Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
brauerei-weihenstephan.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

Reviews: 1,171 | Ratings: 3,363
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a bottle into a wheat beer glass. Beer is yellow and cloudy. Forms a super thick white head of medium to large bubbles that falls away quickly allowing me to refill the glass with the remaining beer in the bottle. The breaking head leaves lacing on the glass as it fall. Carbonation is high and made up of medium bubbles that rise quickly through the beer. This beer is lighter than other weizenbocks but it looks great.

Aroma is simple and mild, sweet and slight esters, nothing too big.

Beer is medium bodied, has a nice wheaty flavor and a slight aftertaste that adds to the overall feel of the beer. Carbonation is big in the mouth and does a nice job accenting the sweetness of the beer. Drinkability is high, another wonderful beer by Weihenstephaner. It is truly great. Mouthfeel is good. Its a great beer. Weizenbocks have a tendency to get offensively sweet, this is not the case with this beer. You can taste the esters and there is some underlying sweetness but its not the star, its there to accent the wheat. I really enjoy this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Don't drink this one too cold or too warm. I served this one just below room temperature, and I feel that cellar temperature would be perfect.
I've never had a Weizenbock before, so this review compares Vitus to the Weihen. Hefe and my enjoyment of the beer overall, I will amend my review when I have more examples of the style.

A: Looks sort of like the Weihenstephan Hefe: hazy pale yellow with orange/gold highlights. Pours with a beautiful 4-finger billowing head that dissipates to a one finger while leaving plenty of lacing. The head never completely dissipates. Looks like a work of art in the my Weihenstephan weizen glass.

S: Mmm, some banana and clove upfront. The malt is pushed aside by a bit of alcohol astringency in the aroma compared with the hefe. I am getting a hint of apple and a surprising amount of orange in the aroma. There is some caramel and butterscotch in there with the malt aroma.

T: Bam! This has an unexpected alcoholic kick. This is similar to the Weihenstephan Hefe, but much stronger, and in my opinion, much more enjoyable if you are drinking it back to back with IPAs or strong ales. Less sweet than the Hefe, yet the malt isn't lost and the flavor is upfront. Clove is much stronger than the regular Hefe, and hop bitterness has been kicked up a notch (thanks, Emeril).
Alcohol warmth is definitely noticeable in this one, even to an excessive degree. I can even feel alcohol on the tongue. I am highly doubting that there is only 7.7% alcohol in the final product, I am catching a similar buzz after half of my bomber of Vitus that I catch after finishing a bottle of hopslam. Hops replace most of the fruity esters usually found in Weizens.
Orange and citrus seem to be a much welcomed newcomer to the flavor department, I am positive that the stronger presence of hops is doing this. Complexity seems to lack compared to the hefe.

M: The most creamy wheat beer I've had yet, it fills and expands your mouth like whipped cream. Yummy. Perfect carbonation and bottle conditioning.

D: This one sits a little heavy and feels a little astringent, it definitely lets it's 7.7% alcohol content be known. Even so, I can enjoy this one, but probably only one bomber at a time.

O: Unexpected alcoholic heat distracts me too much from the nice flavors and glorious mouthfeel. Even so, as usual, the World's oldest brewery has a solid beer on their hands. This example still hasn't convinced me that 'big' wheats work.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed 1/29/10

Poured into a tulip. Straw colored body. Poured 2 finger, fluffy white head. Good carbonation.

Smell was of ripe bananas and hints of cloves along with fruity esters. Mildy sweet smelling.

The flavor reflects the aroma pretty well. Banana flvors, slight cloves and spices. Mild sweetness. Yeast and belgian-like fruitiness.

Mouthfeel had a medium body with high carbonation. Slightly sticky.

Drinkability was good. Little signs of aby but has a great flavor.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A nice bright yellow color almost golden.Wow lots of white foamy head that dissipated slowly. Very slight lacing left behind.

Bananas, citrus, and spice the usual smells of a good hefe.

This thing was good bananas, bananas, and more bananas. Yeasty and wheaty follow with a hint of citrus left behind on the tongue. Actually one of the nicest aftertastes I have ever had.

Smooth, creamy a medium body to it a bit too much carbonation for the type for my tastes.

This is ridiculously drinkable. I could have multiple more. The alcohol is well hidden, hard to believe it is 7+%. This is just a great beer.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

16.9 from Savemore in Clifton Park.

A - golden, cloudy. 3/4" white foam.

S - predominantly banana bread. very inviting.

T - wheat, lemon, creamy. plenty of isoamyl acetate. really very good. kept putting this one off because the presentation (bottle) is lame, made me think of coffee/chocolate for some reason.

M - crisp, smooth carbonation.

D - outstanding. delicious and none of the other attributes take anything away from it. could have a 'few' on a nice warm summer evening.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Cloudy, light yellow color, with nearly an inch of head. This beer looks fantastic!

S: Bananas and spices. Some hints of citrus and yeast.

T: Lots of banana, sweet fruits (grapes, apples, pears). Tastes like a hefeweizen, but with much more intense flavors. Finishes off with some citrus notes.

M: Dry and light with plenty of carbonation. Really smooth, perfect for this style.

D: The balance is alttle strange, as many have said, this tastes like a hefeweizen on crack. I personally find the strong banana and fruit flavors very appealing. This is one of my favorites, and something I buy regularly, it's also pretty affordable.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Drunk from a "Vitus" glass that a freind gave me (thanks Andreas!) poured from a .5 liter bottle purchased from my local Stuttgart drink market.

Total home run! My favorite example of one of my favorite styles.

Appearance: Cloudy hazy yellow, with a slight hint of orange. Thick copious head that sticks around, and laces the glass nicely.

Smell: The usual weizen scents, bannana, a bit of citrus, and spice. No real indictor of anything but a weizen.

Taste: Fruit everywhere!! Apple in particular but also with an almost winey character that I think must come from the alcohol. Plenty of the other weizen flavors as well. Not so sweet as to be overwhelming though. Finishes nicely dry.

Mouthfeel: A nice smooth almost chewy feel. Carbonation is there, but not too strong.

Drinkability: Dangerous. High alcohol content, but I can drink these over and over again. The price is right here in Germany. (About a dollar per bottle when purchased by the case) I dread how much I'll have to pay for this when I return home to the States....

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a very hazed golden peach with a monstrous head of foam, which very slowly dissipates, leaving behind some very nice lacing. Lots of carbonation rushing to the top, and this continues for some time. The aroma is of a multitude of yeasty esters, the primary ones being--not surprisingly--clove (the most prominent), banana, and bubblegum. The taste is similar, but there is a certain cloying sweetness as well. A bit of the wheat seems to be coming through in the taste, although the mouthfeel is a little thin, so it's not coming through in that regard. Drinkability is quite high, especially given the high abv, which there is no trace of in the taste or mouthfeel.

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%

Single bottle (has a code, but not a date code I could interpret) poured into a weizen glass without disturbing the sediment at the end.

Appearance: Golden yellow hazy color with lots of bubbles coming up through the beer. Huge head that settles down to form and eggshell white foam with lots of lacing.

Smell: A bit musty, some hints of banana in there, but not as appealing in the glass smell-wise as it was when I cracked the bottle.

Taste: Apples and white grape, muted malt, and some of that classic German wheat beer tastes. Grapes stronger towards the end.

Mouthfeel: While the carbonation is quite obvious from looking at the beer, in the mouth it's not strong at all. Very smooth, quenching, and coating of the mouth all at the same time. Quite nice.

Drinkability: Went very well with a meal (Chicken cacciatore) and I'm thinking one 500ml bottle is enough for an evening. Not my favorite Weizenbock but it is good and I think it has potential to work well with a lot of other food. I'm wondering though if I stirred up the sediment and drank that too if my experience would be better. I've had Germans tell me this is the thing to do, and others tell me I'm nuts to do it. But I do notice a taste difference between the two routes so I'll have to try it again.

Stopped into Jaspers today to see what's what, and came across Vitus. First time sighting in my area, so I jumped. Only $2.99 for a 0.5l bottle, too.

Popped the cap and got a bit of foamage bubbling out. Yikes! I didn't have a weissbier glass right handy, so I poured Vitus into a Spaten stange. Color is a flat, muted golden, with a thin, fine white head. Carbonation is plentiful in the opaque liquid, hellbent on reaching the surface. The bubbles at the top form about 3/4" of head and slowly ebb back, leaving some lace here and there, but not a whole lot. Aroma is crisp and wheaty, clove and banana shining through. Has the typical weissbier mouthfeel; that being light and airy, dancing across the tongue, with a near-medium body.

Banana hits the palate first off, followed by a smidge of clove. It's a dry bier, with some subtle hints of green apple and pear also being present, and some yeastiness (though there was no sediment in the Flasche). No evidence of anything in the way of chocolate, which I have come to admire in the quintessential weizenbock - Aventinus. That's a hard bier to emulate, for sure. I find this more closely resembles an amped-up hefeweizen, somewhat like Ayingers weizenbock, on the whole. Still, Vitus is a fairly tasty, reasonably priced, solidly made, quite drinkable offering from the good Volk at Weihenstephan.

Prosit!

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: bright golden yellow in color, 3/4 inch head, high carbonation, cloudy

Smell: banana and a touch of lemon

Taste: huge dose of banana and a bit of wheat at the end

Mouthfeel: clean, light, high carbonation, sweet

Drinkability: Another really clean beer from this brewery. I love the lightness and the banana taste. I will be having this again. The alcohol is barely noticable.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Cloudy but bright yellow. I don't think a beer could have a fluffier head.

Smell: Bigtime yeast aroma, much like Weihenstephan's hefeweizen.

Taste: Lots of bready yeast, but enough pale wheat malt to bring things together. Very subtle spicing and just the faintest hint of alcohol. Very similar to their hefeweizen, minus the banana flavor. It's kind of like a hefeweizen on steroids, but not out of control.

Mouthfeel: Clingy and very smooth. Medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Flavor-wise, one could drink this all night long. But therein lies the conundrum: you won't taste the alcohol until it's already caught up with you.

Notes: This was my first weizenbock, and I'm very pleased. I found it to be very similar to this brewery's hefeweizen, with less banana flavor and a slightly richer flavor and body. The hefeweizen is great, but this takes the concept one step further with excellent results.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Very light cloudy pale yellow/orange hue for a Weizenbock. More like a Hefeweizen to me. Huge head as it pours which takes only a few minutes to dissipate.

Smell of bananas, bananas and you guessed it... banana bread! Also some orange, yeast and clove.

Taste is sensational. The spice and yeast take a back seat to the initial hit of banana and citrus flavours. You really only notice the alcohol as the spice kicks in at the finish.

Super creamy mouthfeel that gets creamier as the beer warms. Close to the best mouthfeel around.

I could drink this thirst quenching beer all day and night. This is quite possibly the best Hefe-Weiznebock beer in the world today!
I really don't think Weinstephan can produce a bad beer? Although completely different, it's up there with Korbinian as my fav from them.

CHEERS!

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

I wasn't sure if weizenbocks were filtered or not. Before pouring the last bit I admired the color as being somewhere between straw and gold. After a swirl and a pour of the final bit I happily admired the curling cloud that is characteristic of the falling yeast and proteins from a weissbier pour. There was a frothy-but-not-lacy persistent white head which gave off a lovely wheat aroma. The taste was wheaty, fresh-tasting, and thirst-quenching. It has medium carbonation, and overall is very re-vitalizing. Maybe it should be called 'Vivificus' instead of 'Vitus.' ; )

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a Weizen glass.

Hazy pale yellow-orange with a thick white layer of head gently settling after a brief few minutes.

Smells of buttery banana bread with some yeasty aromas peeking through.

Tastes of the nose, though with a citrusy bite in addition to the wonderful bananas. The only hint of the considerable 7.7%ABV comes on the immediate tail end of the swallow.

Vitus is creamy and smooth and super easy-drinking (which may or may not be the best, but hey!) Superior drinkability to say the least.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into pilsner glass.
Abundant head formed by tight bubbles drops to a tight cap over a hazy yellow-orange color.
Smells at first of lemon grass and yeast. A much deeper smell brings in a cidery banana smell with maybe spiced rum.
The taste starts with the sweet banana flavor the lemon grass, spice and yeast take a back seat. The flavors hit all parts of the tongue at once and disappear quickly leaving just a hint of alcohol fuming.
The carbonation pricks the mouth and doesn't foster a deep appreciation on each pull. It is a little thin.
Dangerously poundable beer that drinks really fast.

Not really my thing, but trying to judge it for what it is, I think this is a good example what the Germans do well.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Cloudy, orange fading to yellow with an insane amount of carbonation that twists and moves around like a snow globe. Bright white head that's so creamy it looks like I could sit the cap on top.

S - Traditional banana and clove wrapped in the tangy citric notes of the wheat, but turned up a ton. There are some light grainy notes as well that bring to mind freshly baked bread.

T - The same as the nose, but with every aspect being supported by an intense creaminess. The fruitiness is probably the most prominent aspect, with some apple notes backing up the banana. The intense creaminess works so well because the huge acidic wheat notes cut right through it. To top it off, the alcohol is hidden extremely well.

MF - Intensely creamy with tons of carbonation. It leaves the mouth feeling coated and the throat somewhat dry from the acidic flavor.

D - The best I've ever had for the style, and I think it's easy to say it comes from the fact that Vitus is essentially an 'imperial' hefeweizen and manages to be really refreshing despite the alcohol and intense flavor.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Citrus colored, huge white head, a little bit of lacing.

Definitely smell the wheat in this weizenbock - very prominent. Also, citrus, apples, honey, clove spice and bananas.

For being so soft, Vitus packs a PUNCH! Tastes like bananas, clove, grass or wheat, and bubble gum. In the back is citrus, caramel, honey, apples.

Feels soft and crisp in my mouth. Slightly bitter and bubbly. Sticky. Nice.

Great example of the style though my own tastes would've asked for less banana and bubble gum (not my two favorite things).

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a half liter stein.

Appearance: Unbelievably gorgeous cloudy orange, yellow body. Enormous 4 finger puffy, foamy and pillowy head that lasts and lasts. Nice lacing follows. Absolutley white pillow like head.

Smell: Smells like bananas foster with some nice earthy yeasty backgrounds. Orange peel, lemon zest and honey come to mind.

Taste: Exceptional bananas covered with honey and lemon and orange juice. Fantastic yeastiness. This is the best weizenbock i have had thus far. Great lingering sweetness that isnt over the top. Good amounts of herbed spices that are accented with a subtle grape like sweetness. Near perfect and the 7.7%abv is nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel: Solid carbonation, great weight on the palate. Nice and light, refreshing but at the same time complex and interesting. The beer changes slightly as it warms. Nice citrusy bite on the palate leaves the mouth dry and wanting more Vitus.

Drinkability: Its time to go back to the roots of the style. There are a few american versions of the weizenbock i have tried that dont compare to this at all. Truely this beer is getting me back to where it all started, Germany. Go grab one and enjoy!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a big honking white head that collapses into a cap that retains and leaves nice lacing.

S: Somewhat spicy clove, and very yeasty and bready. Subtle banana, but not as strong as I'd expected.

T: Very yeasty and fruity. The combination is quite banana bread-esque. There's also distinct apple, and a candy-like sugar beneath the fruit. The clove spiciness is strong and delicious. No hint of alcohol.

M/D: Very dry, which is an excellent compliment to the fruity spiciness. Light with fairly high carbonation. Supremely drinkable. A bit too sweet to be an everyday beer for me, but an excellent occasional treat.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a tumbler glass. From batch #5109.

Pours a hazy golden color with a very thick and frothy head that slowly goes away. Lots of carbonation bubbles up from the base of the glass. Smells of wheat, fruits, and bread. Not overpowering but fairly good smeller. Taste is extremely yeasty with some hints of bananas. Unique but good tasting. Definitely more of a weizen than a bock in both appearance and taste. Mouthfeel is creamy. Overall pretty solid beer from the oldest brewery in the world. Would be interested in seeing what other flavors pop out after a year or so of aging.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Weihenstephaner beers of every kind are delicious, and are usually an exceptional value, at least in Florida. 16.9 oz bottles seldom cost above $2.99. As John Tortorella once said, "I have never experienced such a value."

A - The beer pours a cloudy yellow-orange, with a very nice head & great retention. Visually, this is a textbook example of a wheat beer.

S - Fabulous fruity esters, banana, and clove jump out through the inch of foam that will not die.

T - The taste is great. Banana bread with a slight lactic sourness that quickly cedes to a crisp and clean finish.

M - Never say 'chewy'. Oops. How about creamy?

D - I can't drink this stuff all night, but it is a nice beer for many occasions. So I would say it is quite drinkable.

Overall I prefer Korbinian to all other Weihenstphaner beers, but there is not a bad one in the stable. Certainly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

On-tap at the Library Ale House in Santa Monica. Served in a .5L Weihenstephaner wide-mouthed chalice/tulip.

Cloudy peach-tinged amber body with a gorgeous shock-white head and pearling graceful lacing. Excellent retention. A bit brighter in color than I'm used to seeing for the style, but still, simply stunning.

Challah, ample (albeit somewhat subtle) melanoidins, banana, clove, and pepper aromatics.

Immense doughy malts coupled with light grape and banana esters and hints of vanilla. Lovely yeast flavors abound long into the finish which is balanced by a light (lactic?) acidity and a muscular dose of alcohol. Sophisticated with an emphasis on the "weizen" over the "bock" compared to many other examples.

Rich, somewhat effervescent, medium-full bodied with a milk-like creaminess (maybe just a touch slick).

Tried this on a whim while waiting for a new keg of Racer X to come on - very happy I did!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

A- hazy pale golden, looks just like a hefe. big creamy white head is full of wheat proteins and has excellent staying power. foam is very noisy and active and it bubbles like cheese under the broiler. tons of wavy lace as well. as the foam settles it maintains the shape of a baseball sized hemisphere in the center of my weizen glass.

S- estery vapors, yeast, clove, banana. a bit of sweetness and some white bread, apple and pear skin. very simple and very nice.

T- wheaty, bready, and very very yeasty, somewhat tart and fruity with extremely well hidden alcohol. this could easily pass for a hefeweizen under 5% abv. clove, banana, apple, pear, white grape, sweet basil, and very mild grassy hop flavor. alcohol dryness and some floral esters and a touch of alcohol bitterness become evident in the spicy, almost lemony finish.

MF- plush and creamy, this beer feels so much bigger than it looks while still possessing crisp, refreshing, drinkable qualities. could be the most refreshing 'almost big' beer i've ever tasted. powdery yeast feel and vigorous little carbonations balance each other superbly, allowing the yeast sensation to remain on the palate only momentarily before zipping it away leaving only slick wheat proteins and a delightful dryness behind.

D- there's no way a beer this size should be so easy to drink. it drinks like it's lil brother. it drinks like a soda. the well hidden alcohol and enjoyable dryness are partly to blame. the other finger is pointed at masterful craftsmanship. as far as i can remember, i haven't had a weizenbock this light, but i prefer this version to all others. it has the look, taste, and aroma that i love from a hefeweizen but with a soft chubby body and a real alcohol kick. a case in the basement would not be out of the question. in fact, it's a damn good idea.

3.11/5  rDev -27%

Taken from notes. Consumed on 12/19 when the server was down.

A-Pours a hazy, pale yellow with a white, two-finger head.

S-Smells of banana and cloves, and that typical spicy Hefe yeast with some wheat notes.

T-Follows the nose with banana and cloves, the spicy yeast, and wheat notes. I don't taste any alcohol. This tastes really close to a Hefeweizen for me, I'm not really discerning any difference.

M-The mouthfeel is not my thing, but it's appropriate for style. It's effervescent and tingling on the tongue with a thin body.

D-This goes down easy considering ABV, but it's really not my kind of thing. This is my first weizenbock and I'm open to trying others, but probably not this one again.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan