Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

4.4
10%

Ratings: 8,356 |  Reviews: 2,536

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured murky golden. Lots of head.

Sweet honey wheaty smell.

Great Weizen taste.

So insanely drinkable, perfect carbonation. World’s Oldest Brewery obviously knows what they are doing.

Edit: Revisited as part of a blind test against Ayinger. Pour was murky yellow, hazy. Very sweet gum and banana smell. The head was taller and fluffier than Ayinger. Sweet, good carbonation, smooth, clean, and crisp. Overall, still a delicious and prime example of a German Hefe.

4.74/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - The beer arrived in a pilsner glass with two inches of creamy foam atop a gorgeous hazy blonde pillar of goodness. Retention lasted all the way to the bottom and the lacing was excellent.

S - What the? I'm a newbie here, so I did not expect the Belgian smell from a German Hefe. Smells fantastic!

T - I'm floored. The full flavor is there, but it doesn't hit like a truck, it's more subtle and long-lasting. I don't yet have the vocabulary for a proper review.

M - Bubbly pillows. This beer is medium-bodied, but with the strong carbonation it still feels lively in my mouth.

O - This is way more than I expected when I ordered it. The only reason I didn't put up 5's is my lack of experience. This beer is going to be like Heady Topper was for IPA's - it's going to set me out on the hunt for beers like this one. I wonder if I'll find one.

4.99/5  rDev +13.4%

Best Heff beer I've ever had. Says world's oldest brewery on the bottle and guess what... all that time Brewing has done them some good. Perfectly balanced. Nice nose and mouthfeel. Very smooth. I like banana and this is prevalent in this beer. Although banana is typically in heff beers. I bought my bottle for a little under $3 and it's the best $3 I've ever spent. I've seen other on tap but have not tried and want to. Do not pass this beer up. It's the perfect sunny day brew.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful, pale gold, translucent, with a huge head as white as snow. Head retention was solid.

S - Strong banana notes waft out, mixed with milder lemon scents. A beautifully mellow and sweet aroma. Slight floral notes.

T - A fantastic blend for a Weissbier. First, those banana notes are strongly present on the tongue. Just enough hops and citrus balance it out to keep it from being overly malted. Some yeast and wheat flavor provide a backbone. Fruity and slightly bitter without sourness.

M - Extremely smooth, very easy going.

O - This could easily be a daily Weissbier, if it were more accessible. I really don't have any complaints or suggested improvements; it's just a well-rounded, balanced, sweet beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan