wheat, complimented by banana, clove, and noted alcohol. Quite a bit of sweetness completes a nice and complex swallow.

Mouthfiel is biting and surprisingly full with pretty high carbonation.

Overall, this is a dangerously drinkable beer. When compared to the likes of Aventinus it reminds me of just how much diversity there can be between quality beers within the weizenbock style.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Serving Type: Bottle
Consumed: 9.2.15

A: 4.5 Pours a hazy, apricot-gold with a uniform, fluffy, off-white head. Looks to be a lively beer with the large head lasting a few minutes.

S: 4.25 Smell is really nice and very wheat forward. Reminds me a lot of the hefeweissbier with lots of spice and esters. This is a bit stronger on the spice with tangerine and lemon mixed in.

T: 4.25 Like the nose, the flavors are very wheat and ester forward. The citrus elements drop off somewhat, but the spice is there in a very nice way. German yeast mixes in with the Belgian-like ester qualities while still bringing its own unique flavors. Finish is slightly dry and not at all bitter.

M: 4.75 This beer is so drinkable and refreshing. The body is great, as is the carbonation, and the dry finish is so nice.

O: 4.25 This beer is pretty similar to their hefeweissbier, but also adds its own distinct qualities. I think both are great and very balanced in both aroma and flavor, but I think I prefer this one on drinkability alone.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner. No obvious best before date on the bottle.

A - light yellow and cloudy. Big fluffy white head of a few fingers that slowly (a few minutes) dissipates leaving some chunky lacing behind. Paler than I would expect; enticing!

S - big yeasty and grainy nose; lots of wheat in there. Surprisingly powerful and earthy. Really lovely nose on this.

T - big flavor that matches the nose very well; very slight bitterness with a hint of sour that permeates the beer until you're walloped with a massive wheat and yeast profile (almost a vegetable quality to it - it's so solid). After the flavors fade a combined bitter/sourness permeates.

M - quite light, but with solid carbonation - super thirst quenching.

D - no hint whatsoever of the relatively large alcohol profile. Easy drinker for sure.

Really solid and delicious. Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Bavarian Lodge

A) Hazy dark orange and yellow with a two finger head lots of lacing.

S) Very wheaty, clove, banana, sour apple, bready,

T) Doughy, clove, gum, wheat, toast malty

M) Thick and chewy.

O) absolutely delicious. I paired it with a knockwurst

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Sampled at the Pizza Port RAF.

Poured a brilliant gold with a dense and tall white head.

The aroma of the beer was of melanoidin rich pilsner malt and wheat. There were a good deal of fruity esters as well, but more towards the pear and bubblegum. No banana really.

The flavor of the beer was richly malty, but the lighter side of malty. It was full of sweet pilsner malt and a bready wheatiness. There were some mild fruit flavors mixed in: pear and white grape. The hops were floral and mild.

The mouthfeel was medium and the body surprisingly full. The carbonation was spritzy and there was a pleasant alcoholic warmth in the finish. I've never had a blond weizenbock until this, but I get exactly what the brewers were going for (I think) and they nailed it. Very nice and a departure from more traditional German brews.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

I poured this 1 pint .9 oz. bottle into a wheat glass. I do see a date code, but it is not obvious if it is within the best by date.

A: cloudy honey gold with lemon-colored highlights, absolutely magnificent head: huge, billowing, and slowly cascading into a lovely cap with good lacing. This is a masterpiece.

S: there is that soapy smell again, but it goes with this style: the clove, bubblegum, and banana typical of the style mixes with a lemony citrus and a floral note.

T: a full-bodied bread-like malt greets you up front, then the clove hits, and mixes with a citrus zing and a white pepper note, the finish is dry, with hints of earthy/floral hops and just a hint of a grassy note at the very end.

M: medium-bodied, silky texture, and abundant carbonation make for a lovely palate-cleansing experience.

D: another world-class brew from Weihenstephaner. Awesome.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

This beer stole my taste buds when I first tasted it.

A: Pours a gorgeous straw yellow with a fluffy head that's about two fingers wide if you pour it right.

S: Smells sweet and malty with very supple fruitiness

T: Perfect wheat beer flavor. Sweet, crisp and mildly fruity but the combination is done perfectly. You'll want more as soon your lips leave the glass.

M: Perfect on the tongue. Fills the mouth beautifully and leaves the sweetness behind to make you just want more. (Pardon the sexual innuendo but its that good)

O: My favorite beer. Perfectly crafted and can be drunk at any time of year. I've drank it on the beach on the summer and also warmed up with it at Christmas time. I can say I've tasted a significant selection of some of the best beers in the world and this one blows them all away.

L - yellow thick body with thumb size white head that doesn't last long
S - banana, buscuit, yeast citrusy
T - same as the smell.
F - light coat of the mouth. Very low carbonation, really smooth
O - this is a really good beer. Defiantly one of my favorites. Super smooth beer with a lot of flavor. The more I drink of this the more I like it. I have to keep increasing my ratings on this beer.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: So... ginormous white, fluffy head. No surprise from Weihenstephan. It is basically what they do. Color is a golden yellow with some fogginess (no surprises from the wheat beer) and lots of action from carbonation.

S: Absolutely some rich fruitiness. Some bananas and cloves of course. I do get some estery alcohol spiciness too. The malts are present in a bready way. Very, very lightly sour.

T: I definitely notice a large amount of spiciness from the yeast as well as the alcohol. The alcohol is not hiding in this glass. But that's actually not a problem on this slightly chill February night. Past that it's all the gold standard Weihenstephaner Weizen. Besides some of that rich fruitiness.

M: Great carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel and surprisingly medium body.

O: Wheat beer with a nice alcoholic bite and amped up fruitiness. Tasty and satisfying. Can Weihenstephaner make a beer that I don't adore?

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a big bottle into a Weihenstephaner pint glass.

A: Caramel-butterscotch in color with a huge frothy head, white and bubbly. A swarm of little bubbles scramble to reach the surface in a cloudy, misty, dark beer...looks good to me.

S: Bananas and a light, malty yeast highlight the smell with notes of grape skins and almond butter. Lightly plastic undertones take away points here.

T: Burp gives you plenty of bananas and cream with red apples, yeasty sourdough and a lemon bite that lingers in the finish.

D: I could have 2 or 3...or 4.

Value: GREAT. Far better than beers way more expensive in the style.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a kick ass beer! Great flavor. Great Drinkability.

I had this on tap at the Gingerman in Austin.

A: Cloudy yellow. White foamy head, which dissipated quickly.

S: Kind of weak aroma, but not bad. Citrus. Spice.

T: Sweet right away. Spicy and almost belgian in a way. I love this beer.

M: Zesty and sparkling. Medium body.

D: High. Easy to drink, but dangerous...

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale yellow, good amount of head with medium retention. The aroma to me is like the Weihenstephaner weiss
on steroids. Clove, banana, bubblegum and a bit of malts. The same on the taste, followed by a mild bitterness that lingers. Pretty robust flavors and great mouthfeel, fizzy and bready. Very nice.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From my tasting notes: It poured a cloudy golden color with a nice full creamy head and plenty of citrus on the nose. The taste had the signature German wheat beer tastes of banana, sweet candy, and a bit of citrus. The Vitus had a very creamy mouthfeel that spoke to its craftsmanship and elegantly balanced tasting experience. This was a great weizenbock and one that surprised me a bit as I didn't know what to expect. The Vitus is a beer to look for and one that will pleasantly surprise any beer lover.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Golden straw opaque with a thick 3-4 finger head that is frothy and bubbly.

S: wheat, peppery, and a nice bubble gum backbone.

T: Definite bock flavours present with maltyness present. Bubble gum of the German wheat beer comes through and compliments well. There is a slight pepper flavour also.

M: Well carbonated, creamy on the palate.

O: This is a great weizenbock. By far one of the best I've had.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I had been wanting to try this for a long time and today I finally picked up a bottle. I was expecting a great beer and my expectations were met and exceeded.

Pours hazy gold color with a clean white head that hangs around for a long time and leaves lacing on the glass.

Smells-Bananas and clove.

Tastes-Similar to the smell. Fantastic balance of sweetness and spice. Banana/bubblegum tastes up front. Some floral notes but this is for the most part a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel-Decent carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall- Another phenomenal beer from one of my favorite breweries. Must try.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a two finger cream colored head. Good retention, poor lacing on the glass.

Smell: Aromas of malted wheat, banana, honey, clove, bubblegum, tangerine and mild vanilla.

Taste: Exceptionally rich. Flavors of creamy malted wheat and oats thats slightly tart, amongst notes of mild cinnamon, clove, banana and bubblegum coming from the bavarian yeast. Finishes bittersweet with a mild bitter tropical fruit pith taste among more notes of pie crust, spice and creamy grains.

Feel: Dry upfront and quite yeasty. Alcohol is not detectable. Medium body, mildly carbonated.

Overall: Another gem from Weihenstephaner brewery.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance is murky golden with yellow tints. Massively fluffy head and nice lacing.

Nose is a musty sediment, with fresh wood, lemon, pine, and some sour candy.

Taste is candy-like, with sweet lemon, caramel malt, charred wood chips, sweet corn, and a pleasant tartness.

Mouthfeel is an interesting balance between zesty acidity and oil-slickness, with medium, grating carbonation.

Overall, it is a very good-tasting, complex wheat beer with much nuance.

A: copious effervescence, cloudy dark straw colour with good white foam

S: all the classic phenols, cloves, banana, citrus and of course yeast

T: at first sip, tastes like a top grade hefeweizen, banana and vanilla flavour with clean finish

M: just the right amount of carbonation to provide some astringency to prevent this fairly sweet beer from becoming cloying -

O: probably one of the best weizenbocks I've ever had (either this is an excellent beer, or I need to drink more of this genre . . . yes.)

Excellent price point for the quality of this beer, Would definitely put this on rotation as a go to Spring/summer beer.

Appearance – A light straw colour, or cloudy gold if you want to put it another way. This beer supporst a good ½ inch head of dense foam that lasts well and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell – There is obviously the smell of a typical wheat beer in here but there is also the hint of many fruits. Banana is one of the most obvious with some pear and lemon hints thrown in for good measure.

Taste – The taste follows the nose very closely but there are also notes of spicy cinnamon and biscuit with clove. To try to sum it up it tastes rather like a cake or a pie with a lot of fruit in it.

Mouthfeel – Very creamy with medium body and a slightly dry finish. There is no boozy warmth in this beer and I was surprised by that as it is quite strong.

Overall – Very soft on the pallet with sweet nip this wheat beer bagged itself the WBA best wheat beer award in 2012. Drink a bottle and you will see why. Fragrant with a hint of plum this beer is an absolute cracker and although strong at 7.7% it does not feel like a heavy beer at all.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan