Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

#215

Ratings: 8,432 |  Reviews: 2,549

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.04/5  rDev -76.4%

1.5/5  rDev -66%

1.5/5  rDev -66%

1.71/5  rDev -61.2%

1.75/5  rDev -60.3%

1.75/5  rDev -60.3%

1.76/5  rDev -60.1%

I had heard so much about Weihenstephaner that I bought the only style available that I could find in my area and that was the Hefe Weissbier kind. It was a mistake on my part as apparently I do not like this beer.

Poured the beer had a lovely gold color and the head was huge so I was looking forward to drinking this beer. Honestly, the appearance is amazing.

Then I smelled the beer and it actually turned my stomach. I'll give it another chance someday but perhaps I may just have gotten a bad bottle. It has an aroma similar to a overhopped gin bouquet.

Taste has a wheat-orangish lemonish flavor to it. The wheat is overpowering and I definitely didn't enjoy tasting it as I wasn't able to taste very much of the subtler undertones.

The mouthfeel was pretty smooth but the taste and smell both overpowered the mouthfeel so that's why I rated it so low on the mouthfeel as well.

Overall, it was pretty hard for me to drink this beer and I ended up having to pour it down the drain. Such a waste of a beer that's probably exceptional for everybody else.

1.84/5  rDev -58.3%

2.18/5  rDev -50.6%

2.25/5  rDev -49%

Ever since I heard of Weihenstephaner, I've been eager to try it. It's only my second hefeweizen after Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss, which I did not enjoy very much. Still eager to develop a taste for the style, I thought I would try a hefeweizen that is generally considered the best in the world. If I don't like this, I may as well give up on the style.

Serving: Undated pint bottle. The label suggests to serve this beer cold, so I got it nice and cool in the coldest part of my fridge before trying it, but made sure not to make it 'ice' cold.

Look: Fantastic. However, I poured a bit too agressively and it produced a giant, frothy, meringue-like head, that settled down eventually but still retained a wonderful shape as it settled down to a reasonable size. Color is a dense golden yellow, without any transparency.

Smell: Up front and center was that same band-aid flavor found in Kellerweiss, and it seemed to dominate-YUCK. On the positive side, there was that sweet malt distinctive to hefeweizens, and possibly the faintest bit of banana.

Taste: Pretty much band-aids and bubble gum. It was difficult to finish.

Feel: Well carbonated, as you could imagine, but almost felt creamy.

Overall: After being disappointed by Kellerweiss, I was willing to give Hefeweizens one more shot with what is arguably the benchmark of the style, but sadly ended up getting disappointed once more. I understand that it is intended for the yeasts to give off a flavor similar to this, and that many other people enjoy it, but it is just not for me, and I think it's only fair for my score to reflect my own experience with the beer. I guess I'm one of those people who are too sensitive to the yeasts/phenols for this kind of beer to be enjoyable. For now I will give up on this style, or maybe try a kristalweizen next.

2.25/5  rDev -49%