Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

#224

Ratings: 8,583 |  Reviews: 2,576

4.36/5  rDev -1.1%

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

4.44/5  rDev +0.7%

4.08/5  rDev -7.5%

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

First beer on the native soil of Germany was this delicious delight. Perfect blends and crisp taste.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was poured into a weizen glass.
The appearance was a nice yellow to off white cloudy orange color with a thick two to three finger foamy white head. Lacing slides down the sides nicely.
The smell had a really nice yeasty to breadiness inside of a light orange - ish citrus atmosphere, reminiscent of refreshing qualities running all over.
The taste was mainly sweet and bready citrusy notes.
Crisp refreshing but not watery citrus aftertaste and sweet bready finish.
The mouthfeel was sticky sweet breadiness running over my mouth.
Overall, this is more than just a standard for a hefeweizen. In my opinion, this is the end all and be all of hefeweizens.

2.25/5  rDev -49%

Ever since I heard of Weihenstephaner, I've been eager to try it. It's only my second hefeweizen after Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss, which I did not enjoy very much. Still eager to develop a taste for the style, I thought I would try a hefeweizen that is generally considered the best in the world. If I don't like this, I may as well give up on the style.

Serving: Undated pint bottle. The label suggests to serve this beer cold, so I got it nice and cool in the coldest part of my fridge before trying it, but made sure not to make it 'ice' cold.

Look: Fantastic. However, I poured a bit too agressively and it produced a giant, frothy, meringue-like head, that settled down eventually but still retained a wonderful shape as it settled down to a reasonable size. Color is a dense golden yellow, without any transparency.

Smell: Up front and center was that same band-aid flavor found in Kellerweiss, and it seemed to dominate-YUCK. On the positive side, there was that sweet malt distinctive to hefeweizens, and possibly the faintest bit of banana.

Taste: Pretty much band-aids and bubble gum. It was difficult to finish.

Feel: Well carbonated, as you could imagine, but almost felt creamy.

Overall: After being disappointed by Kellerweiss, I was willing to give Hefeweizens one more shot with what is arguably the benchmark of the style, but sadly ended up getting disappointed once more. I understand that it is intended for the yeasts to give off a flavor similar to this, and that many other people enjoy it, but it is just not for me, and I think it's only fair for my score to reflect my own experience with the beer. I guess I'm one of those people who are too sensitive to the yeasts/phenols for this kind of beer to be enjoyable. For now I will give up on this style, or maybe try a kristalweizen next.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

3.12/5  rDev -29.3%

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

By far the best beer I've ever had. The head is thick and lasts for several minutes. Although it is rather expensive, $17 for a pint on tap or around $13 for a 6-pack, it is well worth the price.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%