Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Weihenstephaner Festbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

A full rich bodied, hoppy, seasonal lager. Especially brewed for the Festbier season. This beer truly represents the Bavarian way of celebrating. Deep gold color, great mouth-feel and lots of flavor. Prost!

Added by mzwolinski on 10-27-2002

Ratings: 1,636 |  Reviews: 655

1.5/5  rDev -59.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.09/5  rDev -44.1%

Pours as a lemon-colored very clear brew, has a good sized 3-finger white head. Overall, nice appearance but the color is very very light. I don't quite like it being that light.

Smells musty, lemony, somewhat wheaty. Doesn't appeal to me but I know others would go wild over it. Somewhat below average for me.

Tastes old, musty, and has touches of citrus. Definitely not something that I like, hopefully I didn't get an old bottle since there is no freshness label or made-on date.

Mouthfeel is slippery, almost like an unfiltered wheat beer but it isn't cloudy and lightly carbonated. I'd say average mouthfeel.

Drinkability - didn't want to finish this beer. Just wanted to find something else that I wanted to drink. I might give it a try again if I can find something that I can ensure is 100% fresh and not take a risk on a bottle without a date again.

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

A pretty good pilsner. No resemblance to an Oktoberfest. A very drinkable beer but not what I was expecting.

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%

I'm not a big fan of most Pilsners, and even though this brew is classified as a Marzen I still felt like this was more like a Pils. Big time grassy notes on the palette which is not my favorite thing in beer. The more I drank of this brew, the worse it got. Normally when a good beer gets warmer the flavors get better. This one wasn't like that. I was very happy once I finished this because I was afraid that I wasn't going to.

2.12/5  rDev -43.3%

At Biergarten, Prov. RI 9/2/16
A. light
C. med. golden, shiny white wine look
F. clean, crisp
T, crisp, mild, similar to a light beer, no hop, not bitter

2.14/5  rDev -42.8%

It poured pale yellow with one finger of head and moderate carbonation. The head quickly retreated into a lite lacing.

It had an astringent off scent that was accented by hops. There was adjunct like qualities. No definitive barley or wheat malt characteristics from what I can tell.

It tasted bitter, slightly hoppy. Those astringent scent characteristics really took over in the taste department. It had a lite to medium body what was smooth and refreshing.

It's drinkable, but not very. I am not impressed. I had heard good things about this beer but it did not live up to the hype. I question the ability of this being sold as a Marzen. Not to be crude, but this is almost what I urinate after a night of drinking real Marzens.

2.24/5  rDev -40.1%

2.24/5  rDev -40.1%

pours a pale yellow color. It's very clear. Backlighting gives it a distinct yellow color. A foamy white head tops it. It stands about a finger and a half tall and falls relatively quickly. ABV? Perhaps. Lacing was a little sticky, but very light. Meh. Not exciting.

The nose is below average. It's very weak, and doesn't feature much in terms of aromatics at all. It's earthy and grainy throughout. There's definitely a corn scent that's prominent. Alcohol is noticeable, but isn't overwhelming. That pretty much wraps it up. Not much to smell here.

The flavor is a little better actually. This isn't the pungent beast I anticipated. Is it good? Absolutely not. But it's far from the worst beer I've ever had. It kicks off with a strong corn flavor. It should come as no surprise that that flavor lingers throughout. There are some earthy and grainy flavors that aren't altogether bad. I'm getting a tad bit of sweet malt. It does a decent job of holding things together. Alcohol is definitely there, but this is a malt liquor after all. What'd you expect? Finishes a little sweet and corn-y (no pun intended).

Body that's on the light side of medium. Carbonation is active. While it doesn't feel smooth, it doesn't have a bad feel. Drinkability is below average. Eh. The flavor's alright, but there's not enough here to really draw you in. It's not a disaster, but I'm not enjoying it. Finish the can? Eh. We'll see about that.

Now that you have read that I hi-jacked that from a review for Steel reserve by prototypic, this beer for the $12 a six that I payed really is no more impressive nor does is it really any different than steel reserve (it tastes almost identical to a malt drink I had once at a friends called clear creek ice) or for that matter anything that comes in a 40 and is drank from a paper bag.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours pale straw yellow in color. No head whatsoever. Also has little to no carbonation bubbles present.

This has a very imported aroma, if a beer could have such a thing. I would consider passing it off as mildly skunky, but I do not think thats the case.... it just has a certain smell to it that I cant call anything other than "imported". Malts are present here, but they dont take a forward approach like the other octoberfests I've enjoyed.

Just pinch of that skunkiness comes through in the flavor, not nearly as much as the aroma. Slight oxidation.

Honestly speaking here, for a classic german brewery making a style of beer I've already come to love, I am completely unimpressed with this.

2.37/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.38/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

L - medium gold with a coarse head that was replaced by a thinner and creamier one due to the lively carbonation.
S - Bright, stinging hoppiness. No malt or sweetness.
T - Total pale Euro lager. Consistent with the smell but crazy off for the style.
F - Same as taste.
O - Thank god it was not a blind tasting. I'm sure my guess would have been insulting, quite possible creating an international incident.

2.42/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured from a 500ml. bottle. Leaves less than one finger of a white head that quickly dissappears, and leaves very small trace amounts of lacing. Body is clear gold, looking like a Helles Lager or Euro-Lager rather than a Marzen with a Marzen's characteristic orange-amber hue.

Smell - cooked veggies, slight aroma of toasted malt biscuits. Not promising. I smell a disappointing Euro-Lager here.

Taste - as promised by the nose, which is to say not much. Cooked veggies with a faint hint of toasty malt biscuits, washed with some sour grassy hops. This tastes like a mediocre, mass produced Euro-lager, and nowhere near a Marzen. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel - medium to thin bodied.

Drinkability - This is certainly not a Marzen, and it is not very good, not even as a Euro Lager.

2.48/5  rDev -33.7%

You know, these new fangled blonde fest/marzens just don't cut it with me. As a pale lager it's not bad, not great, but not bad. As a fest, it's the requisite malty, easy drinking beer. But the key red/Vienna malt thing is ignored. Oh well. Served with a nice, white, foamy, frothy head and lots of lace. Color is a clear yellow gold. Aroma is a very mild malt. Flavor show's a lot more hop (fest?) bitterness and good balance with the malt, so I have some decent bittersweet flav. Body is quite good and so is carbonation. Finish is quintessential pale lager. Session beer for a pale lager but NOT for a fest/marzen.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's a wheat beer. Not my favorite Marsden by far.

Weihenstephaner Festbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan