Siberian Winter Imperial Stout | Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by DirtyPenny on 07-20-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 3
4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Had both the 2011 (8.8%) and the 2013 (10.2%) on tap at Tullycross Tavern in Manchester, CT. The biggest difference between the two is the texture. The 2011, with more time under its belt, has a much thicker, syrupy texture which I think adds to an imperial stout immensely. The alcohol level is high, but not overly present. The 2013 was a wonderful stout as well with a bitter coffee and roasted malt flavor. Overall, two of my favorite beers ever from Tullycross and throughout the beer world in general.

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

NOTE: This review was written for TCT's Russian Imperial Stout. Not sure if someone has info I don't and TCT changed the name (if so, not sure why the RIS is also listed elsewhere), or if this just got misplaced.

Had on tap at Tullycross on July 17th. Far as I can tell this is not always available, as it was not on the menu. Waitress brought it up and I figured I'd give it a shot.

A: Pitch black with an inch-tall cocoa beige head. The head crawled away very, very slowly, and still left a millimeter of foam even when I was halfway down the glass.

S: Coffee and caramel. Powerful enough to reach even my lackluster sense of smell.

T: Holy hell! A riot of chocolate, toffee, black coffee and caramel all blended together in proportion, with a prominent bite of alcohol on the end. More and more caramel and less of the coffee notes as it warms. Just a tremendously rich and complex brew.

M: Rich, creamy and smooth as silk.

O: I'm not much of a stout fan, but this got my attention. This is my first imperial stout and I was definitely wowed. I'll certainly be trying others and evaluating as I get a better feel for the style, but if it gets any better than this I don't know that I can handle it.

3.81/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

32oz mini growler from the Brew Pub. Note: the Brew Pub says this version is 8.8% Abv. Pours a pitch black color with a 1/4inch of brown head. Some lacing. Aroma is earthy with some roasted malts and dark chocolate. Hints of coffee and black licorice. The taste is roasted malts, peat and dark coffee with bitter dark chocolate at the end. Hints of licorice. A bit smoky. Not a big alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is watery and on the thin side for the style, but it drinks well. Lightly carbonated. Overall, pretty good Imperial Stout that I'd grab another growler of or try on tap.

Siberian Winter Imperial Stout from Tullycross Tavern & Microbrewery