Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Threadless IPA | Finch Beer Co.

Threadless IPAThreadless IPA
3.57/5
Good
Threadless IPAThreadless IPA

Finch Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
finchbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Our Threadless/Finch collaboration IPA is a balanced experience of both perceived hoppiness and true bitterness. It pours a darker amber color and finishes with a citrus flavor, and when combined, will require this to be the last IPA you ever drink! Well, maybe, we realize you will probably drink more, but the result of this recipe clearly evolves into a very balanced IPA. The grain bill on this big pale includes melanoidin and Victory malts. We hop it up before the boil starts with some Columbus first wort hopping, then add a bunch more for bittering.

Added by emerge077 on 06-22-2011

3.9

2.45/5  rDev -31.4%

Another entry into the already crowded shelves of the Twin Cities: already, there are great breweries like Weyerbacher that one seldom sees anymore...but that's a discussion for another time. Big 16 oz. can.

The pour is orange marmalade & it looks to be roughly the same consistency. Carbonation is tame. Nose goes straight to the oranges, tinged with citrus & a slow dose of malty sweetness. Mostly sugary oranges. Unsure.

Threadless wants to be a balanced IPA (sorry for the cuss word). Bitterness & orangey citrus flash through the palate like a lightning bolt & last approximately the same amount of time. Burly malts take over with a sweeping sweetness that tips quickly into an aspirin, medicinal tint (my wife called it 'metallic'). The aftertaste is unpleasant. And sticks around. Shared the can with my wife: "I won't miss this when it's gone." Eight ounces. Too much.

Not sure where this one went off the rails, but it's weirdly, nastily bitter & simultaneously too malty. I'm not sure I've ever had a beer like it, but I won't miss it when it's gone, either. My first Finch's beer is a disappointment. Not going to finish it.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

4.06/5  rDev +13.7%

16oz Tallboy can

A) Pours with a big head. Settles slowly. Copper colored, hazy body.
S) Quite aromatic. Peach. Hints of pine.
T) Earthy, woody malt profile. Hop bite from start to finish. Spruce.
M) Medium body. Creamy. Dry, tannic in the finish.
O) A tasty IPA. Glad I pop the top on this.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

This is a re-review. My original review and scores follow my new review. It's like I drank 2 different beers. Not sure if I should do a tie breaker.

New review:

A: slight haze; bronze in color; 1 finger off white head that receded slowly to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: pine, tropical fruit;

T: earthy for a moment, then herbal; through the finish; moderate to high bitterness at the end;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: nicely complex aroma and flavor with a blast of IPA bitterness to finish things off;

Original Review:

A: burnt orange color; hazy, with sediment suspended throughout; 1 finger sudsy white head that dissipated in a couple minutes; minimal lacing; (3.5)

S: somewhat light; some sweet malt along with dank, earthy aromas; not enjoyable; (2.5)

T: taste follows the nose; minimal bitterness that doesn't kick in until the finish; some spice present in the finish; (2.75)

M: a little thin; carbonation was little light; (2.5)

O: it seems from other reviews that this beer is somewhat inconsistent; my can was overfilled; when I opened it, beer spilled out (not foam); it was filled to the very top; that may have affected the carbonation; some reviews noted a high level of bitterness - my sample had almost none; because of the widely different reviews, I'll probably buy this again to see if I get a better result; however, if what I tasted is what the brewer was going for, this one is not for me; (2.75)

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Threadless IPA from Finch Beer Co.