Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Kristalweizen

In our golden-yellow crystal-clear wheat beer the fresh citrus flavour harmonises very well with spicy banana notes. The fine sparkling gives it a tangy and animated appearance. Throughout summer and winter, it’s a prickling experience. It goes well with fish, seafood, white meat or it can be enjoyed as an aperitif. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 1,876 |  Reviews: 831
4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

1 pint .9 fl oz. bottle that has all the usual Weihenstephaner bottle art. It still has the brewery crest on the front and their unknown bottle code on the back. I have no idea what 7097 means. I don't know if I should drink it or throw it away. I'll see how it is first.

Appearance: I had everthing in place to pour the beer into a Weizen glass and as soon as I popped the cap, my bottle had a foam explosion. Luckily I was near a sink when this happened. When everything had settled down, I poured the beer and what came out was a clear straw yellow colored beer.. It had one of the best head of foam I've seen on a beer. Not only did it have a foam explosion, but everytime I poured the beer, it had a massive 3 inch head of white foam every time. It took at leat 3 pours to pour the entire bottle into the glass. The color was weak, but that's the style. Whatever was lacking in the color, the head of foam made up for it.

Smell: I thought this beer was going to have a light aroma of just fruits. Boy was I wrong! Instead, it had a heavy delicious aroma of frsh baked banana bread. It smelled so good that it got my hopes up that there was some fresh baked banana bread to be had. There was just one other aroma after that and that was cake batter. Not the most complex aroma out there, but damn if it wasn't delicious.

Taste: For a light beer, it had a nice sized taste of ripe bananas, cloves, wheat bread (not banana bread), toasted malts, orange spice, and a small hint of citrus hops at the end. The taste was just like I said about the aroma, not the most complex taste out there, but I enjoyed every drop of this beer. It's just too bad that the bananas didn't combine with the wheat bread. I guess you can't have everything.

Mouthfeel: It was a super smooth light beer that happened to have a full flavored aftertaste of ripe bananas, ornage spice, and a small pinch of cloves. The aftertaste stuck around for only a few seconds. There really isn't more you can ask for from a light beer.

Drinkability: Where has this beer been all my life! Not only did this beer make me hungry for banana bread, but it would make an excellent choice for a session beer. It doesn't matter what season you're in. This beer would suit any season. I glad I didn't throw this beer away!

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

This is my first kristalweissbier! And I was very impressed. This beer was one of the most attractive beers I've ever seen - it was a sparkling golden color with a towering white head of miniscule bubbles that faded to an attractive lace. There was a lot of carbonation and bubbles coming from the bottom of my glass.

Aroma was lightly sweet and citrusy and spicy, and also quite good. Flavor was slightly clovely with some subtle sweetness and a malt backing. Very nice. This beer has a substantial mouthfeel...in a good way.

I would highly recommend this beer.

the nose and palate of a hef and the quality of the gritty helles in body. straw color and crystal clear. note of banana and clove with a light weight that brings forth a hop wheat husk quality that you find in nice wheat beers. not creamy at all. mild caliber wheat with a lager feel. although when compared to hef light and helles not as bright. quite a bit drier in quality too.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

500 mL bottle poured into a weizen glass. No freshness date but Coastal just got the shipment in, assumed fresh.

Pours a crystal clear light gold with a pillowy 3 finger head. Good lacing with tons and tons of carbonation.

Aroma is like a slightly subdued hefe, strong banana and clove.

Wow, if you blindfolded me and gave me this, I don't think I could distinguish this from a hefeweizen. Spot on. Strong cloves, rich banana and that clingy wheat.

Slightly wet with tons of carb. Not as creamy as the hefe.

Superb in it's drinkability, dare I say even more so than the hefeweizen. I wish summer was starting so I could buy a case of this.

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%

500ml bottle poured in its own weizen glass.

A - Huge fluffy bubbled aired white head. many tiny bubbles fleeing from the bottom. Pale yellow and clear color. A filtered Weiss, right?

S - Strong smell of banana in the nose. Cinnamon and cloves. Delicious flowery-spicy combination. Also malts and yeasts. The pure definition of liquid bread

T - Much like the aroma. Wheat is very evident followed by the banana and spices (again, cinnamon and cloves). A bit earthy too. Very very light hops bitterness. Just great

M - Medium and bit molasses body. Big carbonation. Dry taste and light bitterness. Very pleasant and drinkable

O - Delicious as expected from a Weihenstephaner. Refreshing and delicious

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Huge frothy head created from a medium to slow pour, although it didnt stick around for long. A truly crystal clear light golden hue. Minimal lacing.

S - Citrus, wheat, yeast, straw, green apple.

T - Similar to the smell, a lemony wheat beer. Its a stinking hot summers day today and this stuff is just the ticket, very refreshing.

M - Light, thin, crisp and furiously carbonated. A kind of champagne quality to it. The wife loved it.

D - Falls short of its magnificent unfiltered brother, yet another tick for the boys at Weihenstephaner.

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

Undated 12 oz bottle

A - Light hazy straw gold color that leaves a very generous head behind. Lots of carbonation is visible. Head is still around btw.

S - A strong mix of spice and yeast. There might be a backdrop of some of the wheat.

T - Starts off with a sweet spicy flavor, not much for bitterness. Guess that rolls w/ the style. Not much malt here either. Yeast is the mid flavor. Finishes with a nice clove and banana combination.

M - Lots of carbonation on the palate. Feels a bit filling as it goes down. Is very full of body.

D - I can drink this beer easily. I can't "slam" them with this carbonation, but it might be a nice easy drinker.

All and all, a good beer.

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer poured dark clear(crystal clear) yellow color and formed a huge white foamy head that latticed lace as it slowly, and I mean slowly, subsided. A heavy amount of carbonation was present. An aroma of malt, hops, cloves and bananas. The flavor was of malt, hops and yeast/bread. The finish was a touch doughy and light. Not as good as the hefe, but not a bad beer.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a golden yellow, completely filtered color, with a stable, fluffy big head.

Smells of a dough bread infused yeast character with a whiff of clove and cardamon to it, ballanced by grassy hops, together with lots of straw. Reveals ripe banana underneath, adding to the spiciness of the yeast, without loosing its white bread malt qualities.

Has a very lively carbonation, with a soft mouthfeel, resulting in a very refreshing, light bodied beer pending between spices and malts.

Tastes almost as clean as the beer looks, while the initial yeast profile shines not only due to its pleasantly integrated spices, but also due to grassy hops and a certain amount of bready malts. The malts turn sweeter after the swallow, showcasing the beers flawless taste, enriching its yeast characteristics by additional balance and complexity, as well as a copper note, brought to the palate by the otherwise soft carbonation bubbles. Finishes with hay infused yeast, weaker on the spices than during the beginning, absorbed by profound, sweeter malts, pleasantly feathered by leafy hops.

Convinces by its perfect mixture of flavors, creating a fantastic balance, tied together by a very smooth mouthfeel, while remaining its refreshing impact.

4.16/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a super clear pale straw with amazing white head.

The smell consists of slight banana and clove along with some bready character. It is all kept in balance and nothing takes front stage.

The taste is also evenly balanced with the usual hefe qualities but with a slightly lighter body and a crispness that isn't usually found in the non kristal versions.

Overall I'm glad I finally decided to pick up this style. It is slightly different but no worse than the non filtered version. I would prefer this with a big burger as it seems to not fill you up as much.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

I'm not a huge fan of kristalweizens, but this once was a pleasure to consume. Appearance wise it produced vast amounts of bright white fluffy/pillowy head, and had golden champagne looking body.

The aroma was bold with freshly cracked pepper, and a slight clove trait. Lemon fragrance was detectable as well.

Taste wise; it was lemony up front, a hint of white grape, and a finish of light bubble gum flavor.

The feel of this brew is light, crisp, and very clean.

Overall the best kristalweizen I've had. One can't ever go wrong with these brewery's products.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

Drank from my Duvel Tulip

A - Pours a clasiic Golden Straw colour witha two fingered white head that retains well.

S - Aromas of banana and clove.

T - Wheat is more present in this than the hefe the banana more prominant though. Nice balanced flavours.

M - High carbonation and light body.

O - Prefer the heffe but this is still a great drop.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

4.77/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Moderate pour yields 1.5 fingers of head that eventually goes away. Crystal clear light yellow liquid. What makes it clear? I guess filtering.

S: Banana and clove, wheat malt. Nearly perfect for a weiss.

T: Hefeweizen flavor all the way. Delicious and solid for that style, I suppose it's spot on for this one too since this is a fintered Hefeweizen. I would say this has perfect flavor

M: A bit thick/chewy? Not bad at all, this beer is smooth as well. The thickness could be from the creamy soup I'm enjoying it with.

D: Strong.