Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Weihenstephaner Korbinian | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Doppelbock

Our Korbinian, the full-bodied, dark Doppelbock with light brown foam, wins beer-lovers over with a balance of fruity hints of plums and figs, a dark malt aroma - reminiscent of toffee, nuts and chocolate. Its roasted flavour goes well with smoked meat and fish as well as venison and poultry. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,694 |  Reviews: 1,245

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

3.54/5  rDev -15.7%

500 ml into a stein mug

Pours a dark roasted coffee brown with a full khaki color head

Heavy yeasty malts, coffee bean, and a stout like roasted aroma hits as soon as you pour

Malt flavor is abundant along with dark fruit.

Pretty light mouthfeel and the 7.4 abv is well hidden. Great value

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

poureed into tulip glass.

reviewed from notes taken 8/14/12.

Appearance: brown bodied beer with a red hue. 2 fingers of decent light brown colored head.

Smell: Big malty and fruity beer.

Taste: This is all malts as expected from of beer in this style. Red grapes, dark fruits, a touch of caramel. Its bready and sweet. A hint of brown sugar as well.

Mouthfeel: low end of medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is so drinkable; no ABV noted at all. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: This beer is just effortlessly good. One of the better dopplebock that I have drank in a long time. The consistancy from this brewery is really great. Every beer that I have tried from this brewery is awesome. The price point is always a fantastic value! $2.50 for a 500ml bottle! Stock up on beers from this brewery if you got a small beer budget!

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a brown color with a reddish hur if held directly in front of a light. The head will not go away. Caramel pervades on the nose as well as the palate. A touch of prune or something also makes an appearance. The hops don't really do much, but the carbonation does a little something to balance it out. Moutfeel is a little chewy - not something I particularly liked in this case, though not bad. All in all I'd say it's another good showing for this brewery and for the doppelbock style, although I think a few others have this beat.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

I had this beer over a week ago and I’ve been struggling with how to write up a review. As with many traditional German beers, the Weihenstephaner Korbinian is just really really good. I don’t know what else to say.

I could sit here and describe the beer…dark reddish chocolate in color, sweet malty aroma, almost creamy malty taste, malty finish, lingering maltiness, malty deliciousness, and malt…but what distinguishes this–and many similar German beers–is the fact that it’s a well-made beer, period. Coming from the oldest brewery in the world, there’s nothing I could really add to the tomes written on this beer. So I’ll just recommend it for those who like darker styles and wish to know what beer in its natural habitat tastes like.

I apologize for a no-frills review, but sometimes a no-frills beer is exactly what hits the spot.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Review from 4/2010 notes. Poured into a Celebrator pokal. Pours a dark semi-opaque brown with a small light brown head. Aroma of sweet malt and caramel. Nice dark malts up front with some smoke. Hints of molasses, root beer and a touch of hops. A light slightly flavored finish. Creamy medium bodied. Nicely made, as with all Weihenstephan beers. Prost!

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle from Beer Deluxe. From notes.

A - Poured bright with a ruby red colour. One finger of light brown head left spattered lace and an island of retention.

S - Dark fruit, bready, nice.

T - Dark fruit, bread, sweet aromas. Some sugar maybe.

M - Good carbonation, medium to full body and a sweet plummy finish.

O/D - A really nice Dopplebock. Not complex really, but well put together and pleasant the whole way. Great drinkability.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have been trying a lot of varieties of Weihenstephaner in the past year. One of the local markets seems to carry every one. I love the heffeweizen, but I think the Korbinian is even better. I am a big fan of doppelbocks overall and up to this point my favorite had been Salvator Doppelbock by Paulaner.

A: Pours a nice very dark amber colour. It does not have an overpowering head and carbonation is well balanced.

S: I would say I smell a combination of malt and fruits. It was very pleasant

T: The best feature of this particular beer. I don't have words to describe it.. I just like it.

M: Not overpowering, smooth, reminds me of a well aged whiskey in a way, just with the carbonation.

O: My overall impression of this beer is very positive. My favorite Doppelbock.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan