Penn Quarter Porter | DC Brau Brewing Co.

Penn Quarter PorterPenn Quarter Porter

DC Brau Brewing Co.
District of Columbia, United States
dcbrau.com

Style: American Porter

Penn Quarter Porter is our first in a line of draft-only limited-release beer, and it's a robust porter! In the way that The Public is on the line between a pale ale and an IPA, this is on the line between a porter and a stout - with chocolate notes and a dry, roasted finish.

Added by starrdogg on 05-12-2011

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a big fan of the can beer. It was a little rough of the edges. I am porter fan but this had a little bit of a coating on the mouth. We were doing a tour of the east coast and this was kinda of a road block on the tour. DC beer that was to be the best of the batch, it was a little rough.

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a mug. Pours pitch black with a nice brown head. Smells of coffee, chocolate, and very slight fruitiness. Tastes of slight berries with a very strong coffee. Beer is full bodied lighter carbonated but very drinkable. Overall, a very good beer.

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Updated 9/2015 from brewery pour:
A: dark, dark brown to black, medium-to-dark tan head. Nice foamy head congregates at edge head with significant lacing.

S: roasted grain notes and weak coffee, coming through more with warmth. There's also a bit of roasted nuttiness in the background.
Update: nuttiness definitely present, creating like a light hazelnut coffee nose.

T: dark roasted grains, some medium body coffee, just on the bitter side of a balance against sweetness. The middle taste I get a little oat flavor. The end taste is a bit of generic green (shrub-like) hops taste that lightly dries the mouth.
Update: definitely opens with roasted grain notes, unsweetened coffee in nature. I'm beginning to think it actually leans a little nutty, like a hazelnut coffee. Roasted astringency adds to bitterness that is somewhat woody in nature, maybe even a tad smoky in the end taste.

M: besides the light drying, which I like better than a hop-bomb ending in porters, the overall feel is just a tad weak. The taste does hit all parts of the mouth, though, so I'm between a notch higher and what I gave it.

O: I think to me it's one of the best porters I've had as far as enjoyment. Roasted malt characters backed by a light, dry bittering effect in the back, that's what I enjoy. This one is also right I the edge of being a stout, maybe that helps.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Penn Quarter Porter from DC Brau Brewing Co.