Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Weihenstephaner Original Alkoholfrei | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by eric5bellies on 08-20-2011

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

500ml bottle - while 'negotiating' with my 4-year old in the beverage and salty snack aisle of our local chain grocery store, I glanced askew, and what do I see? A freakin' Weihenstephaner label! Now, since we don't sell beer in such places in Canada, I had to reset my bearings, and realized I was looking at the NA 'beer' selection. Still cool, I gotta say.

This beer (I know) pours a clear, very bright pale golden yellow colour, with two zaftig fingers of puffy, rocky, and mildly bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some decent sticky iced windowpane lace around the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of gritty and grainy pale malt, corny breakfast cereal, some watery minerality, a subtle old-world yeastiness, ephemeral pome fruity notes, and some tame earthy, leafy, and floral noble hop bitters. The taste is grainy and crackery pale malt, wet rocks, more minor yeasty esters, some plain apple and green grape fruitiness, and a plain weedy, musty, and floral green hoppiness.

The carbonation is fairly active in its frolicking frothiness, the body a solid medium weight, and generally smooth, with a nice airy creaminess arising as things warm up a tad around here. It finishes off-dry, the fruity malt pretty much holding the lingering stranglehold.

Overall - this is a perfectly tasty, malt-forward lager, one where the lack of alcohol isn't necessary apparent. If you insist on having something that has real boy beer flavour, but, have to operate heavy machinery or the like, then, buddy, this one's for you!

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

I really liked it. I've really found a non-alcoholic beer that tastes like beer. There is a refreshing taste of beer but without a real beer acohol. Repeat the test again.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

What can I say very tasty especially that mild sweet malt aftertaste.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Drank from my Stella tulip.

A - Pours a nice Golden straw colour with a tight two fingered head that laces.

S - Nice grains and malt on the nose.

T - Quite watery with a grainy mid palate the finish is quite sticky and bitter. A little unpleasant.

M - Light to medium body with medium to full carbonation.

O - Would not be a beer of choice in the non-alcoholic category.

Weihenstephaner Original Alkoholfrei from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan