Weihenstephaner Korbinian | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Doppelbock

Our Korbinian, the full-bodied, dark Doppelbock with light brown foam, wins beer-lovers over with a balance of fruity hints of plums and figs, a dark malt aroma - reminiscent of toffee, nuts and chocolate. Its roasted flavour goes well with smoked meat and fish as well as venison and poultry. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

4.2

Ratings: 2,673 |  Reviews: 1,240
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.82/5  rDev -9%

ABV 7,4%. Bottle of 500 ml. Made of water, barleymalt and hops.
Poured into a weizen glass. Very dark brown colour, two and a half fingers of off-white head with average retention.Lots of activity in the glass.
Aroma of roasted malts, caramel, toffee.
A great taste of toffee, quite sweet and malty. Roasted malts on the aftertaste, along with bitter dark chocolate.
Full body and although when I poured it seemed to have a hell of a carbonation, the fact is carbonation is just as much as it's needed.
Very nice beer, I was a bit disappointed by the foam's retention, as I wasn't expecting to go down that fast, but everything else is making up for it.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Last of the five bottles. Korbinian from Weheinstephan. I though it would e more to my liking. From the smells and looks it does not disappoint.

Appearance: Poured into the traditional wheat beer glass. Dark brown mahogany color with ruby hues. Almost three fingers thick off white head. Which stays for 2-5 minutes and then becomes a thin creamy layer. Excellent lacing that stays for a long time. Clear appearance when brought to light the light does travel But of course you cannot see through because of the dark color.

Smell: Magic. Complex. Dominant malt, caramel, coffee and chocolate flavor. Slight presence of wheat. Rich warmth in the nose. Bready smell due to malt heaviness. A lot of sweetness in smell.

Taste : Little subdued as compared to smell. Sweetness is in good enough amount. Rich and a lot of malt. Lot of warmth. Some nut presence. More caramel like taste. Some coffee presence as an after taste. Slight hop presence towards the end. Nothing is overpowering. Well balanced.

Mouth feel: Medium bodied feel. Very smooth and soothing even with over 7%. Easy feel on the tongue. Low on carbonation.

Excellent brew. Style wise: 4.5 Personal : 4

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once again, a bottle of unknown origin. I usually default to my local in-person trader, tone77, but he has not reviewed it as far as I can tell. I really need to divest myself of these bottles so that I may return to what really matters - The CANQuest (TM)!

From the bottle: "Dunkles Starkbier"; "Weihenstephan [-] The World's Oldest Brewery".

Stark, eh? I hope that this has something to do with the Stark Fist of Removal as I have been very pink as of late with Oktober being Breast Awareness Month (Cancer) and I need more slack. No slack with respect to my pour, which resulted in two-plus fingers of thick, dense, deep-tan head with excellent retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with malt and I was afraid that it might be too sweet for my liking. Mouthfeel was thick, chewy and not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. The taste was cocoa and dried dark fruits, This was a very smooth-drinking beer and I had swilled nearly a quarter of it before I came to my senses. Finish was semi-sweet, again, nowhere near as sweet as the nose led me to believe. This was, as the DME boys would call it, a "sneaky" beer. Proceed with caution!

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excited to find this after reading comparisons to Celebrator. Poured a very dark brown with minimal light brown/tan head. Some lacing as I worked my way through. Nose was sweet with caramel and a little roasted malt. Very enticing. Taste followed up with more sweetness - dark fruit, a sweet bread taste and definitely some type of chocolate. The chocolate was a little muted and tasted like really good and mellow cocoa. Full bodied with good carbonation. Very easy and enjoyable to drink, and absolutely lived up to the hype. Already looking forward to a doppelbock taste test with a few other favorites.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a dimpled mug.

A - Pours a dark generally clear reddish-brown, with a thick three-finger tan head. Lacing coats the glass when sipped but then slinks back into the brew.

S - Lots and lots of sweety caramel malt. Esters of candied sugar, and raisin bread. Slight tinge of earthiness.

T - Taste follows the nose, with bready sweetness forward, but also trending toward dark fruits in the mid-palate. Slight twinge of earthy hops lurk in the background in the finish. Booze slightly detectable as it warms. Flavors are rich without being overwhemling. Tasty.

M - It is here where this beer truly excels. Light to medium bodied and without a trace of stickyness or syrupyness on the tongue. A velvety texture. Carbonation is perfect and could best be described as "smooth".

O - Hands down the best Doppelbock I have ever had, primarily due to the fact that it isnt syrupy or too heavy, as many I have tried seem to be. Will be grabbing when I am in the mood for the style. Side note: possibly due to the light body, I enjoyed this beer when it was colder than the normal suggested temperature (more like the temp you would want a dark lager...yeah I know, not very "beer geek" of me)

Weihenstephaner Korbinian from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan