The Stone Of Arbroath | DC Brau Brewing Co.

The Stone Of ArbroathThe Stone Of Arbroath

DC Brau Brewing Co.
District of Columbia, United States
dcbrau.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by drabmuh on 03-24-2012

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

On tap @ Meridian Pint (Washington, D.C.) on 5/4/12. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a deep dark ruby, topped with a ½ finger of rich mocha head. This maintains some robust foamy edges, leaving back a good bit of lacing which hangs down the sides of the glass in sticky swathes. The aroma smells of dark fruit, cocoa, and some smoky malt character. The smoked peat aspects of this gain some strength as this warms.

The taste is smoked malt, some darker nutty roasted character, and then sweet malt notes of cocoa and toffee. The dark fruit flavor here is VERY strong and is dominating the profile for me, even leaving back an almost cherry-like pithiness that lingers after each sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch fuller, with some sharpness on the tongue and then more of a firm creaminess that spreads out across the back. For 8% ABV, the alcohol isn’t really holding this back a whole lot and the overall drinkability of this for the size is probably my favorite aspect of this.

Yeah, I just couldn’t get into this one. The domination of that dark fruit character just kind of gives this a flat feel throughout the taste that left this lacking any real robustness or complexity. This drank well for the size but ultimately came off as fairly forgettable to me.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bottle poured into my DC Brau glass. Dark brown in color with a little mahogany tint to it in the light. A full, thick head fades into a thin sticky covering. Very nice lacing as I drank it.

The aroma has a rich, sweet maltiness to it with notes of dark fruits, cherry, caramel and a hint of roasted malts. The malty sweeter dark fruit, cherry like flavors are very good. They did a very good job showing off the sweet malts in the style without becoming overly sweet and sugary.

The taste shows a little more of the roasted malts to it with some noticeable coffee and milk chocolate notes in the finish. The sweeter dark fruits, cherry and caramel flavors are there as well. The roasted malts make it seem like it's leaning towards the porter spectrum to me, but I really like the balance the roasted malts seem to give it. I thought the flavors were excellent for the style.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, it was a very solid beer. It had more of a roasted malt character to it, which actually worked very well for it in my opinion and gave it some needed balance. So many versions of this style just feel overly sweet and sugary, which is why think this one stands out to me. Very good tasting and interesting version of the style. Although it's probably not brewed exactly to style, I thought it was one of the best scotch ales I remember having.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My (maternal) aunt & uncle live in DC and as such, I have been going down to visit them since I was just a lad. It is probably the North AmeriCAN city that I have visited the most, other than the ones in which I lived/was stationed. I especially like the area around DuPont Circle with its bookstores, liquor stores, eateries and bars. I scour the shelves for new CAN whenever I am in town & this was the fruit of one such visit.

From the CAN: "Limited Release Scotch Ale"; "About the Stone[:] For centuries the Drosten Stone has remained shrouded in mystery. Scholars CAN not agree on the ancient origin of the rock. The inscription 'Drosten: Ipeuoret [E]ttfor Cus' is just as much of an enigma as the stone itself. This beer as well, is such a conundrum. Please don't ponder its' [sic] existence as you would assuredly go insane. Just be happy it exists."; "Please recycle - Pack In, Pack Out."; "Serve in a tulip, goblet or enjoy from the CAN".

I CANnot enjoy my beers directly from the CAN, so I deCANted mine into a goblet, as directed. A gentle swirl raised a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & garnet highlights. Nose was rich with peaty malt & it was easy to identify as a Scotch Ale. I usually find things like this to be too malty for my taste, but I have been branching out as I work on reducing my backlog here at Chez Woody. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was earthy, peaty and reminded me of a freshly-plowed field in the spring. My maternal grandparents' property directly abutted a working farm when I was a kid & this was evocative of then. It really was not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. Certainly, it was clearly malt-driven and as it warmed, I began to taste notes of leather, milk chocolate & drying tobacco. It was a very pleasant drink, all tolled. If I were still able to smoke them (I suffer from adult-onset asthma), I would light a cigar to accompany this. The finish was semi-sweet, but just that. It was not cloying or sugary as some that I have tried have been. I CAN recommend this, if you get a chance to drink it.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber that is somewhat clear. Butterscotch, roasted and toasted Malta, like dark fruits, and caramel malts. Medium body and low carbonation.

Overall a nice scotch ale but nothing that stands out too much.

Guest draft at Right Proper. Murky dark brown body with russet highlights. Spotty beige filmy head. Aromas of ripe plums, dark raisins, a hint of chocolate. Chocolate covered raisins in the flavor tempered by a mild bitterness. Brown bread, toast, malty body. Good stuff.

3.71/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured on tap into a half pint glass/tumbler at Bier Baron DC.

A light caramel head that fades rather quickly, to simply give a nice collar on top of a classic walnut brown body. Beer looks pretty light for a Scotch Ale, there's some lacing while drinking, and some red hues. Fairly transparent.

Nose has a giant nut and roast. Dry malts with out a lot nutty tannic qualities. Seems more like a porter.

On taste a real light body hits with a great dark sweet caramel malt action, but also a bit of a wet palate. Afterfinish gives of a real nice roast character more in the sense of a charing light porter.

Overall it seems like a hybrid porter rich malt Scotish Ale tasting, almost charing mild like roast palate. It's really easy drinking for 8 abv as well you can hardly even tell. I'd have another easily, but it's quite different.

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malts, molasses, some smoke. Taste is smokey, bready, roasted malts, a touch of charcoal. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a good beer, but a bit different than expected from this style.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Beer served on draft that the brewery, this is the non-barrel fermented version of this. Beer is dark brown with a tan / off white head of small bubbles, nice lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is a little smoky / roasty, sweet, mild caramel, not as peaty as some but really nice.

Beer is medium in body and sweet with a nice mild bitterness from grain roast at the backend of the beer. An easy drinking well disguised 8% beer that I'd have a lot more of. Looking forward to the barrel fermented version. Nice job.

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

From 22oz bomber to CBS snifter on 5/12/12
*From notes

-- Muchos gracias, Juanny --

A: God I hate to say it, but this looks pretty terrible. It seems like this wasn't racked, or not enough. There's no separation of sediment. It's an ugly muddy and overly cloudy brown. A solid pour yields a one finger head that leads to a small collar and not a whole lot of lacing.

S: Lots of dark roast. And luckily it's not overly green. A firm backbone of malt reveals itself as it warms.

T: Chocolate malt, medium char, molasses, freshly bricked charcoal and of course plenty of dark roast. If I didn't know any better, I would have told you this was a Porter.

M: I'd like less bubbles and the viscosity of used motor oil, but that ain't happening. It's certainly not bad as it is, it's just a bit lighter in weight and rough around the edges.

O: Certainly not my favorite DC Brau brew. It's not brewed to style, yet I like how it's pushing the boundaries of what you'd consider a Scotch Ale or Wee Heavy. (Luke warmly) Recommended for those looking to spread their crafty little wings.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours clear, dark brown color with 1/4 inch head and low carbonation. Taste is milk chocolate, peat, and toasted malt. Heavy bodied, malty ale that hits all of what I expect in the style. I will be getting this again.

The Stone Of Arbroath from DC Brau Brewing Co.