Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

4.4
10%

Ratings: 8,283 |  Reviews: 2,522

3.85/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: pours a murky yellow gold with hints of orange. Bubbling from the bottom is beautiful. Strong, white head, with minimal lacing.

Smell: Wheat, yeast, sourdough bread, caramel, champagne. Hits powerfully, though not hard, but very deep. Considering the "weakness" of the flavors, that's quite good.

Taste: Wheat, malt, maybe a touch of banana. Well done, but there's not too much here, and it's not too interesting.

Mouthfeel: Really smooth, with just a tough of bite from the carbonation.

Overall: A disappointment. A very pretty beer. Smells great. Feels great. Tastes good, but less than I expected. Still, if I wanted good hefeweizen, I'll acknowledge that I've had none better. I think hefeweizen is just not my thing.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

4.75/5  rDev +8%

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a weizen glass. Pours a beautiful hazy golden color with a huge, rocky, dense head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves decent lacing. Fresh aroma of cloves and banana bread with some clean zest in the background. Very strong clove presence on the tongue, finish brings out that medium body. Just perfect creamy mouthfeel, and goes down so smooth.

Overall: Not much needs to be said, this is a great beer. My favorite hefe to date, and I've had a few.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers crafted...ever. So smooth, so tasty, ripe bananas, bread/yeast, spices. Delicious. I would rank this my second favorite Hefe beer next to the Ayinger Bräu Weisse. I reviewed that beer already and I think I gave this Weihenstephaner beer a better review, haha, oh well. I just LOVE the really forward banana flavor of the Ayinger and the champagne mouthfeel. Its just a matter of preference. If you handed me either one of these beers I'd give you my first born child. The Weihenstephaner is a better deal though. I can get it for less than $2 a bottle (11.2oz) while the Ayinger is about $3.50 (16oz) a bottle (it has about 5oz more of yummy juice though).

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a weizen glass

Beer pours a cloudy golden wheat with plenty of swirling yeast, producing a near perfect 3 finger head. From the bottom of the glass an eternal stream of effervescence sustains the head and keeps it perky. Wonderful web-like lacing on the sides of the glass... this beer is beautiful to behold and is almost to pretty to drink

The smell is banana bread, cloves, wheat yeast and spice, exactly what I was hoping for. Aroma is a bit more subtle than I would have liked, however.

Taste is BIG phenolic banana and cloves, wonderfully wheaty and bready. This is a truly delicious beer, and one that I could drink everyday.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy without being too thick. Very quaffable, not that you'd want this beer to disappear too quickly.

Overall, a top-shelf hefeweizen that everyone should try. Sessionable, affordable, and delicious, it is an excellent representation of the style.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan