Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Kristalweizen

In our golden-yellow crystal-clear wheat beer the fresh citrus flavour harmonises very well with spicy banana notes. The fine sparkling gives it a tangy and animated appearance. Throughout summer and winter, it’s a prickling experience. It goes well with fish, seafood, white meat or it can be enjoyed as an aperitif. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 1,853 |  Reviews: 820
2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weihenstephaner- Kristallweissbier

Appearance- light yellow almost clear with billions of bubbles and a huge thick frothy head.
Smell- light and sweet hefe(Banana and clove).
Taste- watery banana and clove with a dash of peppermint gum?! Actually tastes like candy cigerettes.
Mouthfeel- candy sweet. Light. Mix a hefe with some champagne.

Overall- maybe a beer to use for a celebration toast but other than that there's no reason to really drink the light sugar water. Wasn't bad but not 1 I'll revisit.

2.55/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Format: standard 500mL brown bottle, traditional German label.

Appearance: looks too light for a wheat beer, and unusual since it is crystal clear. The usual inch of white head has been replaced with a fizing half inch that fluffs away to virtually nothing. So far I'm not impressed.

Aroma: a good aroma of light wheats, some spices and a touch of some form of cereals. Not nearly as good as their unfiltered wheat beers, but pleasant enough.

Taste: the traditional German weissbier flavours are there, but are very weak and muted. A touch of wheat, banana and spice. I'm not a fan of kristallweissbier, it turns out.

Aftertaste: the flavours drop away far too quickly.

Mouth feel: light in body with moderate to higher carbonation. Feels more like a lager than a wheat beer.

Overall: as this is a Weihenstephaner, I've no doubt that this is a well-made kristallweissbier. It is also the first kristal I have had to date, and judging by this experience it will be the last. It feels flat, flaccid and with the usual wheat beer aromas and flavours dulled down almost to nothingness. The style comes across as a low carb beer is to a lager - pretty pointless. Since I can get their hefeweizen for actually less than the equivalent price of AU$68 a case of 24 x 330mL for the kristal, it's a no-brainer.

2.65/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer had a large off-white head when it was poured into my glass.This was just an okay beer to me.Nothing all that special in my opinion.I picked up an aroma that reminded me of bananas.Definitely not one of the better German Wheat beers that I have tasted.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

2.94/5  rDev -27%

This brew has a mild fruity banana aroma. A very lively pour resulting in a very large off white head that last lasted a fairly long time but left little to no lacing. It's body was a very light transparent yellow orange color. This brew has a mild banana flavor to boot. Mild carbonated taste with little to no after bite. Not enough character in this brew to make me appreciate it fully.

2.95/5  rDev -26.8%

A: Pours clear with a very pale straw, almost white color with a massive foamy head that occupies half of my weizen glass

S: Much like their original hefeweizen (banana, clove, pepper, spice) except a bit more subdued in total aromatic output and slightly phenolic.

T: Plenty of spice and a bit of banana flavor with an odd sweetness and more phenols. Again, somewhat like the original, except with half the taste

M: Thin and watery with moderate carbonation.

D: This is my first time with a kristall weizen, and I can't figure out why anybody would want to drink this as opposed to a hefeweizen. This brewery's original hefe is one of my all-time favorite beers, but this one is lacking the intense taste and aroma of its contemporary. I can't think of any reason to buy this one again.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

500 mL bottle

This one started good, the pour is a dark straw/light gold with large white head. Smell was wheat, yeast and minor citrus. Taste was subtle citrus, wheat and very slight hops. The mouthfeel really is odd though, to be this is waaay too much body for the taste and aroma that come with it. This was to the point of excessive filling in my book. For such a light beer I want a light body too, or more taste.

I won't likely buy this again.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

First time I tried a so called kristal weizen, and I really wasn't too impressed... although this brew definitely scores for appearance, with a nice frothy head that def has staying power, the smell is only slightly appealing, and the taste is about average compared to some other brews of similiar style... definitely prefer the hefes over this one... the taste is more subdued, and the citrus and wheat flavor less apparent in this particular type of brew... a little more bitter than what i was expecting... A little better than average sample, but not too sure if I'd purchase this one again, especially considering the fact that a 16.9 oz bottle ran me $2.50...

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

500mL bottle, a code o "4042" on the back label, not sure the meaning.

appears clear golden color, huge 2 inch bone-white head, that fades down to thin covering.

aroma is still the familiar hefeweizen aroma - wheat, and herbal yeast. taste is a bit "cleaner". lower banana and clove notes. thin body, fizzy carbonation.

overall - I like it better that most hefe's, but I still wouldn't seek it out again.

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into a 0.5L weizen glass.

Pours a clear and clean light golden color that forms a ridiculously white fat and frothy head - around three fingers in width. Very pilsner looking. After a few minutes, the head will settle down and shrink in head size, with the bubbles becoming finer as well. Not much carbonating activity either when held up to the light. Without the head, it looks like a very flat brew, yet Weihenstephaner never disappoints in the head-forming department. The smell is reminiscent of the hefeweissbier, but much lighter. The banana and yeast are both still very above all, but at a smaller prominence than its brother product. Very simple, yet still delightful in every way. The taste is also very light and minimal - I was surprised. It's really like drinking banana flavored water. Very, very little going on flavorwise. The slight banana flavor is all you really taste. No wheat and bready chewiness like the regular Hefeweissbier. There's also no lingering aftertaste of any sort. It's like the filter was solely for the appearance and taste. It's nothing exciting to me at all.

This kristalweizen has an incredibly light-bodied mouthfeel with little to no carbonation in the mouth. Definite turn-off, which is definitely affecting its drinkability. Drinkability is fair. It's easy in a sense that it's very light and probably refreshing in the summertime, but not drinkable through the flavor department. Again, it's very watery and mild in flavor. And again, banana-flavored water. I can't see myself having this for a night's session. I'd definitely choose the Hefeweissbier instead.

As for my first kristalweizen, I was hoping for a bit more than what I expected, especially from the Weihenstephaner brewery. Maybe it's how all kristalweizens are, but I'll go the extra effort and go for the hefeweizen instead. I truly hope this was just a bad bottle or something.

Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan