Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

4.4
10%

Reviews: 2,513 | Ratings: 8,251
3.5/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Being completely honest, I'm being generous with my numbers above owing to the beer's reputation and my own style preferences and biases. I used to love wheat beers before my IPA and imperial stout days; now, everything else seems to fall short. Additionally, I drank this particular beer immediately after Stone Enjoy By DIPA, which provided a more immediate contrast.
It was beautiful to look at - cloudy and golden with a huge head with good retention and lots of bubbles rising. Aroma is of funky overripe banana, wheat, yeast, lemon, spice. Taste is similar and very wheaty. A tiny bit of sweetness, sourness, and bitterness all balanced together all the way through the finish. There was also a note of artificial lemon juice that I did not enjoy.
I appreciate that it is well crafted but it is not my cup of tea these days so maybe I shouldn't be reviewing it in the first place. I do recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys wheaty beers.

3.94/5  rDev -10.5%

Bought this to compare with some of the local Hefeweizens. Hazy, cloudy yellow, lots of carbonation, tall, thick, white head. Nice hefe aroma, banana & clove. Moderate to full mouth feel, tingly from the carbonation. Taste of banana and the wheat. Excellent, easy drinking hefe.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Everything with this beer is great. You can drink it any time in any condition. Very aromatic with a fruity smell. So easy to drink and goes down through your throat as if it is water. I love its history and golden look. Could be the best Weissbeer.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a beautiful foamy white head that has excellent retention and leaves behind a bit of sticky lacing.

The aroma features clove and banana.

Tastes of banana with a really nice wheat character.

Fuller bodied and quite smooth.

Absolutely world class.

4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours gold with some orange notes. Rich thick off white head with good lacing. Nose of spice, yeast, clove corriander, some malt/fruit sweetness. Mouth rich and full, banana, cloves, yeast.

4.56/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours hazy golden yellow with a nice frothy, large, 3 finger, lasting, white head that leaves less lacing than expected from the size of the head. Aroma is wheat, yeast, banana, orange, with some coriander & lemon notes. Taste is bready wheat malt, banana & some clove to give a hint of bubblegum, dry, lightly biting, bitter finish. Very pleasant & refreshing.

4.34/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a very hazy, cloudy shade of honey gold with a huge, frothy, creamy white head that takes forever to recede to a half finger slightly rocky cap. There are many sticky spots of lacing left on the glass. Absolutely gorgeous.

The smell is excellent. Banana and clove are most apparent with peppery spice, bubblegum and wheat.

Taste is the same. The banana flavor comes on strong at the beginning, but is swept aside by clove and pepper on the finish.

Feel is medium bodied and very smooth. I wish there was a bit more carbonation.

Overall a great hefeweizen. Very flavorful, smooth and easy drinking. Definitely worth the price of admission and a must try for any fan of the style.

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

I never cared for wheat beer. Then came a trip to Munich for Oktoberfest. I love Helles Lager, but tried the veal sausage with Hefeweiss. It was a marriage made in heaven. I discovered Weihenstephaner back in the States and also found their Helles Lager. What a pour! Yellow and cloudy with an absolute thick creamy head. The taste is a mixture of banana and cloves and hangs in there for every swallow. It is actually GREAT! Added to their Helles Lager these beers are my staples. I don't get out often anymore, but these are staples at home. No doubt that this brewery really knows its stuff!

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Fabulous, simply fabulous. Nice golden yellow pour with a perfect foamy head. For me there were hints of spice on the nose and a wonderfully rich yeasty taste with a full mouth feel and hints of banana on the finish. Went superbly with my pasta; a beer that is as good as beer gets.

3.89/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy golden color with with no head. Not a strong smell but has a clover taste. For the world's oldest brewery I can see why they're still in business. A nice beer.

4.75/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite german beer. I'm lucky to have it on draft near me at the Iron Abbey. I love to drink it from a tall pilsner glass with a medium head. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clear straw appearance with a significant white head that desipates quickly. Nice fruity banana aroma. Smooth clean fruity and mild banana flavor that is very refreshing

this is one of my favorite beers so it gets all 5s. weihenstephaner knows their stuff on Bavarian beers and this is the perfect example it pours with a nice head and has a wonderful taste and aroma.

3.83/5  rDev -13%

Pours with a large but very quickly dissipating head. Not much lacing. Straw-colored and cloudy.

Aromas of esters very forward and prominent--banana and citrus as expected, and very pleasing. Bubblegum sweetness in the background. Very little if any phenolic spice. Very little yeast. Rather subdued overall, but still a fine aroma.

Tastes much like the aroma in the same order of prominence, with the esters perhaps overpowering the other aspects. Banana and gingerbread flavors immediately come to mind, with a touch of pepper in the aftertaste. Not sickly sweet, but perhaps a bit sweeter than expected.

The mouthfeel is remarkably full-bodied, and even slick, but with a nice crisp finish, doubtless from strong carbonation.

Overall a fine brew that I will likely try again for a re-rate, just in case I got an "old" bottle. I like wheat beers, including others by this brewer, but was somewhat disappointed in what others have found to be the "paragon" of the style. This one checks all of the boxes for a Hefe, but seemed out of balance, with too much emphasis on the sweetness, and not enough yeast and spice.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A perfectl done bavarian beer. It's low on ABV so not overwhelming. It has a light banana flavor but in general, nothing that I would add to a hefe beyond what this one has.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Schlafly tulip glass. Pours an opaque golden color, with a thick creamy white head that clears quickly. Even though hefeweizen isn't my favorite style, this is the best one I've had. I would buy this again and could definitely drink a few.

First had 6/24/16 at Ocean. A traditional Weiss beer, nice notes of banana and clove. Yeast is prominent, super fine foam that doesn't dissipate, and layers nicely down the glass.

3.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Great banana smell and flavor. I get a little spice, but the banana mostly overwhelms it. Good mouth feel overall, but the finish is a tad watery if I'm being picky. Very smooth with good carbonation. Tough to beat for the price.

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

How can you question the #1 brew in Germany? It is smooth balanced spice and banana. Easy drinking. A regular brew to keep in your house. Get this and drink lots.

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - golden, hazy, cloudy, with a nice foam head
Aroma - strong banana, hints of clove. Yeasty
Flavor - follows through on aroma, banana/clove, wheaty sweetness. Clean finish
Feel - well balanced, pretty smooth and creamy, medium/full body
Overall - very good example of a traditional Hefe, would drink again

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

One of my favorites overall. A very easy to drink beer, with a clean finish but is heavily carbonated. Beer has the typical Hefe look of hazy orange, and the taste has hints of banana and maybe cloves in it. Super refreshing beer.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I got this beer at my local super market the label caught my eye. "Weihenstephaner Worlds Oldest Brewery" had a nice ring to it. I poured the beer into a 24oz glass. Pours with a big head that takes some time to dissipate. In my glass, the beer has a dark yellow top. The bottom of the glass seems to be a lighter yellow. It is a nice, "eye catchy" flow. The beer smells very fruity. I can smell very sweet fruit like Bananas and apples, as well as floral hops. It's an overall very pleasant smell. The taste is very different. I have never tasted a beer that tastes quite like this. It tastes very fruity and a little dry. I can defiantly taste the dryness of bread and corn. The beer is also very sweet with a slight barley noticeably banana taste. It also has a nice slight hint of lemon. The taste really blends together as you swallow it. Reminds me of a beer that would be marketed as a "sumer Ale." It kind of reminded me of a better version of AtWaters, "Dirty Blonde." Overall, it is something that is very different. I would buy it again, I liked it.

4.06/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L-Beautiful hazy golden yellow beer.
S- Lots of fermentation to me. Haven't had much of this style, but I get strong strong notes of yeast, banana, and clove. Powerful smelling beer that is almost overwhelmed by the scent of yeast.
T-Much sweeter than expected at first, then once I continued to sip it became less and less sweet and more mellow and yeasty. I get notes of banana in this beer, also clove. Very pleasant and wonderfully put together.
MF- mellow and slight carbonation that makes for a very well balanced and drinkable beer.
O- Well crafted and neatly balanced beer. A pure joy to drink for a very likable price range. Will seek out again.

3.99/5  rDev -9.3%

Honestly slightly underwhelmed with this. Good traditional Hef? Certainly. Best in the world? Probably not. Too much yeast and not enough clove/bubblegum for my tastes. I'd choose my local Hef champ (Live Oak) over this any day. Maybe its just that it isn't as good in a 6-pack?

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in a Weihenstephan lager glass. Thin, persistent head. Golden straw color.

Nose of wheat, banana, and mild clove

Taste follows, with a fantastic balance of the standard wheat beer flavors. Wheaty, but also containing smooth fruit presences.

Mouth is very refreshing.

A brewery does not operate a millennium without doing something right, and Weihenstephaner has produced platonic ideal of a wheat beer in this one.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan