Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Kristalweizen

In our golden-yellow crystal-clear wheat beer the fresh citrus flavour harmonises very well with spicy banana notes. The fine sparkling gives it a tangy and animated appearance. Throughout summer and winter, it’s a prickling experience. It goes well with fish, seafood, white meat or it can be enjoyed as an aperitif. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 1,888 |  Reviews: 834
3.87/5  rDev -4.4%

Let me start off by saying that this isn't a bad beer, but I'm a bit disappointed. I loved the Hefeweissbier and the Dunkelweizen (albiet a little less) and this one just doesn't come close.

A- The beer looks great. While I tend to prefer darker colors, it's an attractive yellowish gold with a nice, thick head, a bit of lacing, and bubbles floating to the top even as the glass is almost finished. That said, it's not what I was expecting, as the label says "crystal clear" under the name, so I expected even lighter.

S- The beer smells better, and more complex, than it tastes. It has a similar smell to that of the Hefeweissbier. Quite light and fruity.

T- This is where I was disappointed as the taste didn't live up to the strong, sweet smell. It's a bit weak and flavorless, and I don't taste the banana or bubblegum that others mention. That said, the aftertaste is pleasant.

M- Light, not too thick or thin, though.

Overall, I think it'd be a great summer beer, and I may try it again on a hot summer afternoon. Then again, if I like the Hefeweissbier better and that's the same price, I'll probably skip this and go with that, as that's still light as well.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

I poured a bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance- Clear, pale golden color with two fingers worth of white foamy head. Fair amount of patchy lacing.

Smell- Clove and banana aroma with some wheat malt .

Taste- Wheat malt flavor with notes of banana and clove.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, crisp, and generously carbonated.

Overall- Nice and refreshing. I prefer the unfiltered version but this is still a good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%