Original Alkoholfrei

Original AlkoholfreiOriginal Alkoholfrei
Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 21 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

I love it. Look, smell, and flavor and on point. Feel is lacking which I guess is the lack of alcohol. Overall, I'd drink this again as I love normal weihenstephaner original and this is not too far removed from it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Okay, so I'm febfasting this year, so the next few reviews are going to be of the alcohol free variety. First up is the Weihenstephan original, 500ml bottle with a best before of 10/09/2020, poured into a 500ml Weihenstephan glass stein.

Look: Golden yellow, about 1-2 inches of fluffy white head that sticks around for ages, leaving sticky lacing down the side of the glass. Looks great.
Smell: sweetish and grainy, a little corn and maybe some grassiness in there toward the end but I'm really searching here. Not unpleasant, but nothing to write home about.
Taste: Sweet and malty straight up, I'm getting some corn and grain. There is some bitterness towards the middle. Possibly a little fruity and a little floral and grassy towards the end.
Feel: light, spritzy, a little bitterness fills the back of the palate, but not much in the way of length.
Overall: It's hard to judge. It's certainly tastier than some of the alcoholic beers I've had, and is a very good non-alcoholic beer, a good substitute if you cannot drink. That said, I would rarely choose to drink this one.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Perfectly translucent golden yellow, looks the part of an authentic pils. Cap of persistent, soft white head -- excellent lacing around glass. Ample but not excessive carbonation.

Very grainy aroma, slightly corny and sweet, smells more like fresh wort than cold beer. The smell of this brew is the low point for me.

Taste is surprisingly complex for an NA beer, nicely hopped, but a crisp malty character shines through. Finish is slightly sweet, mouthfeel is a tad on the thin side but that's actually a compliment here -- was expecting far less body for something reasonably dry with negligible alcohol.

Overall, a very pleasant surprise in the non-alcoholic category. This one, and the NA weizens from Schneider or Krombacher are the only commercial products I've tried that almost taste like the real thing. Of the three, this comes the closest by far. I'm fairly certain I could fool some of my friends with a glass. In all honesty, this is better than many alcohol-containing pilsners I've tried over the years.

3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle - while 'negotiating' with my 4-year old in the beverage and salty snack aisle of our local chain grocery store, I glanced askew, and what do I see? A freakin' Weihenstephaner label! Now, since we don't sell beer in such places in Canada, I had to reset my bearings, and realized I was looking at the NA 'beer' selection. Still cool, I gotta say.

This beer (I know) pours a clear, very bright pale golden yellow colour, with two zaftig fingers of puffy, rocky, and mildly bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some decent sticky iced windowpane lace around the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of gritty and grainy pale malt, corny breakfast cereal, some watery minerality, a subtle old-world yeastiness, ephemeral pome fruity notes, and some tame earthy, leafy, and floral noble hop bitters. The taste is grainy and crackery pale malt, wet rocks, more minor yeasty esters, some plain apple and green grape fruitiness, and a plain weedy, musty, and floral green hoppiness.

The carbonation is fairly active in its frolicking frothiness, the body a solid medium weight, and generally smooth, with a nice airy creaminess arising as things warm up a tad around here. It finishes off-dry, the fruity malt pretty much holding the lingering stranglehold.

Overall - this is a perfectly tasty, malt-forward lager, one where the lack of alcohol isn't necessary apparent. If you insist on having something that has real boy beer flavour, but, have to operate heavy machinery or the like, then, buddy, this one's for you!

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

I really liked it. I've really found a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like beer. There is a refreshing taste of beer but without a real beer acohol. Repeat the test again.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Drank from my Stella tulip.

A - Pours a nice Golden straw colour with a tight two fingered head that laces.

S - Nice grains and malt on the nose.

T - Quite watery with a grainy mid palate the finish is quite sticky and bitter. A little unpleasant.

M - Light to medium body with medium to full carbonation.

O - Would not be a beer of choice in the non-alcoholic category.

Original Alkoholfrei from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan