Weihenstephaner Original | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

A good beer takes its time. The long storage makes our yellow bright lager, “Original”, a flavourful beer enjoyed with fine poured, white foam. With a mild hoppy note and its pleasant fresh spicy taste, it goes very well with salads, poultry, stews or with a hearty snack. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by kbub6f on 12-30-2000

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,317 |  Reviews: 905
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color was a very nice golden clean and active blonde like a good lager,the head was a bit flat,and the lacing was lacking. The smell was a very nice bready,sweet malty odor. The tase was that as well,but a tad bitter at the end. Still very good ,just not quite as balanced to me as a samuel smith or even a paulaner,I did love this beer,however.

Surprised I have not reviewed this one yet.... I went to a tasting last night and a short conversation made me think about the beer styles I hold true... A good Helles makes my top tier every time.

Picked this bottle up at the COOP... Poured into my small weizen glass... nice foamy white head... good lacing the brew is clear straw... beautiful.

Clean.. the word of the day is CLEAN... pale malts and just hints of hops.. nice... loving it.

Pale malts.... balance on a teetertotter... near perfect bitterness... the hops seem a bit stale.. spicy but muted. Clean with some minor sulfur.

Body is smooth and wonderful... nice... no complaints.

Great brew... seemingly out of place this time of year, but I am not complaining.. very drinkable and inviting... I wish got another bottle for tonight.

All 4's....

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass.

A. Crystal clear pale yellow with a good effervescence and a white head.

S. Plenty of sweet grainy aromas, a touch of grassiness and some floral notes.

T. Sweet grains again, a herbal, floral flavour from the hops and a decent bitterness in the finish.

M. Super clean and crisp with a carbonation that's not OTT.

O. I'm generally an ale drinker, brought up on English bitter, and lagers don't often find their way into my fridge. This is one that does. It's an excellent example of the style; clean, refreshing, full of all the right flavours.

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Appearance- Pours a mostly clear straw yellow with a big white head. Spotty lacing occurring as I drank it.

Taste- Very bready and sensational hops kind of overwhelming to me. This was my first beer of this specific breed so I didn't know what to expect.

Overall- I might have received a bad batch of this or something but haven't gotten back around to it. Definitely not my style but I'm sure if its good enough for the Bro's its good enough for others.

Pours a golden yellow color with a half finger white head, which quickly disappears. Extremely clear and clean looking brew- very easy to see through. Decent lacing on my glass as well. The nose is grass, lemon, mild hops, and a little bit of malt. Very pleasant, and clean. The taste follows the same suit, and has a nice mild sweetness to it. The feel is well carbonated, medium bodied, and has a clean, sweet finish. Overall, a nice refreshing beer. Cheers.

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

I am not much of a lager drinker but this beer was part of the beer list that I'm working on at my local pub, I was pleasantly surprised!

A- crystal clear light straw color with a small white head, not the typical carbonation bubbles running crazy like many lagers.

S- sweet grains, straw, grass, earthy, with a bit of lemon. Very clean.

T- light clean hop bitterness balances perfectly with with sweet malts. Nothing overpowers here.

M- velvety light-medium body with a great carbonation level. Most lagers tend to be over-carbonated for me, this one makes it very drinkable.

O- I was very surprised with this brew. Lagers aren't normally my cup of tea but this would be an excellent introduction to a newbie drinker. So much better than the main stream lagers out there. It actually has taste, and is well balanced. And at just over 5%, it's also a great session beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I poured 2 11.2 oz bottles into a Seidel which produced a white foamy head.

Smelled of grains, rice, and light spice, herbaceous.

Tasted much like it smelled, with grains and herbaceous qualities. Citrus and lemongrass.

The beauty to this beer is how it is perfectly balanced. When I think of "beer" this is probably the quintessential example of lager. Forget Bud, MGD, or the others; this is a reasonable price and great beer for the same occasions.

While I am always trying new and different crafts, this is one to stay in the fridge all the time.

Weihenstephaner Original from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan