Weihenstephaner Original | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

A good beer takes its time. The long storage makes our yellow bright lager, “Original”, a flavourful beer enjoyed with fine poured, white foam. With a mild hoppy note and its pleasant fresh spicy taste, it goes very well with salads, poultry, stews or with a hearty snack. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by kbub6f on 12-30-2000

Ratings: 2,307 |  Reviews: 903

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

For my first review, I'll write up one of my favorite warm weather beers. This is a perfect lager, one of the best I've ever had. Light floral nose with honey notes. Delicious, full mouth feel and crisp refreshing flavor, honey, honey. Sweet without being cloying, one sip begats another until its all gone. Love this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours out in a clear gold color with a fluffy head and lots of carbonation.

The aroma has a very Pilsner style aroma. There’s quite a decent amount of grassy hops, biscuit malt.

The flavor follows with that grassy hop flavor, but without the same type of bitterness that I would associate with Czech pilsners. It’s very darn refreshing. For those that aren’t in love pilsners, this is a good place to start. The grassiness nor bitterness are overpowering.

High drinkability, distinct grassiness, crisp flavor. A wonderful session beer. One of my favorite lagers.

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

EDIT : Altered my review slightly after 2nd go-'round with this brew.

16.9 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Rather average lager. Very light golden, decent amount of carbonation happening. Good, thick head that lasted a while.

S - Not much happening. Smelled like an adjunct lager to be honest, maybe not as dank. Some bready aromas.

T - Did taste better the second time around, but I'm suprised this beer is rated so high. Munich Helles is my favorite style of beer, and this is one of the top rated in the world. Can't believe this, but it tasted like a less offensive adjunct lager. Not as much corn filler, and maybe a bit more hoppiness. Disappointing. Not an offensive beer, but again, tastes to me like a less offensive AAL.

F - It's only positive, really. Light in a good way and crisp. Nice amount of carbonation.

O - Quite disappointed. This brew comes nowhere near my 4-5 favorite (as of now) Helles lagers. A very average beer without much going for it. Wouldn't mind trying this on tap, but I doubt I'll ever buy a bottle again.

Weihenstephaner Original from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan