Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by pezoids on 01-22-2001

4.4

Reviews: 2,484 | Ratings: 8,062
4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with a huge bubbly white head that transforms into meringue on top. A steady stream of carbonation bubbly rise from the bottom causing a seemingly endless head. Smells of banana, bubble gum and a hint of pepper, nutmeg and allspice. A lightly sugary sweet malt provides a backdrop for the showcase of yeasty aromas. the flavor is lightly sweet malt with a bready yeasty taste. Medium to thin body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet spicy mouthfeel. This is a really nice beer! I guess if you've been doing this that long you are bound to get it right.

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Tasted on 20th Nov 2005, a 500ml bottle best by 09.MAI.06. Poured a cloudy honey coloured brew with a nice white head. Smelled very good, the major component being banana but not overpowering, some spice and floral notes.
Tasted much like the fine smell with a very smooth mouthfeel.
Overall this is a very well crafted beer, maybe just a touch too sweet for my taste but hard to find fault with really.

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Pint bottle, tall and thin.

Appearance: Golden, hazy hue, with straw shimmers. Hazy and cloudy with a big white head. Big bubbles in the head. very little lacing.

Smell: Great nose on this. big banana and clove upfront, with some spiciness hidden. Obvious wheat aroma as well. Some vanilla and perhaps citrus as well. I really enjoyed the aroma of this beer.

Taste: Delicious, but not as impressive as the nose. Tangy, with yeasty wheat flavor. Malty banana on the tongue and ground clove. It's like the aroma travels right to your taste buds. Crisp finish, leaves the taste of wheat malt in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation, just enough to prick the tongue, in a good way. Very smooth, this beer went down fast!

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Low alcohol and its refreshing flavor make it the perfect summertime brew.

16.9 oz bottle from Cooke's Market

Served in a pint glass with a nice foamy head

This one was a little overrated in my book

It is just a typical German Hefeweizen in my book

It has a subtle, light taste and tastes great with an orange or lemon

Would drink again, but not one of my favorites

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured a 2" head which slowly diminisehd to 1/2" and held. Hazy tan in color. Substantial in mouthfeel. Aromas and flavors were citrus, spices, banana, and left a considerable finish.

Many consider this to be a prime example of the hefeweissbier style and I'd agree, though I still don't see it as an A+.

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a hazy straw yellow with orange accents around the compression in a pilsner glass. 2 finger foam white head that dissapate in 3-5 mins. Small white bubble top ring left behind.

Smells of peppery clove and sweet bready yeast. Citrus friut. Its too complex for me to descibe honestly.

Nice sour complexity in the flavor. It tastes like a farmhouse brew. Sweet notes with a sour kick. Bread/yeast, orange/lemon zest, and spice.

Smooth mouth coating effect that leaves long before the NICE sour aftertaste.

Two bottles, one before dinner, and one while eating dinner was great. But in the right mood with the temperture soaring this baby is a drinker.

4.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a hazy golden color. Has an aroma of Belgian yeast and something that reminds me of coriander. Flavor is a little Belgian yeast / over ripe banana. Leaves a clean smooth aftertaste. Overall very solid.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tall Weizen glass

A: Poured an amber/yellow color with a very large head that last a few minutes before it dissipated. A small head remained for the duration of the beer. There was some lacing, but it did not stay on the side of the glass.

S: The aroma is yeasty and has a wheat component. I get some sort of fruit, but can't really place it. There is also some spice mixed in. Unfortunately, there was also a slight metallic smell as well.

T: I found the taste to be relatively mild, with tastes of malt and barley and some lemon. The spice from the nose also comes through a little bit.

D/M: This is where this beer shined for me, it was so easy to drink! I had no problem putting down this 16.9 oz beer. Its a great beer for spring/summer days and was a perfect beer for grilling.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is a wheat beer with a very... wheaty... flavour.

A: Cloudy orange colour and a 5 cm head that last. 5

S: Pleasant wheatbeer smell. 4

T: Strong wheat flavour. There is some spiciness there too, maybe cloves. Perhaps a hint of lemon, too. It's nice, but I don't love it. 4

M: Foamy. 4.5

O: Nice wheat beer. 3.5

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer is really good for its style, but I'm learning that hefeweizen is not really my favorite. So, I've rated this as high as I can for any hefeweizen. It pours a nice opaque blonde with a really nice substantial white head, it sticks to the glass. The smell was a little subdued imo. I did pick up some floral notes with a bit of banana as others have mentioned. The taste is a bit of clover spice, that turns into a bubblegum banana like flavor. The final after taste is a bit of yeast and sweet bread. Not really much in the way of hoppy bitterness. It seemed to me that there was quite a bit of carbonation in my mouth, a bit more than I prefer. But again, this is definitely the best hefeweizen that I've had. If you like wheat beers then this is an absolute must.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From bottle into pint glass.

Cloudy pale yellow with thick white head. The yeast settled in hard pieces, which leads me to believe it has been sitting like this for quite some time.

Definitely could smell the spicy clove yeast.

Spicy clove and banana. I hate to be so cliche hefeweizen, but it was true. This beer was a bit to spicy for my taste, but it seems pretty true to form.

Bright, edgy mouthfeel. The carbonation was a bit overbearing.

The edginess of the mouthfeel and spice was the only thing that was difficult for drinkability, but overall, good.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: unfiltered and cloudy, orange-brown hues with a pillowy off-white head.

Smell: sweet aroma of banana and bubblegum with clove spice.

Taste: mild semi-sweet banana, slight hop bitterness, not as sweet
as the smell would indicate.

Mouthfeel: small bubble carbonation, light and well-balanced.

Drinkability: nice refreshing easy to drink beer. Mild alcohol along with fine carbonation allows for several servings of this beer.

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%

After a week or so of devouring stouts and porters, I tried this one at the behest of my girlfriend. As is almost always the case, she was right. This is a good beer. It pours and looks like a typical American lager in some ways, but that is where that comparison ends for me. Right away I was struck but a banana smell and taste. I didn't expect that, for I had never had a banana tasting beer before. I quite liked it. Overall, this is an easy-to-drink refreshing lighter beer that is very satisfying in its splendid and unique taste. Me gusta.

On tap at De Paas in The Hague. Bright orange pour with a tall white head with good retention. Smells like yeast, warm bread, bananas and spices. The taste is crisp and refreshing, with the same notes.

For me, on this night, the beer tasted somewhat metallic.
I am new to this but wonder if I just got a bad one. Loved the kristallweiss that I had a couple of days ago but was not as impressed by this one. Will have to try it again. Wish I could find some sort of date on the bottle.

Hefeweizens are not my favorite style but I know a good one when I drink one.

Mysterious cloudy, almost murky appearance with a thin white covering head.

Aromas of cloves, bananas and a slight citrus hop.

Tastes of wheat, banana, subtle hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel has a wheat grainyness to it. Crisp, refreshing

Very drinkable. If Hefe's are your thing, call this one el jefe.

Poured into a Firestone pint glass.

A. Pours a very hazy golden color. It is quite cloudy, as it should be. A very bright white head. Fades fairly quickly.

S. It smelled of cloves and other spices. A strong banana bread aroma, which I always seem to smell in hefs.

T. Possibly because of the smell, I taste banana. I also taste yeast and wheat. Very pleasant taste.

M. It leaves a light aftertaste. It has good carbonation as well. Very creamy and refreshing.

D. Very good on a Summer day. Good representation of the style. I will most definately pick up some more when in the mood for wheat beer.

Pours a hazy bright apple juice color with a white head that dissipated with evident carb action.

Has a sweet grainy wheat malt smell with a pine and lemon/lime hops aroma.

Moderately sweet and acidic grainy malt taste with hints of straw/hay also has a lemon/orange and some resin in the hops flavor.

Light bodied, dry and even maybe slightly bland texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a smooth almost lightly metallic and astringent finish.

Very easy to drink I'm finishing the bottle as I write this, no lemon needed, and the acidic balance may be slightly off.

This is more of what I'm used to in regard to a Hefeweizen (as opposed to Schlafly's Hefeweizen). I think I'm still a little more partial to the "American Wheat" style that most people seem to consider Schlafly's Hefeweizen to be, but this is still probably one of the best of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Snagged my first bottle of this stuff today.. so here it goes...

- Huge fluffy big bubbled head.. white.. bright white head. Nice light straw yellow cloudy color.. very solid.

- Smells like a common Saison or Farmhouse ale.... but rich in wheat and/or grain... little bit of banana, clove spice, bread, and yeast...

- Smooth and creamy brew.. bread, grain.. biscuit, and some zest that is a bit tart on the back of the tongue. Certainly different... little bit of banana... some woodiness to it as well..

- Great feel.... not dry or chewy at all.... just pure.

- Bit carbonated, but smooth sailing all the way... I am enjoying it right out of the fridge nice and cold.

Pours a decently cloudy golden/orange color with a thick white head that disipates too quickly for a hefe. Not as many fruity tones in the aroma as others in the style but that isn't neccessarily a bad thing. Some lighter banana and cloves with huge vanilla aromas. Again in the flavor there isn't as much banana as in others. Very light cloves and tons of vanilla again. Nice heavy yeaty mouthfeel but it is almost a little too thick. The slightly cloying qualities that the strong vanilla flavors impart make this a bit less drinkable than its brethren. Yet another good german hefe, this isn't one that I would seek out as I liked some of the others better but it is still a great brew.

I'm torn on this beer, and perhaps I should review it again when I've had more experience with true Hefs...

On the one hand, it has remarkable complexity, particularly as it warmed. On the other... I was overwhelmed (particularly in during the first 1/3) by the banana notes. And not in a good way.

I was not terribly impressed at first, or perhaps more accurately, I didn't particularly like it, but was impressed by its craft. The more I drank, the more I reconsidered, and towards the end I found the beer exceedingly quaffable.

I love saisons and I enjoy wheat beers in general, but the banana/clove thing turned me off a little, and then intrigued me towards the end. There's no way a beer of this depth of character, beauty, and aroma (and definitely in no way a spoiled bottle) could be rated less than "good" in any of these areas, but there's no way I can in a clear conscious pretend this approached the sublime to my palate.

But I will say, it has inspired me to approach the rest of the German Hefeweizen world with great interest, and I shall certainly be revisiting this beer this summer.

Bottle code 8125 so bottled March 8, 2015.

Very cloudy beer, classic German yeast with light banana notes. Went perfectly with my fire roasted sausages.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier @ 5.4% , a Hefeweizen served from a 500 ml bottle purchased for $5.30

A-pour is a hazy gold in color with a big off white head that is leaving a streaky lace film along the weizen glass

S-banana , alot of floral/citrus also

T-sweet tasting , bit mild on the palate

MF-ok/good carbonation , medium body ,

Ov-very easy drinking beer , another classic

sampled alongside 2 other Weihenstephan beers (Vitus & Hefeweissbier Dunkel)

prost LampertLand

Poured into a goblet and a thick, fluffy head formed. Color is a hazy burnt orange. The nose has a ton of malt with a yeasty/lemon zest. The taste is packed with zesty hop and yeast flavors(earthy lemon). I'm impressed by the dry, bready middle. The finish is a crisp malty/lemon with a dry carbonation.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan