Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Ratings: 3,435 |  Reviews: 1,188

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up just to try it, despite my general dislike of the usual banana and clove flavors found in hefeweissens.

Pours a beautiful clear gold with streaming bubbles and a large 3-4 finger head.

Aroma is the usual clove and banana. Kinda tricked me into thinking I made a mistake.

The taste, however, is much more subdued in the banana/clove tastes than I expected based on the nose. A pleasant wheat flavor is present, along with a very slight lemon/citrus tartness that helps move the taste along the finish.

Mouthfeel is basically perfect for a beer of this type.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. Glad I pushed my boundaries and tried something I normally wouldn't. Definitely would drink again.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - pours beautiful cloudy gold with 2 inch head

S - good bit of clove with hints of banana and malt

T - follows the nose but with quite a bit of sweetness

M - nice and creamy with perfect level of carbonation

O - not what I was expecting but I did enjoy it; but not as much as their dunkelweizen

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Gorgeous. Nearly perfect. The beer is a dark straw color, which in the fading evening light darkened as the glass widened. The head is thick and foamy and retains well, but eventually disappears entirely, leaving virtually no lacing.

S - This portends one awesome beer. The nose is phenomenal. You can smell the banana and spice medley that awaits.

T - The thing I liked most about the Hefeweizen and the Pilser are their subtleties. This one takes the delicious flavors of the Hefeweizen and amplifies them just a touch too much for my taste. Still delicious, but too strong. I can also begin to taste the alcohol in this 7.7 percenter.

M - Not great. Nothing really special here, although the up-front mouthfeel is nice.

O - Each category grew weaker as I progressed through the review, which basically mirrored my experience drinking it. Don't get me wrong, this is a tasty beer, and might be better consumed on a crisp fall day, but on this warm summer evening it was a bit much for me. Would absolutely drink again, but would choose the Hefeweizen 10 out of 10 times ahead of this one.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As summer goes, here goes summer. Pour into a SN wheat beer glass to give this weizenbock plenty of space for head. Not even an aggressive pour and I have a well formed 2-3 inch head. A cloudy pale golden wheat. Head does recede well into a quarter inch. Loads of carbonation put on a show.

On the nose I first get an overripe lemon followed by a clovey, banana scent. Definite bubblegum. Delish.

My first taste is, on the light side, bananas with a smattering of clove. Sweet lemon carbonation scrubs the tongue. Mild alcohol only if I go in and get it.

To me, the body is extremely light and spritzy. And yet there is a creaminess there.

A fantastic summer afternoon quencher, yea, you want to sit out in the sunshine to enjoy this. Yet this would be great all year long as a great change of pace. A superb brew!

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%