Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) | Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)
4.29/5
Outstanding
Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

Style: Gueuze

Unfiltered version.

Added by marburg on 09-28-2002

#618

Ratings: 1,194 |  Reviews: 560

1.75/5  rDev -59.2%

1.96/5  rDev -54.3%

Lined up nine different gueuze the other night. Besides the abomination that was the Girardin white, I enjoyed this one the least.

From a 37,5cl corked and caged bottle into a mini snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium-thin looking, white head with good retention. Hazy gamboge orange with higher levels of carbonation. Head fades to a good foam cap and remains for the ride.

SMELL: Lots of mould and fungus on this one. Barnyard notes with hay and some skunky wet cardboard. Quite off putting. No real fruit esters or acidity; very musty and mouldy.

TASTE: Skunky wet cardboard, barnyard funk flavors, with lots of mouldy fungus in this one. Light vinegar after the swallow with sewage and more fungus. A light lemon sourness tries to punch through the sewer and mouldy basement, but fails. This is pretty disgusting.

PALATE: Medium body and lower levels of carbonation. Goes down a little watery and finishes dry on the palate. Slightly puckering finish.

OVERALL: This one was pretty rough going. Far too much sewage and mouldy, musty, dank dewllings on this one. Not my style of gueuze what-so-ever. Choked down three ounces and dumped the rest.

2.23/5  rDev -48%

Poured into a Tulip.

A - Looks like apple juice with ample carbonation and a half inch of white head.

S - Very Sour and lots of yeast funkiness.

T - EXTREMELY FN SOUR, make me pucker right away, the sourness is overwhelming and really don't get much else.

M - Light bodied, super carbonated and a bit slick.

D - This is all just one note, SOUR. Just overwhelming and not pleasant to drink for me. Maybe I am not a gueuze fan.

2.27/5  rDev -47.1%

A: Cloudy murky tannish brown. Absolutely no head, and barely a sound when I popped the cork. Slightly worried about that.

S: Very tart smell, hints of vinegar and strawberries.

T: Muted sourness, followed by more intense sourness and a bit of funk. Sour and slightly musty.

M: Completely Flat. Thinnish mouthfeel, and watery.

D: I think this bottle is not as the brewer intended to be seeing as how there is no carbonation, and previous reviews ( and the style) would suggest there should be much more.

2.35/5  rDev -45.2%

Either I got a bad bottle of this., or I am really swimming against the tide. I've enjoyed other lambics I've had, but this was terrible (maybe it's just the gueze style I don't like). This poured a champagne color with little head and some carbonation. Unfortunately, both the nose and taste were a rancid mixture of very sour apples and vinegar. Early on, I kept thinking maybe the sour would be followed by a sweet sensation, a la Flemish Sours, but instead, it just kept getting more sour and acidic. Ended up cleaning the drain.

2.39/5  rDev -44.3%

Upon buying this, I didn't know that this was a sour beer. As for sour beers...I still don't like them. Pours a very clear gold with relatively no haze. All the sediment settled in the bottom. Very tart, sort of dry, with a hint of cheese. On the palate, dry, tart and a little bit of currant. I wish that I had some food that you eat with wines to go along with this. This was not a good brewday beer. Not a good beer for me, but for people that enjoy lambic sours.

2.42/5  rDev -43.6%

2.43/5  rDev -43.4%

Green cork and caged 37.5 cl bottle, poured very carefully into my huge 'Judas' stemmed tulip glass.

Only a very small amount of sediment left the bottle, so the beer wasn't too cloudy or misty, a dirty old gold is the best colour discription I can come up with. An off-white head sat uneasily on top, looking like it wanted to be somewhere else. Masses of bubbles travelled upwards to join the unhappy foaming head.

Rotten cooking apples and pickling vinegar with a sour-puss smell. A cows farmyard that hasn't been hosed down for three weeks, even though the cows have used it twice daily to deliver calves.

Vingarous to a fault, this is one sour beer. Uncooked cooking apples mixed with cow dung came to mind. I've tried to embrace this style and have even enjoyed a couple over the years, but I really struggled with this one. I can truely see why this type of beer isn't drank in Belgium very often and the style is slowly dying.

I had to have olives, various cheeses and crackers to help me finish off this bottle. God knows what my arse will smell like tomorrow, my intestines were complaining after the second sip.

This reminded me of an old rough scrumpy style cider that a farmhand with a few loose marbles might try and drink to help his teeth rot and scramble his brain even more.

I have tried to score for the style, not my personnal view, otherwise it would have got a few minus numbers!

2.43/5  rDev -43.4%

My first and probably last of this style. Cute little bottle with a cork for $9.29 at Lone Hill Liqour.

Looks good enough. Golden orange. Sturdy head. Slow moving bubbles gives it a thick appearance.

Smells like lemon pledge, bleu cheese, and sweat socks. After they've been sweat in. I'm concerned. I do not like this smell at all.

Tastes like a chewable vitamin-c tablet. Strong obnoxious flavor. Acidic sting. This is flat out nasty. Chalky, dry.

I try to give every beer a fair chance by drinking a whole bottle but I am seriously challenged here. At 5% it wouldn't even give me a head change so there is little reason to suffer through this.

I guess it's an aquired taste (that I haven't aquired). I let it warm a bit and slowly sipped on it. The flavor becomes a little better but I can't forgive the smell. I can see how one would be drawn to this extremely tart flavor. I actually am going to finish the bottle, but damn, man, it smells like friggin feet!

Overall: only if it's your thing

2.46/5  rDev -42.7%

This brew pours a very envigorated large head of small bubbles that was mostly diminishing. Its body was a hazy light orange brown color. The aroma was very bubbly and fruity. It had a dry complex flavor and it was not much of a flavor I cared for. It fruity citrusy flavor was dry from start to finish.

2.61/5  rDev -39.2%

A- Looked like gueuze. Head stayed for a few seconds. Looked good.
S- Smelled like it would have been more sour than it was. Weird metallic flavor.
T- Disappointed by how sour it was. Tasted watered down.
M- Felt decent. Few bubbles.
D- I sampled this at the wine shop today and was disappointed. Doesn't compare to Drie Fonteinen, Hannsens, or Cantillon. If I had paid to drink this I would have regretted it.

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the first bottle we opened.

To be quit honest, this was not my cup of thee or should i say gueuze. I am not very fond on gueuze.

Poured in a tasting glass this beer looks likes piss (sorry!)

There is a strange smell that goes with this beer. I can't define it. Pretty sour taste, or better said much too sour. I am cured for a while!

2.85/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From Blind BIF #6, Bottle #6, a cork & caged 500ml just like bottle #5, Cork comes out with ease and a nice little pop. Poured into my Half acre Tulip

A pours a hazy golden, dirty straw color with a hint of orange when held up to the light. a finger of bright white head sticks to the side of the glass as it tapers down in the middle. 4

S Again, the moment the bottle opened I knew I was in for something tart and sour the smells of lemons, grass, zest, tangerines, charred oak and musk. 4

T lemons, green apples, black pepper and malt vinegar are all over my palate with the initial sip. This seems very one dimensional. Something is wrong here. The charred oak character is transferring over and is an undesirable characteristic. Getting rotten tomatoes and musk. The flavor is starting to remind of something I once smelled in a garbage can... yet I cant stop drinking it.. 3

M low carbonation but a nice astringency and dryness to this one. The mouthfeel is a little thin but not to bad 3

O I am mixed about this sour. I dont know if it is an unblended lambic gone wrong, a Gueuze from a brewery with an off year or just an attempt at an american wild ale gone awry. I feel like ive had this before and was not impressed. I want to pour out the last third but cant stop drinking.. 3.5

The Reveal: Gueuze Girardin 1882 Black Label. This is about spot on from the last time I had this beer. Thanks Alewatcher! I am glad to have tried this beer blind and it is neat that my assessment is about the same. This seems like one Micah helped provide intel on.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

From bottle into my C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden orange with a rather small, foamy, sticky white head that recedes really quickly. Rather large bubbles resulted from the pour. Decent retention formed a thick, sticky layer of lace.

S - Funky, earthy and tart barnyard aromas at the initial smell. I'm also picking up some apples and lemon and some orange. A touch of yeast and hay aroma also present.

T - Wow, thats sour! I mean really sour. Im mostly tasting sour green apple and lemon. Some sour barnyard funk present, as well as some hay, giving it a slight woodiness. This is a bit puckering to me.

M - Light body with little carbonation. Fairly drying finish.

D - This is a bit too sour for me. I enjoy sours, but this one is a bit too one-sided. Not very balanced in my opinion. The low ABV makes it drinkable, but i think i will finish this one and not need to buy another for a while.

3.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Too much vinegar in this for my liking.

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%