Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) | Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)
Liked This Beer
4.29 w/ 1,192 ratings
Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

4.29/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,192 |  Reviews: 560
4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of creamy head and enough haze to catch light.

Smell -- Horse stable, cider vinegar, fresh cut green apple, and lemon zest. Overall, tart/sweet with some wildness.

Tate -- Very sour, indeed with lots of acetic acid and sour cherry-like tartness. Also present are wet hay, stable funk, green apple, under-ripened green grape, salted lemon, dry grain, and a fair amount of woody flavor and tannin. A bit medicinal in the finish.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with ample carbonation; hard and prickly at first, then full and fluffy. Quite dry.

Drinkability -- This one is quite sour and very dry; a pleasant experience, but one glass is enough. While it certainly didn't fall short of my expectations I'm not sure if I'm willing to say it's the best gueuze I've had just yet. Absolutely worth trying and clearly a shining example of the style that cannot be missed.

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is lovely. Orange/peach hazed beer with a big, lacey head that fades back very quickly. Strong aromatics, of course -- orange, lactic acid, household cleaner -- maybe some grass. Intensely sour but lacking the lactic punch of Cantillon. A strong leafy bitterness mingles with the tartness. Dry as a bone. Lacks a little something.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

3rd Edit: I am pleading to all people who drink this beer as an introduction to gueuze, lambic, or sour beer in general: Please revisit it in the future. This beer is so perfect that it can't even be appreciated until the rest of the sour spectrum has been conquered. It is so flavorful yet delicate...walking a tightrope that is hard to appreciate without the experience. I have drank multiple bottles ranging from 1 to 3 to 5 years old and I love them all equally for their own reasons. A couple batches have been subpar (by subpar, I mean less than a 5.0 since that is my rating), but more often then not I reaffirm my love for this heavenly elixir every time I pop a new cork. Pair it with a few slices of Dubliner cheese and prepare to enter a state of euphoria.

2nd Edit: Had a 2005 vintage tonight and thought it was one of the best bottles I have had. Definitely a 5.0

1st Edit: After much contemplation I have come to the conclusion that giving this beer any less than a perfect 5 rating is not doing it justice. Each time I have drank this beer I have bumped my score up, and I think I was fooling myself by not giving it a 5 in the first place. It was only my third gueuze I had ever tried, so I'm not sure I "got it" right away. But I definitely get it now.

On any given night and from vintage to vintage, Cantillon Classic Gueuze and Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze join Girardin as beers that I might call the single best in the world. But among the three, the one I find myself yearning for most is this. The beautiful black label. The flawless beer.

Below is my original review text

---

Pours a nice copper/orange with a large fluffy head that leaves a wall of lacing.

The aroma is basically a blueprint of how a nice gueuze should smell. Mildly tart lemon and orange on top of a blanket of cobweb and funk that is inviting rather than intimidating. There is no mistaking what is in front of you here.

The taste is surprisingly light on the tartness and funk and heavy on the juicy citrus flavor. Wow, this is not what I thought I would be drinking when I popped the cork and I have to say it is actually a pleasant surprise. As a matter of fact, it is more than pleasant...it is divine. Absolutely rich and well balanced and complex as hell. Oak, lemon, orange peel, band aid, horseblanket, cheese, pepper, grass, grapes, it goes on and on.

This has one of the fullest feeling bodies of any sour I can remember. Carbonation is at high levels but it is soft which is a huge plus.

1882 Black Label is quite simply a spectacular, world class beer. Buy it, drink it, go to bed happy.

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%

A most famous gueuze! At last I get around to reviewing this.

A. Pale gold, hazy, sediment bits, tiny white head that goes nowhere.

S. Pungent and tart as heckfire! Funky funk funk, leather, only the finest sweaty gym socks, vinegar, simply out of control! This is possibly the most pungent, abrasively acidic beer I've smelled. Almost too intense.

T. Tart. Puckering green sour apple, salty sea-brine, vinegar, shocking. Manages to be tart and gives the sensation of acidity without being undrinkable. It's ragingly sour and memorable. Perhaps a bit over the top, but I'm glad this exists.

M. Dry, citric finish that is a lot less sour than you'd expect after all the rest. Pleasing as a palate refresher.

D. Low, but exceptional all the same. A few ounces of Girardin will wake your tastebuds up. A great choice to break out in the middle of a heavy beer tasting to shock palates into overdrive.

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

amber/orange color with a slight hint of carbonation, showing almost no head whatsoever. fruity, funky and dry aroma. the taste is sour and mouthwatering, with a zingy mouthfeel. very crisp and refreshing. overall, solid gueuze, we did this on a gueuze tasting night and this one came out on top.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very impressed by this. It's a 2015 bottle so still quite young.

Pours a nice orange with good, persistent head and lacing.

Nose has a lot to it. It's almost like a collective of the standout qualities of many other gueuzes. I get the raw kind of oaky 3F funk but combined with a sort of unwashed feet, truffle and soft rind cheese quality. Later on I get Tilquin rockmelon and the firestick/firework quality of an Oude Beersel. Just a whole lot to this beer, particularly in light of its youth.

Taste is a well-rounded oaky sourness but also has a fair amount of both sweetness and bitterness. When I first tasted it I was surprised at how sweet it was, even outdoing the Marriage Parfait gueuzes which I usually find a little sweet due to the higher ABV. But over time the sweetness seems more tempered and is more balanced amongst the bitterness and sourness. Palate does finish sour with a little bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is that oak, that sourness, that cheese and minerals, and more oak and cheese.

Really good gueuze, I think it would be my pick of the readily available gueuzes I've tried thus far as it's banging and substantially complex even without a lot of age on it.

4.81/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Hazy gold. It's all been said here before, but this gueuze looks like a clear mid-summer sky just before sunset. Beautiful bright white head.

Smell: The best part of walking into a working barn- hay, dusty overalls, and livestock not worried about the winter.

Taste: Like drinking lemonade in the barn.

Feel: Sticks just a bit, but this is a beer you and your mouth must contemplate. Carbonation keeps everything lively.

Overall: The definition of the style. Available, relatively affordable, cellar-ready, and a joy to drink.

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Releases a mighty pop when the cork is removed. Pours with a thick, gassy head and a body that is murky and orange-amber. The nose is powerful with a musty funk. It's almost like dry mildew. There's also a citrusy, sour element. Upon tasting, the first thing to hit is that citrusy sourness. That's quickly followed up by an acrid barnyard bitterness. The finish is dry, long, and incredibly bitter.

This is a huge beer. Not exactly my cup of tea, but definitely something that I can appreciate for its flavors and complexity.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This had a cloudy amber orangish body with TONS of head. The aroma was very tart and had the classic gueuze smell. The flavor was even more sour than the aroma and made the glands in my neck tingle. Probably one of the best gueuzes in terms of the sourness. It reminded me slightly of La Terroir in sourness level. Light bodied with very good drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Review 150!!! yay for me (not to sound odd or anything).

2010 Vintage poured into a Hoegaarden hexagonal glass (thats as close as i have to a Gueuze glass)

I would love to do this thing order, but I cant get over the smell. It like punches you in the face. Sour apples and fruit rind are competing with barnyard funk and sourness. I cant call a winner (except for me). It poured darked than the average gueuze, body and head-which was a little more toward cream colored. Bubbly carbonation.

Im kind of scared to try it. It smells so sour and so funky. I taste apple cider vinegar and more apple cider with apple skins and tannin. Not overly complex, but not simplistic. Dry malts mingle around in the shadows. The sourness completely takes over your mouth for an instant filling it a funky sour feeling. The difference between Girardin and Cantillon is that Girardin doesnt leave many flavors behind. Cantillon's gueuze left a dry tannin white grapey feeling for a long time. Girardin comes with a full frontal assault of vinegar and funk, then subsides into the shadows of your mouth. Very dry feeling from the malt as well.

I can see where they were aiming, and they hit it. They went for straight barnyard funk and sour apple vinegar. It could improve with a little bit more lasting flavors and a touch of cirtic tartness. But i nit pick. One hell of a beer and a good replacement if Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen isnt around.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.12/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Brenson for hooking this up! 2011 vintage:

Pours kind of a cinnamon gold, stuffed with needlepoint beading and capped with an impressive dose of paper white carbonation that leaves behind milky but short-lived sheets of lacing around the glass.

Sour apples, pear skins, some old oak layered with a pungent white grape character. More funky than sour. Pretty mellow in this regard but damn smooth for a gueuze.

Lots of that dry fruit skin with that white grape tart punch. What a great daytime beer - drinks like a dry cider. The acidity comes mid palate but fades quickly leaving you with this great tame fruit flavor.

Very tasty indeed. A bit pricey even for a gueuze but it's worth a try.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corked/caged 375ml bottle.
5% abv

Received from IBUnit63 in trade, thanks again man!

Pours a relatively clear golden-orange..thin, fizzy head sits on top.

Barnyard funkiness that comes with the territory of a serious Belgian gueuze..mixed with an approachable sour citrus, light smoke, green apple, black peppercorn & cherry.
While the tartness is nothing short of mouth-puckering, the mouthfeel is amazingly soft..no harshness here.
Thoroughly enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Surprisingly dark golden yellow pour, moderately hazy, almost orangey. Amazingly balanced aroma. Huge sweet malt kiss complements the character loaded brettanomyces that come out horsey, cheesy and sweaty. Funky and clean at the same time, but above all elegant and farmy. Apparently sweet which have me anticipating a dessert gueuze. Notes of vanilla, cask wood, sand, earth. Indeed very sweet for a gueuze, this is not really what I was anticipating, but I can appreciate greatness when I taste it and this is just as good as Cuvée René with incredible nostalgic character. Pie crust and bread. Not very acid at all, just a balancing tartness. Honeyed maltiness gets overwhelmed by wood juice, powdery glue-like flavors. I don’t really feels the taste was as good as the incredible aroma, but it does grow on me as it warms. It just has this terrific sandy dry-out effect that asks to be let on the table taking some air and breathing like fine wines. Gentle astringency, fitting low carbonation. Medium-full bodied and smooth on the tongue. One of the best in its kind and worthy of every bit of praise it gathers. Complex beyond imagination all while being insanely drinkable. Thanks again Per. <br> A further sampling confirms to me that the real girardin gueuze outclasses cuvée rené by a fair margin as my favorite gueuze. Highly drinkable yet very assertive. It just does everything as I want it and for now stands as the best I’ve had, though some of those rare drie fonteinen look like they could stand up to its level.

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a light yellowish orange color with a nice sised white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a great lacing.

This beer smells lemony citrus like. It has a slightly sour aroma. I can also smell some earthy yeast, and Belgian funk. It also has a slightly grainy aroma.

The taste is exactly like the aroma. Sour, but only mildly so. Citrus fruit. It has an earthy yeast flavor. Also, I taste some grain.

This beer is refreshing. It leaves a sour aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer might make a good session beer. The sourness might become cloying after a time.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. I like the sour flavor and aroma quite a bit.

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin