Fascist Pig Ale | Finch Beer Co.

Fascist Pig AleFascist Pig Ale
Liked This Beer
3.68 w/ 432 Ratings
Fascist Pig AleFascist Pig Ale

Finch Beer Co.
Illinois, United States
finchbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

A deep red malt-forward ale brewed with plenty of caramel malts and a touch of rye. Brewed and dry-hopped with Palisade and Zythos hops.

Added by emerge077 on 07-11-2012

Liked:
3.68/5
Alströms:

3.49/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My gal-pal, Terry, has gotten remarried and moved to Shaler Township, which is where we stopped at the Giant Eagle on the way to her house. I was not aware that every Giant Eagle has a beer marketplace, but it seems like it. I was ecstatic to find this and Tennent's Export Lager in CANs and happily scooped up a four-pack of each to further The CANQuest (TM), which was my reason for being out there. I was the guest co-speaker/lecturer for the PGH Cultural Trust's monthly Beer School, run by Tony Knipling of Vecenie Distributing in Millvale and this month's Summer School focus was on CANs! What a hoot.

History time, boys and girls: If you CANnot appreciate the irony of a beer called "Fascist Pig" coming out of a Chicago brewery, then you are a) not old enough to remember or b) guilty of not paying attention to late-1960's US History in Mr Treier's class. The Chicago 7 referred to the local constabulary as such and got done for it. In the late-1990's, the Pittsburgh 7 was born when a group of us nearly got done for inciting a riot at a Pirates-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium. Good times.

Not only was this craft CAN brimful, but I got a little spritz when CANducting the Crack! A calming period was called for with the excited little piggy, but I am a patient man. The inverted Glug was perfect and I quickly had two foamy fingers of dense, deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a hazy reddish-amber. Nose really gave off notes of the caramel malts that they used. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very caramel-malt up front, followed by a light bitterness. Finish had more of a bite than on the tongue, but it was still malt-forward. I had one of this style recently that I liked a little more, but this was not bad. Thanks, little piggy, for coming home from market with me. You may have a place, albeit limited, in my cooler this summer.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in an Innis and Gunn cervoise.

Man, I was hoping for some sort of bacon-flavored beer here... Oh, well, here we go: It pours a hazy amber-rust topped by a half-finger of dirty cream foam. The nose comprises ruby red grapefruit zest, husky grains, very light cocoa powder, stiff toffee, and somewhat mild pine sap. The taste holds notes of grapefruit peel, caramel, sour onions (I'm not sure how I got there, either, but the more I think about it, the more it sounds very right), huskier-than-before grains, and a stiff bitterness that pervades every square inch of the finish. Every sip leads to a bit of a wince in my demeanor, but this feeling luckily passes fairly quickly. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta dry finish. Overall, a decent beer at its heights, but a not-so-good one at most points that matter (you know, the ones that touch the tongue). Not my thing here.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

Interesting color here. A deep maroon. It's a maroon brew, opaque and glowing like a deep cherry almost. Barely makes any head but finishes about two fingers tall, kind of creamy looking and faint tan in color, with pin head to peppble sized bubbles inside.

Fairly large heat off of this, but even a little large for eight percent. Big English sensing strong ale character to me, with a little bit of fruity ester. Some creamy caramel, and density it seems, but all sort of downplayed with the exception of the alcohol.

A real juicy but light palate. Strawberry, cherry red fruit angle, with a large piney resiny finish. Oily pine blast and quite coating. First sip brings a nice malty fruity sense, but the hops are really lasting on the finish. Woody.

Kind of liking these Imperial Amber Ale's I would say, but hard to classify, and I haven't found my ultimate one yet either.

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

16 oz can

Pours medium ambe, khaki cap that stays pretty well and leaves nice looking sheeting on the glass.

Malty nose with caramel and maple coming to mind

Malty brew, imperial red ale in my book. Malts and tasty caramel in control here. Smooth, easy drinking and dangerously tasty. Nice offering from Finch.

Would work just fine in a chicken/pork marinade

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I love how this beer looks off the pour. It exemplifies perfection; hence the score of 5. Flavor profile is a bit tangy and fruity. Aftertaste follows the same lines. Following taste really exemplifies a red ale to me. Been quite some time since I've had one like this really. It's a bit too fruity, if I'm going to be critical. That seems to work in favor of its drinkability though. An extremely pleasant ale.

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazed reddish copper with a thin, wispy head. Spotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of strong caramel, hint of rye, and some booze.

The taste is sweet - strong caramel. A touch of rye adds a slightly minty character to it. Some oily hops in the finish keep it from being sticky. It has a steely character to it. Alcohol shows. (For me, it's on top end of "3.5", so I pushed it up slightly.

The body is medium - a bit slick.

Overall, it's an interesting brew. Strong and sweet, but not cloying. It has a nice rye touch that isn't too strong. Pretty drinkable despite sweet, boozy character. Worthy beer if you are in a strong malty mood!

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a becher pint glass, the appearance was a nice looking semi-dark amber color with a sly transparency about it. Carbonation could be seen rising at a moderate pace to fill a finger's worth of white foamy head that slid off at a mild pace. Some sliding lace, somewhat messy.
The aroma blended some toast to pine to floral rye sweetness up front. After a bit of warming, some light spicy components came out from the rye which I liked and felt that was where it was at!
The flavor was moderately sweet but brought in the spicy, floral and bitter hints to roll in and around the blend. Some caramel malts present themselves in the taste. Aftertaste was the toast, spicy and sweet rye and a little bit of caramel malts.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a good sessionability about it. Carbonation felt appropriate. ABV felt appropriate. Nice rye spicy to caramel malty finish.
Overall, pretty nice as an amber ale and with the ABV where it is, this could be close to an American Strong ale, still, it's one that I'd come back to.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mlaty, a touch of fruits. Taste is malts, some hops, a mild bitterness, a touch of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

1.5/5  rDev -59.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

A-Dark ruby color with a tan head. Head subsides and leaves behind khaki impressions along the glass. Body is slightly hazy.

S-Not going to be hop-forward. Caramel for days. Light spice. Sweet bread and more caramel. Maltiness is not very enigmatic. Just a lot of caramel. Lightly bitter hop aroma attempts to hold up the malt's girth but I can tell its knees are about to buckle.

T-Malty. Caramel and molasses. Light rye note. Quite sweet. Then in the middle of the flavor comes a small parade of grapefruit and pine. But its quickly washed back out.

M-Fuller bodied. A bit sticky. Creamy. Moderate carbonation. The booze is hidden effectively. Still, due to the body, this one takes time.

O/D-A sweetness-stressed Amber. I will at least applaud them for not just making another violently hopped Amber that is essentially just another IPA. Yet, hoppy Ambers are some of my favorite beers. So in the end, I respect this malty brew, but there is no way I could like it as much as a highly-hopped take on this "catch-all" style.

Fascist Pig Ale from Finch Beer Co.
Beer rating: 55.1% out of 100 with 432 ratings