The Corruption | DC Brau Brewing Co.

The CorruptionThe Corruption
Liked This Beer
3.86 w/ 1,231 ratings
The CorruptionThe Corruption

DC Brau Brewing Co.
District of Columbia, United States
dcbrau.com

Style: American IPA

The Corruption™ IPA is DC Brau's take on a Pacific Northwest IPA. Brewed with Pale 2 row, C-10, Honey and Victory malts. Exclusively hopped with 40 lbs of Columbus hops per brew to ring in at 80 IBU. "The Corruption" comes in at 6.5% ABV. This beer straddle's the line between IPA and Imperial IPA and has a supportive malty backbone with an assertive hop presence that smacks your mouth with a dank, resinous bitterness followed by pleasant aroma's of pine sap and burnt spruce.

Added by akorsak on 05-21-2011

1.25/5  rDev -67.6%

1.34/5  rDev -65.3%

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

2.22/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Canned on 9/5/13

Pours a slightly hazy, dark golden copper with apricot edges and a 1.5 finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Decent retention with streaks of soapy lacing left behind. A little dark for the style and looks exactly like their pale ale. I don't even think the head brewer could tell them apart.

Slightly grassy, earthy aroma with some resinous pine and floral hops but overall, the aroma of this beer is really weak for the style with a ton of malt sweetness in the nose. This was canned exactly two weeks ago and the hop presence is minimal at best. Some pine needle and spruce tip but its severely muted by lots of caramel sweetness, toffee and biscuit. Very disappointing.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with earthy hop bitterness that's countered by a prominent sweet malt backbone. Again, there is some earthy/resinous, dry bitterness but the hops are almost completely overpowered by the strong malt flavors. Some grassy pine and sticky spruce tip followed by strong caramel sweetness, dark fruit, roasted nut, toffee and biscuit. Overall, this beer was a pretty big letdown for me. One dimensional hop profile and the malt character is way too strong for the style. Their pale ale is more complex, better balanced and possesses more interesting hop flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

2.4/5  rDev -37.8%

This beer was forgettable. No discernable smell. Standard citrus flavors without anything special. Mouthfeel and appearance were equally bland. I suppose you could drink a lot of it, but why? I will not order this one again especially when there are other good beers from this brewery.

2.45/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Since the year that DC Brau came on this scene this had been my go to home town IPA. It was a hazy, resinous hoppy standout beer. Now sadly, it's been neutered. I had thought it was my imagination but then I started hearing similar comments from other people.

It's now completely filtered, blandly hopped and totally generic. I had hoped that I had just gotten an off batch but it been about a year now and it's still hobbled. I can't imagine why the signature beer would be undermined this way. It's not a terrible beer by any means but quite forgettable. It's genuinely Corrupted now.

2.62/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nose has a kind of sweet juicy quality to it. I get guava and papaya predominantly.

Appearance is somewhat disappointing. It pours out a hazy orange with a slightly off-white colored head. The lacing is good, but the disappointing thing is the yeast floating in the glass. I didn't even know it was "canditioned".

Bitterness is upfront and personal from first sip through the finish, but none in the aftertaste. The hop character asserts itself in the aftertaste as a kind of floral taste. Hard to determine any other flavors due to overwhelming bitterness.

Interesting texture too, its grainy, and thats really hard to overlook. Medium body and medium-high carbonation. Overall, I've had a lot better.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from can into tulip glass. Taste like a home brew, doesn't finish. Bitter

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had heard mixed things about the Corruption and after it hit the MD market I was eager to try it myself. DC Brau has a great image, they're cool guys, and On the Wings was a solid double IPA. However, I remain completely unimpressed by this beer. It was nice looking, sure. No frothy head, but sticky lacing all the way down, nice bronzed color, an initial burst of hops and sweet malts upon opening the can, but I could not get over the vegetal flavor. The bitterness struck me as harsh, the taste vegetal, and both only grew as the beer warmed. Maybe I'm getting old beers, but I live about 30 minutes from DC and since the beer has only recently hit the market, most stores have a hard time keeping it on the shelves. This is not something I'll seek out again.

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%

An ordinary IPA, nothing special here.

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had been hearing really good things about DC Brau so I visited their brewery yesterday. This beer had a nice amber color but nothing special. The smell was teh best part of the beer, really nice Columbus Hops aroma (I asked what hops where used and this was the only one). On the mouth felt a little light bodies, almost watery and the tast at first was pleasant ebough, but quickly went down hill. All hops, and it gets really bitter, I felt had they used a little more malt to balance it out it would have been much nicer. The more I thought about this beer, the less favorable I felt. I really like IPAs and maybe I'll give this another shot.

2.99/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought this beer (marked 10/25/16) in DC area when I was visiting in November but this review is for my last can now in January. I can say that the flavor appears to be the same that I remember. I bought it because of a high review on BA but I was quickly thinking "meh"... I like it slightly more now.

Pours to deep copper with a very slight haze. Head dissipates very quickly. The aroma is weakly malty. There is an off scent I can't quite place but it is thin enough to not be offensive. This beer delivers on the malt backbone and the malt flavors are sufficiently balanced to be intriguing. The hops are hard to detect. Let me repeat: I do not detect any of the piney/floral/fruit hops that others point out. Odd. This malt-forward profile continues into the aftertaste though a lingering bitterness finally kicks in at the end. The flavor is slightly sweet due to some caramel hints, which I think redeems this brew.

Overall I am not left feeling like I want to get this again but I want to be clear that it falls on the side of a good beer so I would still recommend for those wanting to try local brews in northern VA - especially if you are into NW IPAs. [Edit] - actually I would try this again just to see if the lack of hop flavor is an anomaly. I would like to see how a juicy hop profile could compliment the ample malt flavor.

The Corruption from DC Brau Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 74.4% out of 100 with 1,231 ratings