Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

#224

Ratings: 8,582 |  Reviews: 2,575
4.76/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Serving Type: Bottle to Weizen glass.

Appearance (5.0): Unfiltered and to me, exactly like what a hefeweizen should look like.

Smell (4.5): Fresh and clean, with the banana like hint. Perhaps maybe it could be a little more pronounced.

Taste (4.75): Again, fresh clean. To me, this is what a hefeweizen should be.

Mouthfeel (4.75): Nice and smooth.

Overall (5.00): Though I've had many hefeweizen, this is actually my first and highly anticipated time having the celebrated Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. It did not fail. There were no defects in the beer, it tasted great.

If you even remotely enjoy hefeweizens, you should try this out. If you're not a fan, but haven't tried Weihenstephaner, then give it a try!

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Ah yes, the standard Hefeweizen to which all other hefe's are compared. The question becomes, should I review this to style? Or should I review this to my opinion? How do I question the paradigm hefe when it is so established? Well, I'll rate this to style, and of course it will be a perfect score. However, my review will reflect the fact that wheat beers do not appeal to me. Let us begin.

Poured from the bottle into a Weihenstephan hefe glass, complete with the twirl and twist at the end of the pour. Hazy golden hay colored, or perhaps even banana colored when held to the light. Beautiful foamy white head that piles up over the top of the glass. The aromas are of that characteristic wheaty twang, bananas (but much less than what some of my friends describe as "holy cow this smells like banana!"), bit of clove and spice, and a yeasty goodness that wraps up the aromas nicely. The flavors are very much like that of the aromas. A very slight hint of earth in the finish. Well carbonated and light bodied. Makes for a good summer beer.

Now, I must admit that I do not like wheat beers. The wheat twang kills it for me. If I were to rate this to my opinion, it would be 5/3/3/3/3, where my 5 would be given to the presentation of the beer. Take that as you will, I suppose.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan