Love Belgian Beer?

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by pezoids on 01-22-2001

4.4

Reviews: 2,470 | Ratings: 8,006
3.85/5  rDev -12.5%

If you are in Weihenstephan and want a Weissbeer you have two choices, this one and HUBER (the better one in my opinion). Pronounced fruityness, very lively, pleasanr bitterness. This beer is best when drinking it at the Weihenstephan Braustuuberl beergarden amidst student brewmasters!

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

My fellow BAs, once again you have provided flawless direction into my beer explorations. I tried this one due to the ratings it received amongst the "hefes" and "weiss beers". As you all were correct about Aventinus... you were also with this one. I am not disappointed by your knowledge and recommendations.

The appearance is good and cloudy like a hefe should be. The smell is very aromatic...hints of wheat and I think a bit citrus-like. The taste is very clean, very nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth. I rate this one high on drinkability because--well--put a hose from the tap and let me sip all day.

I'm a big Franzikaner fan and I didn't think I'd ever find a beer to rival it. Well, this one does. My fellow BAs if you ever in your life want to try a good "hefe"... I highly recommend this one. My personal favorite of Franziskaner is also a good choice. I have to rate this one as high as my personal fav, though. This is just one great Hefe, in my humble opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Well now, this is a freakin' Hefeweizen! It looks a cloudy straw colour with a head that won't go away. Just like a Weizen should look. In the taste department, it is a little thinner than the Ayinger offering; however, when drinking from a Mass, that's actually a good thing.

A pleasant, simple Weizen. Really top notch.

3.18/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a light translucent gold with a massive cloud-like white head. Aroma is yeasty, slightly citrus, and a slightly unfamiliar sourness. Took two pours to empty the bottle.

Taste is light and wheaty, barely sweet. Lots of toast and yeast going on in the flavors, the barest hint of lemon (although served sans), some more fruit and banana emerges as it warms. A slight lingering musty element, may be due to a bottle that's a little older than prime. Not quite as complex as I think it should be, lacks a lot of the strong clovey/peppery/banana flavors expected from a hefe.

Mouthfeel is chewy due to the wheat but not really thick. Has some texture to it. I understand the reputation but I've had some better hefes brewed in the US. (This may just be a fact of life, that this beer/style might not travel well in the slightest.)

4.41/5  rDev +0.2%

Weihenstephaner- Hefeweiss

Appearance- murky yellow/ orange with a huge head. Had to stop pouring wait a bit and continue. Laced heavily and the head lasted to the bottom of the glass.
Smell- Banana bread. Cloves and wheat.
Taste- bananas and cloves.
Mouthfeel- velvetly smooth. starts off creamy and finishes off mouth and throat warming smooth.

Overall- Wow! This is one damn fine Hefe. The best I've sampled yet. I'll definitely recommend this to friends.
This would've gotten 5's from me but it might become a little sweet and cloying after a few.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

A nice hazy apricot color with an impressive off-white head that persists well and leaves lots of nice lace.

The aroma is classic hefe weizen, cloves, tangy wheat, yeast, bananas, juicy fruit gum and fresh bread.

The cloves hit with a blast right up front and persist into the aftertaste, but is soon joined by bananas, wheat, light malt, vanilla and bubblegum.

Medium bodied, smooth, easy to drink and refreshing. One of the better "hefes". Definitely worth a try if you like that style. If you haven't tried it this would be a good start.

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Beautiful hazy copper brass body. Tall, creamy, light-sandy white head with yeast debris. Nose is classic, archetypal hefeweizen: yeast, tangy wheat, banana, banana bead, cloves (mucho), and bubblegum. Classic taste too. Very tasty too boot. Crisp, tangy wheat. Bready, banana, clove, yeast, yum. Medium-bodied. Protein-rich feel. Dry finish. Refreshing, classic, delicious.

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours out hazy yellow-orange..with a huge white head. Foams and settles down to about 1/8". Beautiful stuff !
Smells great....bread dough, clove, yeast and big bubblegum scent.
Taste is mild..clove, bubblegum, sweet malt and a hint of citrusy hop. Really well balanced.
Mouthfeel is very good...light to medium..good carbonation, with a semi-soapy finish. Bubblegum after taste.
Pretty drinkable, although, I would probably be looking for something more intense after a few glasses.
I've tried a few Hefe's now...mostly out of curiosity...did not think I would like this lighter style of beer...but they are growing on me.. and I think this is the best one I've had so far.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a beautiful opaque pale orange with a nice head that thins down as expected. Aroma is amazing with banana, clove, vanilla, its all in there. Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body. Great flavor with lots of malt and fruity weizen yeast. This is the best weizen I've had, smooth fruity yeast flavor and wheat malt balance. Very nice and extremely enjoyable.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%

Wow, what a fantastic looking beer. Pours a deep yellowish golden color and is very cloudy like most unfiltered wheat beer. The head on this beer is just absolutely ridiculous. Nice inch of creamy white head that has great retention. Wow.
Green bananas, sweet wheat malts, lots of yeast, slight clove spice dominate the nose but not quite as potent smelling as I expected.
Nice crisp yeasty esters smack the palate and bring a nice spice character up front to follow. Really delicious and a very refreshing beer. Incredibley tastey and smooth. A real treat anytime you crack one open.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Who knew hot dog juice could taste so good? This is the one beer where my wife has to make apologies and not me. I don’t get this beer and she swears by it. Taste funky to me. The ONLY thing that keeps the rating high is that NOTHING tastes like this. She just got a sixer of it so it’s freah and it tastes like it always does. Hot dog watery. I’ll concede it still tastes "good" but then I like hot dogs. Just not something I could drink a lot of.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass
A: Pours a hazy yellow with a fluffy, one inch head.
S: Wheat smells with a pungent odor of yeast.
T: Sweet malty sourdough bread is the first thing that hits the tongue. Lemons blended into the beer become prominent after a second or two. There is a slight bitter taste that finish well with the beer.
M: Good carbonation, goes down extremely smooth.
D: Very drinkable for any beer, though I would expect it out of a 5.4%. This is something that I would love to have sitting around.
Notes: Very good. I would think this a good gateway beer for those of us with friends addicted to Bud. No flavor is too strong but the beer is balanced and finishes clean and smooth.

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just tasted this beer after an Ettaler Helles Weizen. The main difference was the milder taste and smell of the Wiehenstephaner.
Colour was orange and murky, with a very stabile head.
Smell was slightly phenolic and clear wheat smell, fresh
Taste slightly banana, cloves, lots of carbonation, fresh, with a dry aftertaste.
Being a classic amongst the Weizen beers, I found this one to be a bit bland, but nevertheless a good beer.

4.09/5  rDev -7%

A - Hazy amber golden color. Beautiful thick and creamy white head that slowly drops leaving wonderful lacing. There's still a thin layer sitting on top of my beer. Looks delicious.

S - Wheat, bananas, maybe some orange and a little spice. There are other aromas present that I can't pin my finger down on - perhaps it's the yeast. My rookie palate and nose need more exposure to german hefe's.

T - How do I explain the taste? Complex. Sweet, spicy, yeasty, citrusy. I'm not used to all these flavors all at once but it tastes good. I'm used to american variaty but this is a welcome change of pace. I think I detect some clove but I'm not sure.

M - Refreshingly carbonated - feels like a zillion tiny bubbles in my mouth with every sip. Starts smooth, almost creamy I'd say with a crisp/tart finish.

D - This beer was recommended to me by a friend and I think he made a good suggestion! This beer is definitely different from what I am accostomed to drinking but it's very good. I would most definitely buy this again. In 1 word: Refreshing.

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a very hazy pale yellow topped with a two finger frothy head that slowly settles to a nice cap that stays throughout the entire beer and leaves behind lots of lacing.

Smell; really nice yeasty smell with a slightly over ripe bananas. There's a bit of lemony citrus going on as well as some cloves.

Taste; wheat and yeast stand out along with the bananas, there's also some of that citric lemon and cloves. It has a bit of a spicy hoppiness in the finishand just a bit on the dry side. Mouthfeel is is medium bodied, with nice carbonation, and goes down so smooth.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

A= Pours a huge white fluffy foamy sloshy head with little bitters and lots of floral intrigue. Dirty-yellow hue which is perfect for a heffe-weisse. The appearance is moderately cloudy, about average for a weissbier. Nice profusely-rising small carbonation bubbles that just keep coming and coming.

S= The nose is very nice-- almost a rose-bouquet scent to it. The flavor matches. I have to wonder if maybe there's some rose-hips added in the formula.

T= Taste-- even the head is delightful to slurp. The beer is a nice modestly-carbonated mix of floral, fruits, mild honey, clove, all sorts of things going on here to keep one busy. I do get a strong bubblegum-aftertaste. In fact, my first impression was that it tasted like gun-poweder until my tastebuds began to focus.

M= Clean. Occasional bubblegum. Sometimes a slightly saccharine-sweet taste depending on what you've been eating.

Drinkabiliby-- til the cows come home or until you decide to switch to something darker and fuller to finish the evening. This is a noteably fine beer, with an exceptionally up-front surprising taste to it.

4.31/5  rDev -2%

This was my very first wheat beer. Served from 500 mL bottle in pint glass; sadly no weizen glass at home. Poured a hazy gold color with HUGE white head that lasted forever. Left large amount of lacing. Mild, sweet doughy wheat smell.
Prominent wheat taste, very sweet. Noticeable banana and slight taste of bubblegum present. No bitterness to be found. Minimal carbonation that decreased as beer warmed. Very creamy mouthfeel. Easy to drink, refreshing. Took getting used to the different flavor present with the wheat.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Served in a weizen glass)

A- This beer has a slightly hazy straw yellow body with a dense carbonation of tiny bubbles. The head is a snow white creamy foam that last and last. As it rises about the rim it holds its shape.

S- Very nice fruity notes with hints of banana and a nice smooth slightly sweet wheat aroma. There is a faint bread note but no bubblegum or clove aroma.

T- This beer has a nice soft wheat flavor with some bright notes of lemon which is complemented by a subtle banana flavor. The finish has a very faint noble hop, dry finish. There is a very faint carbonic bite but it enhances the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a creamy texture. There is no real fizz taste in the mouthfeel but I'm sure it is in the creamy texture.

D- This beer has good complexity but it is very soft. No bubblegum and the banana is secondary not the main player. It is a well-built beer and I'm sure lots of years went into getting it just right.

This is as fine a hefeweizen as any I have tried. I like the fact that it is cleaner and milder with less banana and cloves than many of the others that I have sampled.

Pours a hazy pale straw with a generous white head that fades and leaves plenty of fluffy lace and fades to a flat pancake of foam that never quite goes away entirely.

Smell is faint yeast and floral hop notes with a doughy cracked wheat scent.

Taste is clean and light with wheat malt evident and less fruit than any hefe's that I have tried. Just clean and light and balanced.

Mouth feel is light with abundant tingly carbonation.

All in all a very drinkable brew.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Giant soapy billowy whiteish head that settles to about 1/8 inch, but never disappears. Cloudy yellow body with carbonation bubbles rising. Cant find any faults in the appearance. Everything looks perfect.

Fruity banana scent with yeast and wheat underneath. Mouth watering.

Extremely refreshing taste. Light bodied and the epitome of well-balanced. Fruity and mild.

Light, easy mouthfeel. The head retention makes for an interesting carbonated experience.

A great-for-anytime beer. Pretty much a flagship beer for how a hefe weizen should be. I bet this is even more amazing in the summer.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into hefe glass.
Nice pour, cloudy deep yellow glow with various bubbles for the head that laced and lingered.
I smelled a bit of lemon, grass, peach, hops and some malt.
the lemon and grass were dominate throughout the taste. Hops, peach, honey and a little malt came later. Good crisp feel to it. I should have drank it colder. Nice beer

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

I have steered clear of this beer for a while since the last time I tried it my face broke out. This time no problems at all. Anyway, now that I can appreciate it for its taste and not for it causing a rash I am delited to say that this is a very tasty beer. Poured out a burned orange/ yellow. it quickly filled half my glass with foam and I only got half the bottle in. After the pilowy foam calmed down the taste of sweet wurt, clove, wheat, and tart hops hit my tounge. The mouthfeel has just the right amount of carbonation and is smooth. A very clean crisp beer. Its very easy to drink when its very cold, the warmer it got the more bitter it became with hops coming through. It's sure nice to know I can still drink this beer with confidence.

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%

16.9 oz. bottle

A: Pours a light golden color with a massive frothy head and a rush of carbonation. This head ain't going away without a fight.

S: Strong aromas of clove, banana, and lemon with some yeast

T: This is very typical of a hefe with flavors of spice, banana, and citrus, but the intensity of the flavors will knock you on your ass. All flavors are very well balanced with each other. Quite impressive.

M: Medium-bodied, and despite the resilent carbonation, this beer is somewhat smooth on the palatte.

D: The best hefe I've had to date. I need more.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

This is one fine hefe. Tastes like Germany. I sure wish I could try this one off the tap, but there's nowhere that has it. Light straw color. Rich, creamy head that lasts throughout the beer. 5.4% abv, brewed under the purity law of 1516. I paid 2.99 at hollingshead. Definitely worth purchasing again, one of the best hefes i've had from the bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -8%

A lucky stop at the airport in Munchen flying from BCN to WIE finally allowed me the chance to taste "the Weizen of Weizens".

I won´t really elaborate much on describing what it is like.

It was pleasant and tasteful, however not my favourite weizen. the flavour was a bit too mild for my taste (lurking ever more into the belgian strengths). but that made it also very desirable to consume. it also allows for a bit more elaborate tasting, and the complexity that is more subtle is still abundant.

very nice beer all-in-all, although not the mother of all weizens for me.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan