Dark Persuasion German Chocolate Ale | Icicle Brewing Company

Icicle Brewing Company
Washington, United States
iciclebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Delicate dark chocolate with a whisper of coconut... You know you want it, go ahead and indulge. You can finally have German Chocolate Cake and drink it too. There's no need to be nervous, it's just wickedly deep and full of flavor and desire. With its provocative aroma and smooth body, this is certainly the darkest of fifty shades of risqué.

ABV: 6.5% IBU: 22 OG: 17.4°P FG: 5.7°P

Added by Braz on 12-20-2012

Liked:
4.19/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable! And, in this case, you get what is advertised. It's a beer with "cake" in the name, so expect it to be a bit sweet, but also very smooth and rich and intriguing with the evident coconut. Great dessert beer.

L - Dark but with a ruddy brown tinge when held to light. Some lacing that lingered.
S - The coconut is evident on the nose, but there's also a richness of chocolate malt. Reminded me of the richness of a barrel-aged stout minus the bourbon/booze.
T - chocolate and coconut very evident. Quite sweet but also smooth an well-balanced.
F - super smooth. easy drinking as a dark beer without being overheavy.
O - I will absolutely seek out this beer again. I had never heard of it, and it was a smooth, sweet surprise. Obviously wouldn't be perfect for every occasion if you lack a sweet tooth or want hops ... but man it was a pleasant sipper with mellow booze and lots of flavor. Very balanced use of the coconut.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into 2 SN glasses, after allowing the bottle to warm for a few minutes on the counter. Date appears to be June 6, 2016.

Appearance: Dark brown body with a cola looking color along the edges. Root beer brown colored head that formed a thin cap on the top and left some nice islands on the glass.

Aroma: Cocoa, coconut and a slight caramel aroma. Not a whole lot going on to make you think it was German Chocolate Cake other than the strong cocoa aroma.

Taste: Holy sheet! It's definitely German Chocolate Cake in liquid form! Sweet chocolate, a hint of coconut, a little spiciness right after the swallow and just really fantastic tasting! So tasty it's hard not to chug it down! It's amazing the aftertaste is just like having had a bite of moist German Chocolate Cake!

Mouthfeel: A little thin, but I think if it was heavier it wouldn't taste the same at all. Like I said the lingering taste is great!

Overall: A huge THANK YOU! to @beertunes for this one! It's really a fantastic beer that I'm glad was in the box! A real treasure and if I lived in the PNW this would be in my fridge A LOT! A smooth drinking beer with a lower abv and full of flavor. If you get a chance to get your hands on this one, my suggestion would be...YOU DO IT!

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Color: Dark Persuasion is extremely dark and I almost thought of it as a stout for how dark it was.
Taste: I've had a lot of chocolate stouts but Dark Persuasion genuinely surprised me. I live on the East side of Washington State temporarily and have limited selection to craft beers. I decided to pick this up on my way home from work one night and was very surprised. The chocolate is rich and sweet and comes off in the smell too. It has a slight smoky-roast-ness to it and is light for the brewing style. I wouldn't want to drink a 6 pack of these but definitely 1 or 2 and a good movie on with some cheese makes my night.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this at the taproom in Leavenworth, December 2016. I thought it was delicious, picked up a few extra bottles to take home with me. Thought it was as rich and bold as I expected it be, and very delicious. Was definitely surprised by how good this one was, and will be looking out for their beers from here on out.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle, and I’ve totally forgotten where I picked it up at or what it cost. I’ve had it on hand for about 3-4 weeks. I love beer and I love German Chocolate Cake, so this has the potential to be a real win-win for me. No obvious bottled-on or best-by date.

Poured into a Jones Radiator Mug (R.I.P., Jones…), this was the color of …a German Chocolate Cake! Held up to light, it took on a faintly lighter shade of brown. Big, creamy tan colored head that took it’s sweet time dropping and left spotty, tan lace.

Sweet and toasty aroma to this, though a little restrained right out of the refridgerated bottle. Not as richly chocolaty as I would have expected out of something labeled as a “German Chocolate Cake Ale”, but there’s some cocoa-y sweetness to it. As it warms, coconut and almond flavors emerge, and the chocolate begins to stand out more. Yup, it smells like German Chocolate Cake.

The chocolate leads the charge, but it’s wearing a coconut coat. There’s some coffee notes as well. I’ll be damned if it doesn’t taste like German Chocolate Cake. Finishes with a milk chocolate flavor and is surprisingly clean for an ale that tastes like a dessert. I wouldn’t have been surprised to find out this was a lager, though it definitely says “Ale” on the bottle.

Creamy mouthfeel, with a less than totally full body. I find that surprising for how much of a dessert beer this is, but the body isn’t light enough for it to be a draw back.

Listed on BA as a porter, I suspect that’s because nobody knows where the hell else to put it. Whatever it is, it’s delicious. I will definitely have this again. And what’s this? I’ve never reviewed Bootjack? Jesus, Icicle, I don’t know what my problem is, but I will rectify it.

4.73/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look : Two finger white-brown head, black body. No surprises here.

Smell : Milk chocolate, coconut, very mild coffee, cake.

Taste : Dark chocolate, coconut, mild coffee, and a touch of mint.

Feel : Full bodied, low soft carbonation, slightly sweet, slightly dry finish.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle picked up in Ephrata, WA. Enjoying after a long day of travel in a hotel. Really hits the spot. Expecting a CDA, so the chocolaty sweetness was a nice surprise. Black body with instant beige foamy head, fades to nothing. Sweet chocolate aroma, taste also. Slick medium wright, just delicious through and through.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Good beer in small doses, I don't say this often but a little to rich and overly chocolatey.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle served in a tulip. Pours black with a shirt tan head that quickly dissipates. Taste is much as advertised, chocolate with coconut. The coconut is like, but detectable. A very good dessert beer.

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

3.92/5  rDev -6.4%

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yummy. Very enjoyable. Sweet, chocolate, with a hint of cocoanut.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%