Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by stirgy on 01-22-2001

#215

Ratings: 8,403 |  Reviews: 2,542

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Lucky enough to have this one on tap at the Weihenstephan beer garden.

A - Cloudy golden color with a thick white head. The head retention is very good with nice lacing.

S - Nice balance between banana and clove esters. I feel that the Weinstephaner displays the clove notes more so than most others that i have tried.

T - Nice balance of notes from the yeast. Banana, clove, mixed with wheat. Very light hopping in balance with the malt.

M - Nice mouthfeel with high carbonation that sizzles on the tongue.

D - This is probably my favorite hefeweizen. A great beer overall especially if you be lucky enough to taste it fresh.

3.53/5  rDev -20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally I found this. I had heard so much about it here and elsewhere as the undisputed champ of hefes. So there it was at the bar out of nowhere and I pounced on it. Hmm. Well, it was fine, but... I don't get all the crazy praise for it. It was good but didn't do much more for me than other hefes, which I'm starting to have my doubts about. I'm wondering if the style is a narrow one, in which the differences between different offerings are small. If you served this to me I'd be happy enough, but rather than buy it again I'd rather explore other untried options. I will say it had a very pretty snowy white head. Seems like a good example of the style but I was let down that it wasn't crazy turbo good like the hype suggested. Or maybe I'm just not a hefe guy.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

The appearance of this beer is a light, golden color with a little bit of cloudiness. The head poured thick (1 inch) and slowly turned thinner with moderate lacing.

The smell is really nice! Aromatic and powerful, it has a real nutty, wheaty smell followed by cloves.

The taste is like nothing else, literally! Lots of wheat and nut flavor, very natural! No bitterness and a hint of the sweet malt right before the carbonation takes over and bubbles on the tongue. The clove flavor is very present but balanced with the other flavors. Totally took me by surprise, great tasting beer!

The mouthfeel is crisp in the front and carbonated at the end, but a great carbonated. Not like the negative soda-like carbonation, but it is strong.

I am not a beer master, but I have had my fair share (much more than I have had a chance to review for this site) and the flavor of this beer is phenomenal. I bought it from Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware (funny website, ridiculous store) not knowing what a reputation it had! Very surprised when I first tasted it then I came here to review and saw the scores it had received...what a great beer! A must try, no matter what your likes or experiences in the world of beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan