Weihenstephaner Vitus | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Weizenbock

Our light-coloured, spicy single-bock, “Vitus” is saturated with fine yeast and a creamy foam. It is a specialty with a round character based on the extra long storage time. The fruity smell of dried apricots joins aromas of citrus, cloves and hints of banana. Full-bodied and sparkling with an effervescent mouthfeel. Thus, the Vitus does not taste like a typical Bock beer but more like a noble, fruity wheat beer. Perfect with red meat, strong cheese and also able to guide desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by Bierman9 on 03-02-2007

#614

Ratings: 3,525 |  Reviews: 1,222

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I poured this weizenbock from a 16.9oz brown bottle into my tall Erdinger glass.

A= This beer is a sight to behold for sure. I poured it at just below cellar temperature and the head was amazing - 3" of snow white foam on top of a cloudy, pale gold beer. Huge amounts of carbonation release present.

S= I was really surprised that the aromas of this beer reminded me of Belgian yeasts rather than the usual German weiss. Instead of overpowering banana and clove, I found those aromas muted along side chalky, funky yeast and green apples and pears.

T= This beer tastes like an amped up, German version of a Belgian Wit (and I mean that as a compliment). I tasted much the same as I found in the aroma - banana, clove, green orchard fruits, and yeast. Very little hop presence. Alcohol was not a factor despite the ABV. Slightly tart/dry finish.

MF= Despite the huge carbonation level, this beer had a soft mouthfeel. Coated my tongue with pleasant tartness making me want more.

D= Wow, this was a damn good beer, easily the best German weiss bier I have ever had. I can see myself drinking a bunch more of these!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A classic Weizenbock that shows real depth and real class in the mouthfeel and use of hefe notes and the deeper darker aspects of the bock. I can't really find much to fault in this beer for the style as it is redolent of bananas and dark fruit with a luscious mouthfeel that really makes you want the beer never to end.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Beautiful brew. Excellent fruity yeasty esters. Banana and pear highlights along with a nice balancing act of nutty, bready, honey sweet malts and clove spice. Fruity, crisp, and refreshing. Finishes with a nice flavorful drying quality.

Weihenstephaner Vitus from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan