Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel | Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan

Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Germany
weihenstephaner.de

Style: Dunkelweizen

Our dark wheat beer is impressive with its creamy white foam. A fruity-fresh sweetness and hints of mature bananas harmonise with delicious flavours of roasted malt, sparkling and full-bodied with a light caramel taste on the first sip. An excellent accompaniment from hearty meals and game to chocolate and nut desserts. Brewed according to our centuries-old brewing tradition on the Weihenstephan hill.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

#769

Ratings: 3,014 |  Reviews: 1,124
2.25/5  rDev -47.1%

2.38/5  rDev -44%

This beer pours a brown color with a nice, thick head and it leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is that of malts, with some fruit and caramel as well. The flavor wasn't very enjoyable, in my opinion. There was something slightly skunky about it - which I've found rare in darker beers. The flavor was a mixture of the malts and the caramel, but I didn't find much of the fruit that was in the aroma. Again, not a terrible beer, but I didn't care much for it.

2.5/5  rDev -41.2%

2.5/5  rDev -41.2%

2.62/5  rDev -38.4%

Reviewed from notes. Still Drinking though as I write.

Appearance: Tea. Thick foamy head after a moderate pour into a glass mug. It quickly reduced to a thin head. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Not much.. maybe that's due to the mug. I don't know.

Taste: To me it was lacking flavor and body. Not what I expected.

Mouthfeel: Again, to me, nothing much here.

Drinkability: Certainly it is easy to drink but the lack of taste is off-setting for me.

I am open to suggestions on this.

2.7/5  rDev -36.5%

I can't believe I'm giving this beer relatively low marks, since the other beers I've had from the brewery have been very good. Perhaps I expected too much. Poured a hazy ice tea brown. Not a lot of aroma. Mild banana yeast esthers jumped up at the front, but then surrendered to nondescript sweet yeast flavors. Did not detect a lot of wheat malt, which was surprising for a dark wheat.

2.73/5  rDev -35.8%

Served on-draught into a 500ml hefeweissbier glass at the Delirium Cafe in Brussels. Reviewed from notes taken June 2011.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice soft cream, good thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a nontransparent dark brown.

Sm: Roasted barley (in a dunkel?) Floral hops. Heavy caramelized malt. Some nuts.

T: Caramelized malt dominates the first half, but the second half feels empty. Slight nutty character on the fringe with hints of cream. Quite imbalanced structurally, with radically different halves. Very strange build compared to most dunkels I've had; I have to wonder if the tap is set up correctly. I wish the flavour early on remained for the latter half.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the flavours of the body.

Dr: The caramelized malt is overdone. The balance is off. The price is fair, and she drinks pretty easy. Worth a go, but better out of the bottle.

C-

2.74/5  rDev -35.5%

An initially large off-white head that almost overflowed the glass with moslty fine bubbles. This wheat beer was not one of my favorite, but more or less middle of the road for me. There was no strong after taste, but the taste did linger for a long time.

2.75/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev -32.5%

Opaque caramel color with a pillowy white head. Coninous bubbles streaming from the glass bottom. Retention on par for a wheat.

Smells like mold, yeast, and sweaty tropical fruit...not unlike sweaty runner butt. I'm not getting any of the banana phenols everyone else seems to have. My bottle date seems to indicate a relatively fresh bottle. What's up?

First and foremost a crisp clove snap followed by a toasty malt. Nutty finish.

Subpar for Weihenstephaner.

2.93/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at bottle barn. Couldn't wait to try as I used the same yeast strain in a homebrewed dunkel as well.

A - Poured a dark copper, with a 3 fingered off-white head. Dissipated moderately slow and left a little lacing.

S - Honey, burnt toffee, peanuts, and a little bit of wheat.

T - Wow, you can really taste the roasted malts. Honestly, it's a bit overwhelming. Burnt toffee, a little honey, and some wheat in the background.

M - Full-bodied, malt dominated, very viscousy.

D - A bit disappointed. I could not detect bittering hops and the roasted, almost burnt malts made this a tough one to drink. I really enjoyed Franziskaner's Dunkel and expected similar features to style.

2.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.98/5  rDev -29.9%

A: [4.00] The bottle has a date code "7206" that somehow I decoder ringed into (05/17/2016). The bottle lists the ABV (5.3%). The beer pours out a murky milk chocolate color. The glass is 50% beer and 50% dense off white head.

S: [2.75] Belgian yeast funk and some caramel.

T: [3.00] Light toffee, Belgian yeast (but not nearly as strong as the nose). Lemongrass.

M: [2.75] Thin body with low carbonation.

O: [3.00] I thought the Dunkel might improve the Belgian yeast flavor that I don't like. It didn't. The beer is pretty muted on flavor, feel and scent.

Draft, at the Maple Tree Inn, Blue Island, IL. Not quite up to what I hoped to find. Still pretty nice, though. Color is beer-bottle brown under a fizzy head. Taste is sugary and kind of light. Banana flavor builds up with not much else to balance it.

Hazy dead brown color with a sparkling off white head. Lots of fresh cut apple on the nose with clove and raw dough. Moderate body with good crispness. Not explosive flavor wise in the least. Some roasted malt with clove and banana bread. Slightly stringy mouthfeel. Holds together really well but is a tad watery up front. Good and drinkable but nothing really wows me.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel from Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 3,014 ratings