Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

YOUR RATING = None |
Weihenstephaner HefeweissbierWeihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Our golden-yellow wheat beer, with its fine-poured white foam, smells of cloves and impresses consumers with its refreshing banana flavour. It is full bodied and with a smooth yeast taste. To be enjoyed at any time,goes excellently with fish and seafood, with spicy cheese and especially with the traditional Bavarian veal sausage. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by pezoids on 01-22-2001

4.4

Reviews: 2,469 | Ratings: 8,002

I don't have to say much. Strait up best hefe out there. It looks great, smells balanced of clove and banana, tastes a-mazing, feels amazing, and you could drink a lot of em. I just had a Paulaner and Ayinger in the spirit of spring, and although I haven't had this in awhile, I know, it's just better than those beers. And those breweries aren't too shabby either! Weihenstephan FTW.

Perfect 10/10. This is not "an" example of Hefe Weißbier, it is THE example. Complex, infinitely refreshing, historically accurate and simply marvelous in every way. An absolute must have for any beer enthusiast, esepecially Bavarian varietals.

Drinking one of these after a long rewarding day at work. Mmmm!

Glass: Samuel Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A beautiful hazy yellow amber color. I stirred up the yeast at the bottom before my final pour. Watching the yeast drop down through the beer and slowly mix is one of the best parts of a hefeweizen! If poured aggressively, a huge head appears and sticks around for quite a while. I prefer to give it a gentle pour to keep the head in check (it's still substantial, even with a gentle pour) and keep a bit more of that refreshing carbonation around.

Smell: Bubblegum, RIPE bananas are the major smells here. A bit of breadiness and honey, perhaps. Delicious.

Taste: Just like a good hefeweizen should. This is my favorite hefeweizen that I have tried so far. The initial taste is like that of bubblegum. A bit of banana, but not as much as the smell would suggest. There is a tiny bit of breadiness in there. None of the "Wit" type flavors that found in some hefeweizens, particularly American ones. Very little alcohol noticed, which is to be expected.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation. Really refreshing.

Overall: My first perfect 5 beer, and one that will always remain a favorite of mine. Nothing quite beats it as an easy drinking all around tasty beer.

A fantastic beer! And the best thing is... it's easy to find in the US! Very well balanced, complex and delicious. It's perfection in a bottle! Ones of the beers to try before you die!

Enjoying now, as I have many times in the past, poured from a bottle into a weizen glass on 7/27/11.

This is the gold standard hefeweizen; the one to which I measure all other hefes (which is, most likely, why I have yet to find another hefe I'm willing to give an A grade to).

A- Wonderful cloudy golden/orange color with rich, white head. The head is aggressive, and unless you pour into your glass in the most delicate possible way, it is going to require settling before you're able to complete the pour (which is totally fine by me--this isn't a beer for slamming/chugging).

S- Wheat, clove/spice, and light banana.

T- Wheat, clove, banana, a bit of butter toffee and bubblegum (but not too much, unlike many other hefes). The flavor is complex with many notes that aren't immediately apparent. I enjoy drinking this slowly because the flavor profile shifts as the beer warms a bit, revealing many of those buried flavors. Yum!

M- Mellow carbonation and a smooth texture. The beer is a pleasure to drink.

O- As the review indicates, this is a beer I have an incredibly high opinion of. I'd go as far as saying that it is my favorite beer of all time. Anyone who is a flavor of the style should give it a shot (especially if you're lucky enough to beer somewhere that has it on tap).

I have to say I thought Samuel Adams was my favorite beers but this one knocks all out of the water. It is such a treat to have.

A-It's got a nice golden look to it.
S-It's got a nice banana smell to it with a little bit of apple.
T- It taste like banana too with a hint of Olive and Bubble gum w/ the hops. (As weird as that may sound it's quite good) it's a little sweet but not too sweet and you still taste beer. It smacks the mouth with flavor.
M-no aftertaste at all and it goes down smooth.
D- It's worth it! It's a treat to have. If any of you find this at a store you must buy it! It is an amazing beer.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier is possibly the best Beer I have ever tasted and I will get another one from the store. It is as I said a treat. I am on a diet sadly and I rarely have a beer to help me drop pounds but, I love a good brew when I can and this is a beer I will love to treat myself to.

This is BY FAR the best hefeweizen I've ever tasted and enjoyed as much as I did. Simply amazing.

A: Nice yellow, common to the hefe's

S: Smells like a fresh field of flowers or corn

T: Just like the smell, sooo goood

M: Nice and light, great carbonation

D: I could drink these all day, especially with the price

Appearance: Golden color, but cloudy, cloudy, and cloudy. A thick white bread like head pours out with good retention and minimal glass sticking. There is tons of carbonation, but it is difficult to see for the opaque characteristic of this one.

Smell: grassy/grainy. Smells like fresh wheat bread and some acidity similar to grapes.

Taste: Spicy and fruity. The malts break through the many flavors and are delicious. The beer is a little sour to the tongue and the spice remains as an after flavor. Other flavors I can taste remind me of cedar, vanilla, and apples. Really comes together well to make a nice fruity and complex taste.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Carbonation plays with the tongue along with a dry/spicy after feel.

Drinkability: This is one of my favorite drinking beers. It is well balanced, delicious, and I can drink this as well as any beer. In fact it is so good that I wish I had another bottle as the glass is empty.

Notes: This is the classic Hefe Weizen in my opinion. It is what the style attempts to emulate. I have never had a better hefeweisbier, and doubt I ever will.

Truly one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. This beer is a cloudy yellow-orange that looks awesome in the right light. An inviting blend of banana, clove, and bread on the nose. The taste is where this beer really shines. There's a lot going on with Weihenstephaner, and in my opinion, it actually tastes better if you drink it just barely cool or closer to room temperature than really cold. I pick up on banana, clove, vanilla, bread, and slight bubblegum emphasized by the carbonation. The mouthfeel is great as well. Pretty creamy and smooth.

Franziskaner and Ayinger are almost as good. Maybe not quite as special. Either way, those would be my top 3. Had to escalate this one from a 4.7 to a 5 even though I'm reluctant to give 5s because it might be the tastiest thing I've ever drank (not just the tastiest beer). Get this.

What can I say that others haven't? This is Weihenstephaner. If you haven't tried it and are a lover of Weissbier, this is a must.

The appearance is beautiful, great head retention, good carbonation, and a beautiful, pale orange color to the body.

The smell is like sweet bread, overall not overpowering: just like a Weissbier ought to be.

The taste is very similar to the smell, but with light banana and vanilla flavors as well.

The mouthfeel is extremely smooth leaving you wanting more.

There are many Weissbiers in the World today and it still very clear to me why the State of Bavaria chose this Brewery to be their official representation of the style. Absolutely wonderful.

Prost!

Ah yes, the standard Hefeweizen to which all other hefe's are compared. The question becomes, should I review this to style? Or should I review this to my opinion? How do I question the paradigm hefe when it is so established? Well, I'll rate this to style, and of course it will be a perfect score. However, my review will reflect the fact that wheat beers do not appeal to me. Let us begin.

Poured from the bottle into a Weihenstephan hefe glass, complete with the twirl and twist at the end of the pour. Hazy golden hay colored, or perhaps even banana colored when held to the light. Beautiful foamy white head that piles up over the top of the glass. The aromas are of that characteristic wheaty twang, bananas (but much less than what some of my friends describe as "holy cow this smells like banana!"), bit of clove and spice, and a yeasty goodness that wraps up the aromas nicely. The flavors are very much like that of the aromas. A very slight hint of earth in the finish. Well carbonated and light bodied. Makes for a good summer beer.

Now, I must admit that I do not like wheat beers. The wheat twang kills it for me. If I were to rate this to my opinion, it would be 5/3/3/3/3, where my 5 would be given to the presentation of the beer. Take that as you will, I suppose.

I live in England, UK. I will never forget the first time I drank this beer.

It was a guest draught at 'The Firefly' on Lowesmoor in Worcester.

The barman recommended it.

Came in a tall Weihenstephaner glass taken from the freezer.

Word's cannot really describe and sum up what I want to say about this world class beer.

It wasn't on tap very long and I tried to source the bottled (if any) variety. Some Sainsbury's in the UK stock it (Redditch one of them) and Ocado will deliver but it's quite a rarity on sale here.

I have tried many wheat beers over the years but this is heaven in a bottle.

A masterclass from Weihenstephaner.

Pours a hazy rustic orange with a towering white head. It laces all over the glass and takes quite a while to die down.

Smell is cloves, honey, corriander(I think), banana, pear skin, and apple skin.

Taste is dry and smooth with a touch of sweetness. Nicely attenuated.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Refreshing yet full bodied.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is THE Hefeweizen!

Oh delicious goodness! My bowl of wheaties on the morning off. I drank this wonderful weisse for the first time in Deutchland, but now am giving it the proper review. Poured from a .5l bottle, huge frothy head, great hazy body bubbling in the sunlight. Great aromas of bananas, citrus, yeast, wheats, cloves. Giant taste matches the aromas, great creaminess on the mouthfeel, drinability is an absolute pleasure. The worlds oldest brewery has set the absolute standard in my book. I know "5's" are rare, but as hefe's go, this is it..
Just came back to my old review after so long, but really an exceptionally made Weizen. The flavor, smells, all have been described in detail by other BA's, but what really struck me now is the absloute plush mouthfeel.It really is the epitomy of a Weizen. Cheers

Dang, I think this is he best hefeweizen I have ever drank. It is deliecious and just the smell reminds of brats, kraut, and Germany. As far I can tell, this is as good as i gets.

Appearance: Translucent, hazy orange
Smell: Banana, orange, and green apple
Taste: Orange notes
Mouthfeel: Light and carbonated
Drinkability: A smooth, thirst quenching beer that brings back great memories of the drinking Hefeweizen in Germany or during the Wurstfest in New Braunfels, Texas.

The Bavarian State Brewery Weihenstephan has been brewing beer since 725 A.D. and after 1289 years probably has perfected one of the finest wheat beers in the world.

A golden-yellow wheat beer that pours of a fine white foamy head and emitting a light aroma of clove. When you slather this brew over your caliculus gustatorius (taste buds) this full bodied beer empresses a light banana flavor with a smooth yeast taste. One of my favorite wheat beers and the price is right. Cheaper than most American brewed main-stream beers.
Cheers.

12 oz bottle, recommended from the Spec's in Bee Cave, thanks!

Cloudy dark yellow, shading into orange, amazing head on this beer.

Malt, lemon, and a hint of clove on the nose. I really like aroma of this beer.

Lemon, clove, spices in the mouth. It tastes as good as it smells.

I'm a little spoiled, since I live in Austin, and we can get Live Oak Hefeweizen on tap in a lot of places here. So, I was a little hesitant to buy this one, but I wanted a hefe, and the guy at Specs said this is the best they have. I still like Live Oak better, but just by a hair. I have seen a number of reviews that rated this beer down a bit, and I would say that something you might do is let it warm up a bit. I started this one at fridge temp, and wasn't really that impressed at first. However, I was called away for a bit, and when I came back the beer had warmed up to probably upper forties, or even higher in temp, and it was AMAZING. It really opened up and a lot of flavor came out.

THE hefeweizen, but it's so rare to get fresh. Pours a majestic light cloudy yellow with orange hints into my Weihenstephaner weizen glass. Has a huge four-finger head which the beer constantly replenishes thanks to the yeast and thousands of tiny bubbles in the body of the beer. Heavy clove and vine-ripened banana in the aroma, very dry, earthy and tropical with a little citrus zest thrown in. Taste is cool crisp and refreshing banana bread in the taste, very light and citrusy. Easily refreshing and smooth this brew is.

Easily one of the greatest brews in the world, blows the other hefes out of the water. It's great on tap as well.

Cloudy, golden color. Lots of fine carbonation rising. Thick frothy head.

Tons of banana in the nose. Sweet bread, cloves, vanilla, touch of lemon.

Sweet bread up front. I get lots of banana, cloves, vanilla, bubblegum, slight lemony. Very complex in flavor. Refreshing, very soft body and finish.

Truly the best Hefeweizen.

Probably my favorite beer or at least in the top 3. This is exactly what I want in a hefe. Its refreshing, crisp, and quenches your thirst.
The brewery is the oldest in the world- for good reason. This beer is the definition of a hefe.

Appearance: Very hazy straw color with a huge fluffy head that did not want to go down!

Smell: Very strong yeast smell. Some wheat aroma, but mostly yeast - spicy, citric, nutty.

Taste: Yeast are up front, providing that hard to pin down flavor - banana, citrus, spice, clove, soybean, peanut. Dry wheat malt flavor follows it up. The flavors are strong, but smooth and balanced.

Mouthfeel: The thickness and fine carbonation give this one a very creamy feel. No residual feel.

Overall: I can see why this brewery has been around for so long. All the components of this beer are bold, but well blended. I usually get bored of Hefe’s before finishing 12 onces; this one left me wanting another 16.

Appearance:
The beer pours a hazy golden straw color with an ample sticky white head. The retention is superb as is the lacing.

Smell:
There's a rich aroma of banana and cloves from the yeast and just the right touch of tartness from the wheat.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The beer drinks smooth and full and is completely rife with an amalgamation of flavors that is best described as banana nut bread. Up front you get the sweet ripe banana notes which then meld in to more of a yeasty bread character and is then finally smoothed out in to a crisp cashew finish. Absolutely delicious.

Drinkability:
It's too tasty to be anything but highly drinkable. It's really one of the most perfect drinking beers in existence in my opinion.

Bottom Line:
I guess you learn a few tricks when you've been brewing the same beer for 500 years because this beer really is perfection when you get a nice fresh bottle of it like the one I reviewed today.

Sweet, mellow, smooth, spicy, buttery goodness! Every time I drink this on tap, it is billowy and beautiful. Hazy Goldenrod right up to the 0.5 mark on W's beautiful swirly glass with the billowy, creamy foam that flows over the top. What a magnificent wonder!

All the sexy, gooey spicey aromas (cloves, orange, popcorn, etc...) flow right up through my nostrils and grind up against against my olfactory business and makes me nose-cum. Okay, it's really not THAT amazing, but it is still pretty awesome.

This is probably one of the best beers you can get for the price. No American wheat beers even come close to The W. It is so smooth. It goes down the hatch easier than the finest cut of fatty salmon. It melts across your tongue like a fine, seared foix gras. It tickles your mouth-senses as much as the most aromatic spicy curry. It also gives you the ability to urinate in public in the presence of police without getting caught...err...wait, no, I got caught. Anyhow, I showed up to court and the cop didn't. Case dismissed.

If you know of a better hefe, please let me know, because you're wrong. I will gladly knock down your door and beat some sense into you.

Cheers!

12 oz bottle poured into a stolen...err... liberated weizen glass.

A: pours a beautiful hazy wheaty yellow with a huge 3 finger head that fills up over the top of the glass. The head sticks around for the entire beer.

S: smells of banana and wheat with a little bit of yeast.

T: very wheaty taste (duh). Also a bit of banana and a hint of citrus-y flavor. None of the tastes are too overpowering. everything works well.

M: Extremely smooth, just the right amount of carbonation and not to think.

D: extremely drinkable, easily my new favorite beer. Not hard to pop open another, maybe a few.

Very smooth malt background,
rich yeast flavors, sofy spicy, with fruity banana tones,
reminiscent of clove, very balanced wheat beer.
Washes down easy and lasting tasting notes.
Nice carbonation and good colour and a medium bodied beer.

Tasted from a bottle and tap, both are just as good. personally prefer the bottle cos you can control the pour / head and more importantly the goodness that's left at the bottom.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan