Penn Quarter Porter | DC Brau Brewing Co.

Penn Quarter PorterPenn Quarter Porter

DC Brau Brewing Co.
District of Columbia, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Penn Quarter Porter is our first in a line of draft-only limited-release beer, and it's a robust porter! In the way that The Public is on the line between a pale ale and an IPA, this is on the line between a porter and a stout - with chocolate notes and a dry, roasted finish.

Added by starrdogg on 05-12-2011

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 108 | Ratings: 542
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Now here's a great porter. Tan head is all pillow-y and inviting. Smells and tastes like robust yet smooth roasted malts with dark chocolate first, then maybe some coffee.

At 5.5% it goes down a little softer and lighter in the mouth while still having a full roasted character and just the right weight on the tongue.

This goes on my list of good dark beers to have with hamburgers or steak. Or chili. Or a big waffle with lots of butter and maple syrup and a side of bacon and eggs. That's the brunch for me.

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Porter? Stout?

Appearance: Poured Dark Brown/Black with a creamy 3 finger beige head that lingered for a few minutes.

Smell: Heavy odor of long roasted coffee with some maltiness. Nothing offensive at all.

(I am a RIS lover and the taste is great for me.) Taste is just like the smell nuff said, so I loved the smell. Medium body and carbonation, I did not find this thin but rather hearty for what it was. Bitterness was appropriate and pleasant. Dry finish

Solid! I wish this was not limited. Thanks DC Brau!

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the can and into the rather large snifter.
Lighter weight pour than expected, effervescent, faint carbonation present - thick, mocha head over an inch plus - Almost sugary, hickory, slight almandine aroma.

My first taste was cocoa, small amount of sea salt, creamy mouth feel and taste, not too heavy or syrupy. The middle of the palette is typical caramel hops and that gives way to the expected coffee bitterness, still cafe au lait, the slight bubbling carries the butteriness through to cut hard acidic earthy bitter taste short.Lacing is a little chunky, but I drank it so quickly, not entirely certain it had tie to set up.
*The light carbonation was different but I really enjoyed the effect it had on the brew overall.

My best friend had been crowing about this local brew for weeks and I have to admit I'm excited about it as well. Beautifully made beer that I plan on sharing with other beer geeks.

4.66/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: On top is two fingers worth of dark beige head. Underneath is very dark.

Aroma: Heavy dark roasted coffee, roasted walnut, twinges of smokiness, very faint chocolate, dark roasted malts.

Taste: Roasted coffee, traces of vanilla bean, nuttiness, smokiness, dark roasted malts with a few charred hop notes. It starts with a crisp bite and finishes silky smooth much like a chocolate malt.

Notes: Well what we have here is a bit of a dark horse in the world of American Porters. I was not sure what I was in for but dam this is something tasty. Not only would I pick this one up again but It's one of the best American Porters I have ever had what a treat. Cheers to D.C Brau for this gem of a beer.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can poured into nonic pint

A: Dark and rich looking nice slightly mocha head

S: Nice roast smell with some chocolate and licorice very rich aromas

T: nice roast flavor some licorice and slight bitter chocolate

M: very lush and thick creamy very nice feel

O: This is a winner a great porter very thick and it comes in a can that is awesome.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours pitch black, completely opaque, with 3 full fingers of chocolate/caramel colored head that lasted for quite a while before dissolving into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Massive aromas of dark chocolate and coffee. Some subtle notes of freshly baked dark bread, but it’s almost completely overpowered by the coffee and dark chocolate. Slight caramel and burnt sugar notes too.

Taste: Like the aroma, the predominate flavors of this beer are dark chocolate and coffee. Actually there’s a lot of coffee flavor in this beer, bur surprisingly, and thankfully, none of the coffee bitterness. The beer finishes with the dark chocolate and some mild sweetness. Some slight tobacco flavors too. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-thick and creamy. Chewy. Coats the mouth well!

Overall: Goddamn, this is an AWESOME Porter!! I really enjoy the roastiness that this beer has, and the wonderful balance between the coffee and the chocolate. One of the best porters I’ve ever had!

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

i think DC Brau was the first real experience that made me knew i was hooked on the good craft beers

this beer is no exception, i love it

nearly jet black beer with a little bit of head on it, poured out of my growler at home :-)

roasted malt aroma and some chocolate too, even there is some spice and nutmeg in there, kind of weird but i like it! :-)

oh wow what a nice taste, especially in the end there its real smooth nice dark character without the annoying ashtray flavor so clean

overall this is one of the best if not the best local beers right now in DC I salivate when I think of it

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Finest porter I've ever had. "Chocolate" always sounded fake in descriptions of beer before I tried this one today. There is a sizzle at the end, the kind of zest that reminds me of peppered chocolate. Not bitter, not sweet, not so dark you can't taste the light inside. Absolutely superb. My new all time favorite porter. You should move to DC just to be close to a fresh keg of this stuff.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Penn Quarter Porter from DC Brau Brewing Co.