Weihenstephaner Korbinian | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Doppelbock

Our Korbinian, the full-bodied, dark Doppelbock with light brown foam, wins beer-lovers over with a balance of fruity hints of plums and figs, a dark malt aroma - reminiscent of toffee, nuts and chocolate. Its roasted flavour goes well with smoked meat and fish as well as venison and poultry. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

4.2

Ratings: 2,673 |  Reviews: 1,240

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. One of the best beers I have ever had. An excellent Dopplebock and it nails every category: Aroma, Appearance, Taste, Palate and the Overall.

Excellent dobblebock

A - rich mahogany with beige to brownish head that lasts with lots of lacing

S - deep perfumy malts, some sweet and some a bit roasty with a touch of fumey alcohol and a rasp of rosemary

T - now, this is truly a malt bomb but what I love about it is its managed to not be cloying by having a good deal of complexity to it. Theres the sweetness, but then a wide array of roasty notes, slight toffee, coffee and caramel, wood, a kiss of herbs and hop. All this and it finishes nice and remarkably clean - not too sweet nor too dry with no off flavors.

M - great mouthfeel - full bodied but not cloying. Carbonation is very mellow and complements the malt play.

D - despite its strength - I rate this high because its not cloying and complex enough to make you want to keep drinking it to figure out all the flavors. Remarkable job by a remarkable brewery.

Ya know, last time I reviewed this beer I gave it a 4.2. That is simply unacceptably low for a beer of this caliber.
Have you ever fallen in love with a beer? Sure, at first taste it was merely 'good' but you felt an unexplainable urge to return to the store and buy this beer again and again. What seperates this beer from all the others? You aren't really sure -- there are maltier brews, brews with more complexity, with a greater array of flavours, but none of them match the elegance of this one special beer. This is the kind of beer that makes me want to get down on one knee and ask it to be the one beer for me, the beer that I will come home to, the beer that I will drink with joy for the rest of my life.
Sure, I might enjoy another beer every now-and-again but, baby, I didn't mean it. You're better than all those beers, really baby, I mean it. Gimme another chance, don't go away. I know the weather will get warmer soon and you'll leave me for a time. Don't leave me baby, please, I didn't mean it. Don't leave me, don't leave me. . .

Poured from a pint bottle into a tumbler on 01.19.14.

A: Black. Almost as opaque as a stout, but not quite. Some lacing.

S: Roasty banana bread.

T: Lots of malt. Banana bread. Complex.

M: Creamy.

O: The roasty malt comes in sweet then a slight crusty banana bread takes over. The alcohol is completely hidden. This and Salvator are my favorite doppelbocks.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan