The Corruption | DC Brau Brewing Co.

The CorruptionThe Corruption

DC Brau Brewing Co.
District of Columbia, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The Corruption™ IPA is DC Brau's take on a Pacific Northwest IPA. Brewed with Pale 2 row, C-10, Honey and Victory malts. Exclusively hopped with 40 lbs of Columbus hops per brew to ring in at 80 IBU. "The Corruption" comes in at 6.5% ABV. This beer straddle's the line between IPA and Imperial IPA and has a supportive malty backbone with an assertive hop presence that smacks your mouth with a dank, resinous bitterness followed by pleasant aroma's of pine sap and burnt spruce.

Added by akorsak on 05-21-2011

Reviews: 193 | Ratings: 1,195
3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Simple review, on tap:

Nice clear orange-golden pour with nice sustaining head and lacing.
Smell of Citra mostly, with a pine presence
West Coast style, the malt flavor touches the front of the tongue and is whisked roughly away by the pine/grass landslide that covers the back of the tongue.
The beer could use a little more balance, for me, and feels just a tad thin. However, if you like the west coast hop bombs, try a fresh one of these and see what you think.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - rich copper color, two finger width foamy head, great retention as well. just what an IPA should look like.

Smell - quite mellow, but I find some hints of citrus hops at the end

Taste - you get a lot more citrus hops than you smell from this one. nice malt build at the end for a nice finish

Mouthfeel - the maltiness from the end lingers in your mouth for quite a bit, but I enjoyed it

Overall - glad I got to try this one from a trade.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: slightly hazy; burnt orange; 1 finger off white head that receded slowly to a wispy cap; very nice, long lasting lacing;

S: dank piney hops; a little earthy; a little floral;

T: caramel with floral up front; malt sweetness added in a mid-palate; finish is earthy and floral with moderate bitterness;

M: medium bodied; ample carbonation;

O; interesting; well made; glad I tried it, but not my style of IPA;

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a can with no dating on it from what I can tell into a DC Brau can glass.

Pours a rocky seafoam looking head that lasted the entire glass on top of medium amber hued body. Very nice looking IPA.

Huge pine notes dancing around some herbal smell I can't put my finger on. Not my favorite smelling IPA, hoping the taste picks something a bit nicer.

Taste is just about the same. Bitter outweighing the pretty sizable malt backbone on this which is a feat. Can't say I'm surprised after reading the description of this beer from the brewer, I really don't love Columbus hops as the primary hop variety. Meh.

Can't say I'd seek this out again, it's a mediocre IPA in a beer world with 100 better IPAs sitting on shelves.

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

can-date: 4/7/14. pours a lovely golden copper hue with foamy off white head. a good lookin beer

nose: caramel candy, lavender, faint tropical fruitiness, traces of fresh pine

taste: sweet caramel malt and fruity hops with tangerine, guava, candied sugar, touch of floral/lavender? and lemon. decent bitterness turns quickly smooth and sweet on finish with lingering fruity notes and some pine spice

feel- smooth, sweet, juicy, fragrant

great beer! took this backpacking and it was a real treat. great profile, not super bitter but a nice drinker

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: A very cloudy orange amber copper color. It yielded a nice one finger head with a moderately aggressive pour. Head was ecru with an ever so slight green tint. Left a nice lace.

S: Wierd. That's all I can say. Almost like seafoam or sandy. The hops that where there smelled faintly of pine and there was a light citrus smell. Not a robust aroma and somewhat weak.

T: Fairly good. Not top tier but not bad overall. Very easy to drink, pleasant but a little too much of a bitter aftertaste and a lack of strong hops. A good IPA I sip. This one I was taking larger sips.

M: Not very thick. Fairly easy to swallow. A little watery but pleasant nonetheless.

O: I was excited to try Corruption and it's been somewhat hard to find. I bought a single at a beer store. I won't say I was let down as my expectations for a DC beer weren't too high. I was pleased but not overwhelmed. This is a solid IPA, a good one, with some flaws. It could be better if not for a few niggling issues. I would purchase again, but not go out of my way. Would make a good go to, and maybe even a session. It's an easy to drink IPA. Better IPAs take me a while to drink. This one took me half the time. If I was at a party, I could see me drinking a six of this.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a clear copper with over a finger fluffy head that lingered for some time and left decent lace behind. The nose is delightfully hoppy. The flavor profile is well balanced with hearty malt and bitter hops blending together very well. The finish has a lingering hop bitterness that is reasonably potent for a single IPA.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz can
A) Pours with a two finger head, tight, creamy, slightly off-white in color. Slightly hazy body copper in color. Sticky lacing one the drink down.
S) Piney. Flowery citrus.
T) Earthy, pungent hop bite from the beginning. The malt mix in subtly. Hints of caramel. Slight touches of black peppers.
M) Medium-light body. Slightly dry finish. Mellow hop tannins.
O) A delicious IPA. I will be drinking another one.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Info on the can notes it's called "The Corruption" after the notorious alleged 1824 backroom deal between John Quincy Adams and Henry Clay in which Clay gave Adams his electoral votes so Adams could win the Presidency and forestall the election of Andrew Jackson. When Clay was subsequently appointed Secretary of State by Adams, many people thought it was in return for the "gift" of votes from Clay, and that it had all been planned in advance by the two. Belief in "The Corrupt Bargain" was a big reason that Jackson beat Adams in 1828. Most historians however seem to think Clay was a natural choice for Secretary of State because of his foreign policy experience, and that Clay despised fellow frontier politician Jackson. In any event there is no proof that the Corrupt Bargain was actually made. But the can historian does not mention that.

Canned 3/19/14, so still pretty fresh. Bought in Connecticut a week or so ago, we don't get DC Brau in Mass.

Poured from the 12 oz,. can into a Lawson's snifter

a; Deep clear amber with a great finger thick offwhite head which receded to thin even surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Pretty intense citrus,.

t; Medium piney hop bite over a solid medium/caramel malt base.

m: Medium with nice body,.

o: Tasty and enjoyable! Rather dark and malty for an IPA, more reminiscent of a good English Bitter, but more bitter than most of those, making it a good American style English Bitter. Cut not that much below the more expensive Green Flash Palate Wrecker DIPA that I like so much. Just maybe a little less malt flavor under the hop bite.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had heard mixed things about the Corruption and after it hit the MD market I was eager to try it myself. DC Brau has a great image, they're cool guys, and On the Wings was a solid double IPA. However, I remain completely unimpressed by this beer. It was nice looking, sure. No frothy head, but sticky lacing all the way down, nice bronzed color, an initial burst of hops and sweet malts upon opening the can, but I could not get over the vegetal flavor. The bitterness struck me as harsh, the taste vegetal, and both only grew as the beer warmed. Maybe I'm getting old beers, but I live about 30 minutes from DC and since the beer has only recently hit the market, most stores have a hard time keeping it on the shelves. This is not something I'll seek out again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the cloudiest beer I've ever been served. The closest equivalent I can think of is chocolate milk. Not much head, but it does leaves a good coat of lace after each sip.

The smell is muted, but the taste is full. On the malt side, there's some sweet crystal. On the hop side, strong peppery bitterness. The aftertaste is long lasting (and bitter). The mouthfeel is well balanced.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. can with no canning date. Served in a balloon glass.

The Corruption has a cloudy amber body with ruby highlights throughout and topped by an incredible off-white cream head that shows impeccable lacing and stickage. It definitely appears to be a hoppy beer.

The aroma is a medium strength bouquet of various hop aromas, showing off primary notes of grapefruit, pine needles, and light honey malts that contribute an almost floral character.

The taste has a distinct difference from the aroma in this beer. The bitterness is there and balances the malts out, but it remains well-balanced, if not just slightly on the bitter side. Hop flavor takes the front of the palate with a light citrus and pine flavor, but then after the swallow, the hops become onion-like in the finish. Well, actually I don't know if that is the hops character or not...it might be the malts too. The carbonation is good for the style, and provides a sharpness to the mouthfeel. The Corruption is medium-bodied, and hides the 6.5% pretty well.

I was thrown off by the flavor which I perceived to be "onion-like" but was not turned off by it. I still found this to be a unique beer, and would not turn someone against picking some of this up. I personally don't find this the most compelling IPA out there, but again...it IS unique. Better than ok, but not great!

4.26/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Looks about as expected for an ipa. Nice lacing on the glass and head is a healthy half inch for a growler. picked this up at The Perfect Pour - Columbia MD
S- big time resinous pine with some faint citrus notes. Awesome
T- follows pretty well, sweet citrus malt first , quickly followed on by piney, earthy dank hops and. Hops are real nice.
M- about med. toward light with proper bubbles. Long bitter -resinous -pithy finish is impressive
O- Will look for this again. At first I thought the finish overwhelming but it didn't make it less drinkable or enjoyable. HOPHEADS - I highly recommend.

3.27/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

No apparent canning date, but a store sticker with 02/27/14 is found on the can, so it's gotta be at least somewhat fresh

Appearance - Pours a semi-hazy rustic amber with a sandstone colored, near 2-finger head. Fair retention results in a thin, near broken layer of suds across the surface. Lacing is prominent, with good stick.

Smell - Earthy, and piney as hell; resinous, dank. Faint notes of grapefruit. So far, not my type of IPA.

Taste - Follows the nose. Earth, some caramel undertone and a strong dankness that rides along with a resinous pine character. Light grapefruit pith in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full body with low carbonation. Smooth, in the least.

Overall - Yeah, not my cup o' tea. Just too resinous and piney for my liking. Fans of ultra dank IPAs should certainly give this one a try. You'll likely love it. For me? A one and done. While my tolerance for these dank monsters has grown, my appreciation for them has not.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

Been smashing cans of this stuff during my stay in DC. Got a six from Whole foods. May as well review it on my last night here.

A - Darkish golden with a two finger nice white head. Mild carbonation. Good lace and a half finger of retention.

S - Grassy, earthy, pissy. Falconers Flight maybe? Dank, fruity. Some pine.

T - Pissy and earthy again. Pine and grass. Sweet, syrupy fruits come out more later.

M - Good bitterness, mild carbonation, medium body.

O/D - Fairly solid IPA. I wouldn't rank it too highly, but it's well done. Good from the can, however something holds it back when you really look at it closely. I enjoyed it. Drinkability is high.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased a 6 pack of corruption in CT on my way home. Not knowing anything about this beer, I was going on a whim.

A: Darker than expected. Orange, ruby grapefruit. Decent head retention.

S: At first when the beer was cold, there was not much aroma besides a faint piney and bready smell. As the beer warms, the aroma really opens up. Grapefruit, grass, pine, very light citrus and heavy malt.

T: I must say, the taste profile is odd, but somehow has won me over and made me a fan of this beer. Most IPAs, you get huge hop forwards backed by malt backbones. This IPA, opens up with a huge front of malt. Caramel, biscut, crystal. Next comes the hops. And they shine. Not much grapefruit on the taste as I expected from the nose, but the pine, citrus and grassy notes are wonderful and perfectly accentuated to balance the huge malt forwardness of the beer.

M: Pretty heavy and bitter for an AIPA. Not a bad thing.

O: This beer exceeded expectations. I will be trying other DC Brau offerings soon. Recommended. Would love them to put a born on/best by date though. Not sure how fresh this is. Seems fresh, but may not be as fresh as I think considering the huge malt forward.

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%

Big thanks to meyersj for this yummy beer.

Dark amber, quite clear, nice beige head that calms to partial cap and leaves beady lace on the glass.

Bitter, neutral sweet, hints of graininess, and grapefruit in a medium strength aroma.

Bitter herb heads a simple flavor profile that includes grapefruit, citrus rind, and some spicy alcohol, with pine notes coming in at the end. Dry and bitter for sure.

Medium body, low carb, highly viscous, clean finish that is very dry and lingers long.

Excellent beer showcasing my favorite bitter hop.

Surprised to see this sitting on the shelves in CT

A-Pours a dark amber color. Mostly clear in body. Thinner off-white lining of foam. Good lacing.

S-Aroma is very interesting. Resiny pine and candied citrus. There is a really zesty component to the nose here, hard to put my finger on it. It's almost a lemony/pine hybrid smell. Bready, caramel malt. Reminds me a but of juniper berries or gin.

T-The flavor is also interesting. Very grassy and piney. Earthy and a bit hempy. Also plenty of candied citrus. A full caramel and bready malt balance. Something about this beer is interesting. It's almost generic except for that unique hoppy flavor that pops up...maybe a bit of chive or green onion?

M-Balanced. Moderate carbonation. Medium to high bitterness. Pretty drinkable. Lightly resiny.

O/D-I generally like my IPAs to taste differently but this one has a certain element to it that I can't explain. It's frustrating to not be able to find the right words. I usually like a different hop profile and a less robust maltiness in IPAs but this one actually works quite well for me.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My first beer as soon as I arrived at the Brewery with a few friends. The staff was very friendly and Brandon, the owner, was interacting with most groups.

Poured an amberish red/copper color with a generous tan head. Looked inviting.

The smell is herbal with a big dank hit. I couldn't smell the alcohol. A bit of a malty caramel scent after the beer warmed. So far so good.

The taste was sweeter than expected. Grain and caramel gave way to pine and a bit of dry hoppiness. The bitterness strikes late which improves the overall taste.

Not terribly crisp but nice and dry with good carbonation.

Overall a solid northwest rendition of an IPA with the late bitterness the best part.

4.06/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz can. Pours a reddish brown color with over an inch of head. Good amount of lacing. The aroma is dank hops, pine, spicy hops, and caramel malts. The taste is more of the dank hops along with some pine. Caramel malts and bread. Bitter dank hops at the finish with some spicy hop notes. Lots of carbonation with a slightly oily mouthfeel. Not much of an alcohol presence. Overall, this is a really solid IPA I'll be buying again. Welcome to CT.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a standard pint glass: color is amber, opaque; head is light tan, about 1/4 inch thick and lingers pretty well, some light head lacing on the glass.

Smell is on the malty side of ipas, biscuit then caramel, not overly sweet; hops are piney, earthy, floral.

Taste is also on the malty side, though the hop presence is more prounonced than the aroma: malt is toast and biscuit then sweeter, caramel like; hops are bitter, piney, earthy, touch of grapefruit and lemon.

Mouthfeel is very good, nice lingering bitterness with the sweeter malt flavors; presence is balanced on tongue and cheeks.

Overall, a solid IPA, maybe touch on the sweeter, malty side but good hop backbone.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color; almost two inches of foam rise up to cap the liquid and leaves nice strands of lacing on the way down

Smell: Rich and dank, quite piney with a hint of caramel malt underneath

Taste: A touch of caramel at the outset, and while the malt lingers from start to finish, the piney hops take over and wallop the taste buds; pine, hop resins and a bit of pith build through the middle; reasonably balanced in the finish though, as expected, it leans to the hoppy side

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A very nice IPA that is packed with as much flavor as one often finds in a DIPA

Thanks, Dave_Treat, for the opportunity

4.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

nice dank ipa with soft mouth feel and plenty of pine aroma and a touch of cannibis defintly a rebuy. iwould put it in the top 25 ipas out there,buy some and expirence the goodness.plus it comes in a attractive green and silver can which will catch your eyes,glad to see it in the ct market,looking forward to try other offerings from them.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into tulip.

A: Pours amber-red with medium beige head.

S: Mainly citrus, some pine, and caramel.

T: Pine and grapefruit with strong lingering bitterness.

M: Medium body, a bit heavy on the carbonation.

O: Not a bad IPA, but nothing impressive either. It's just OK for me.

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Canned on 12-23-13 on bottom of can. Purchased at Market Street Wineshop (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Crisp appearing bright gold, clear elixir, with staunch white, ivory head with good retention and nice lace curtains down the glass.

S: A very dank, herbal aroma from the heavy Columbus hopping, a clean very light touch of crystal malt, and a firm pale malt with light cracker quality. No alcohol or yeast character.

T: The Columbus showcase continues with a big herbal, dank, resinous, ganja-like punch in the mouth, with a heavy bitterness through the middle and finish, and minimal crystal sweetness, with a crackery pale maltiness with a light grain note. It is a beer that would be hard to drink a lot of, as the herbal, dank, musky nature is a little fatiguing along with the strong bitterness and the lack of a more prominent malt presence. No alcohol or yeast notes are present. It is a unique beer, but really a one-at-a-time type of drinking experience.

M: A solid slick, medium-bodied feel with medium carbonation and an herbal aftertaste.

O: I am glad I tried this beer -- unique to have a big, dominating Columbus presence in an IPA. Just a little hard to drink in quantity due to the big bitterness and dank, herbal flavors without much malt flavor to play off of.

The Corruption from DC Brau Brewing Co.