Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

4.4
10%

Ratings: 8,361 |  Reviews: 2,536

2.76/5  rDev -37.3%

2.81/5  rDev -36.1%

Disappointment truly is a hard thing to swallow and in this case somewhat literally. As a lover of beer and all that it has to offer, I sometimes find myself at odds with my worldly and often better educated beer peers. While some revel in the rebel spirit, I find more often than not that rebels are simply ignorant of the point and rebel for the simple sake of rebellion. I like to think that with the years I've grown in both taste and the ability to see the positions of others. However in this case, I must simply disagree.

Weihenstephaner's Hefeweizen(for my peers outside of old Europe) is highly regarded and it appears to be seen as a genre defining creation. However I wonder, who defines this genre? Does it change with time? And finally isn't enjoyment ultimately the thing that matters most? Coming from the northwest region of the United States, I find Hefeweizens to be mostly defined as a cloudy citrusy affair with a bright white head. However recently I've found newer breweries bringing back more of those delicious banana and clove tones that I so adore. Which is why I am so disappointed in this genre "original".

Appearance is exceptional for the genre and quite appealing visually with its mysterious orange yellow body and glass clinging white head. The smell is quite good as well if not a bit subdued. When we reach the taste though, this beer goes south immediately with a strangely aggressive carbonation. From there one is reminded somewhat of a pilsner with a lemon wedge on the side and to top it off, it leaves with a hint of iron and bitterness drying your tongue. Where is the banana? Where are the cloves? I want my smooth mouthfeel and delightful characters damn it! Instead I'm left with a mediocre beer that languishes and slowly warms much to my disinterest.

To be fair though, where I'm at is nearly half way around the world from this beers origin and perhaps I may have gotten a bad bottle or two. I've always said, "fresh beer is best beer". Though to play devils advocate, I have had an exceptional hefeweizen from the same area, in the same bottle and stored in the same manner with nary a complaint. I don't know, all I do know is I don't get this beer, I don't want this beer and will not be having it again anytime soon when so many more exciting and satisfying options surround me.

Label - 2
I include this with each bottle/can review because I feel that for the average consumer to even approach an unknown beer, it's the packaging that entices rather than the actual end product. Points and half points are given for Style, Readability, Tasting Note, Brewers Notes and Ease of Bottle Reuse.

2.83/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Heavy taste.

2.86/5  rDev -35%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 2.5

I've been wanting to try this style of beer and figured I might as well try a world class style defining brew so when I saw this at the store I picked it up with high hopes. For starters this is truly a gorgeous looking beer and has one of the best heads I've seen. When it came to trying the beer though I quickly reached the conclusion that this style just isn't for me. I'm generally not a fan of wheat beers and this one just didn't agree with my palate. Strong wheat flavor with slight banana, clove, floral and maybe bubblegum notes. Again this seems like a well made beer and I'm sure it's great if you enjoy similar styles but this one just isn't for me, I didn't enjoy it.

2.95/5  rDev -33%

2.98/5  rDev -32.3%

Passable.

2.98/5  rDev -32.3%

Had great expectations about this one.
Pours a quite hazy straw coloerd glass. There is about two fingers of weak white head that quickly settles to only a lacing.
The aroma is grainy (wheat), but quite mild. Also slighty yeast and alcohol aroma.
The taste starts with sweet grains, the body is bitter and it has a slightly stale feel. There is a bitter finish.
It's a nice beer, but... not really what I expected.

Traditional and a must for beer fans

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan