Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) | Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

Style: Gueuze

Unfiltered version.

Added by marburg on 09-28-2002

Ratings: 1,187 |  Reviews: 559
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

11.2oz bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip.

Girardin Gueuze pops out with a straw yellow look with some slight faded bronze in color. A stealth pour yeilded a small white cap, eventually nothing, no lace. Im liking the nose on this, smelling like a typical gueuze but more well rounded. Not so much dank basement, more of a mix between musk, hay and some fruit. Taste blew me away, first sips were marvelous. A nice hit of sour apple, with some barnyard notes, lime, and some earthy hops in the fresh bottle. Quite sour on the tounge and swishing it around makes for best results. The sour stays a bit than fades, the feel is light bodied and the carb is spritzy. I like this Gueuze, a winner in my eyes.

Thanks awalk1227!

A: Hazy golden straw color. Passive and calm head, surprised at that. I was able to get a one finger of white foam out of this one. I noticed some funky brown build up in the bottle, right under the cork area, floaties in the glass too.

S: Initial lactic note melds into sour or tart fruit. Bretty funk as well.

T: Tart lemon juice up front, I love that initial shock. Nice and acidic. The flavor rolls into other sour fruits and some nice musty/funkiness. Dry finish, ready for more.

M: The appearance of this beer led me to beleive the carbonation would be a little low, but it turned out fine. Everything was on the mark.

D: A well balanced sour @ only 5%. Refreshing, easy to drink.

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

375ml bottle (2011 I believe) poured into a balloon snifter

A: Pours a bright golden yellow, somewhat hazy, about a 1 inch bubbly head that quickly dissipates.

S: Sour apples, a little funk, lemon, a little vinegar.

T: The first thing that strikes me is the balance. There's a bit of sweetness (mainly candy sugar) and the sourness is quite manageable. The apples and lemon cut through to the forefront with the funky and light malt backbone holding everything together. There's some apple cider vinegar in there a bit in the background and towards the end. The oak comes through in the background with the funk and helps smooth everything out. The finish is a little bitter and puckering. While this is quite tasty, it is just a bit too vinegary for me and I was expecting a bit more complexity.

M: Fairly effervescent, though the carbonation does seem to fade fairly quickly. Very crisp and dry with a little puckering (no where near other sours I've had). The body is light, but it coats the mouth well and is surprisingly smooth. I wasn't expecting this to be this smooth and refreshing.

D: I can't imagine a traditional sour being any easier to drink. Normally "refreshing" isn't a term I'd use to describe a sour, but this actually was surprisingly refreshing. Overall this is a really good beer, but I don't think it's good enough to purchase at the current price point.

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

A-hazy yellow with floaties though out
S-almost like a cherry Champaign. Very crisp smelling which is a first for me...
T-nice and fruity. Very crisp and smooth. Not much of an aftertaste really. The taste kind of just ends.
M-crisp smooth and light body.
D-very drinkable.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed from sour tasting notes

A. Pours orange with a small white head.

S. Apple, oak, slight tartness, lemon, bright citrus fruits.

T. Continues in the same vein as the aroma with some nice tartness.

M. Thin with a low level of carbonation.

D. Delicious - "I'd put this on par with supplication" (a reminder to myself about how good it was - not a note on similarity, which I managed to forget since the sour tasting) I do recall this doing surprisingly well at the tasting

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a St. Louis Gueuze tulip.

Pours a hazy orange with a big spritzy white head that drops fairly quickly. No lasting lace.

Aromas of lactic sourness, barnyard funk, lemon zest. This smells like my cheeks are going to cave in when I take a sip. Let's see.

Flavors of a bracing sourness, but not as harsh as I was expecting. Lactic sourness, citrus zest. Straight forward belgian gueuze lambic.

Mouthfeel is dry, light, with a mouthcoating, but restrained sourness.

Very drinkable. Would prefer this in the summertime. Good thirst quencher. Love me some sours.

If you like sour beer, and have never tried a Gueuze (pronounced gooze), do not hesitate any longer! Gueuze is a type of Belgian Lambic beer that is made by blending young and old lambics into a new beer, which is then bottled for a second fermentation. Additionally, because of the aged hops, and the wild yeast that are used in the original lambics, the resulting Gueuze is completely unique, and bears little resemblance to most other styles of beer. The taste is often described as sour and barnyard-like.

Girardin Gueuze is made at the Brouwerij Girardin, a farm brewery in the Senne Valley of Belgium. Girardin began in 1845, and is now the largest of the authentic lambic brewers and gueuze blenders left in the valley. At the brewery, they grow their own wheat, and still have a mill that uses stones to grind their grain. They brew Lambic in the winter, and Pils in the summer. Girardin Gueuze is thought by many to be the best traditonal Gueuze there is. I would agree.

Girardin Gueuze pours a hazy, glowing peach color with a light, Champagne style head that fades quickly. The smell is sharp and super-funky, yet clean. It reminds me of wet straw, and cider, it is very rural. This is by far one of the most interesting flavors that I have ever experienced. Tart and sour hit you right up front, but the elegance and balance keep the gueuze really smooth and drinkable. It tastes like green apples, green grapes, earth, the unfiltered yeast, citric fruits, and those peppery edible flowers. It is incredibly refined. The mouthfeel is a little thick and creamy, which is nicely complimented by the Champagne-like bubbles. The finish is still sour, dry, and a little bitter. It leaves you wanting so much more! I want to get on a plane, move to the Senne Valley, and make Girardin Gueuze for the rest of my life. Then, I really could drink this beer all day, everyday. It would never bore me.

You may not think so, but this is an awesome beer for food pairing. Particular dishes can really bring out a whole other side to the Gueuze, and vise-versa. Try it with caprese for instance. The creaminess and milky flavor of the fresh mozzarella will play well with the acidity and sour tang of the beer. Also, the tomatoes and basil share similar flavors with the beer. Mussels and fries, grilled vegetables, and richly sauced cuts of meat will be nice pairings too. As for cheese, try Girardin Gueuze with Delice de Bourgogne. This is a triple-cream cow's milk cheese from the Burgundy region of France. The creaminess will go well with the sour acidity of the beer, much like how an acidic wine can cut through the fat of a creamy cheese.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

12.7 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 5% ABV, "Store laying down and serve between 50-58°. Beer under pressure, handle and open carefully."

Here we go, another night of glory presented by the ever-generous Beerwolf77. Frickin' guy...

A - Very lightly hazy golden yellow topped by a low white head. With all the acidity I smell I'm not surprised there's no retention. Light lace is left speckled on the glass.

S - Light at first, a swirl unleashes a whirlwind of funk upon the olfactory senses. Sweaty gym socks and lactic sourness like crazy. The sad thing is, that's a turn-on in this situation.

T - Tart, light citrus behind a big funk and sourness. Great barnyard notes and wild yeast. Delicious.

M - Weak carbonation is a bit unfortunate but it's still got a great wild, sour finish. Tart and lactic with some dryness pulling through.

D - It's a nicely drinkable sour beer with a good flavor but the carbonation is a little low for this style I feel. Otherwise a very nice Gueuze.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

375 ml green corked and caged bottle. 2011 vintage.

It pours a clear honey color, darker than most Gueuzes I have seen. The head is foamy and white and actually sticks around for a bit.

The smell is initially skunky. This is extremely odd because I have never smelled a skunky gueuze and it is an extremely fresh bottle. Once that dissipates it smells like young gueuze which it probably is with 2011 on the cork. It has fruity aromas in place of the funk and only a mild lemon acidity. The grain can also be picked up.

The flavor is also very mild, but delicious. It has a very nice sourness to it but also a bit of malt balance. The flavor has some herbal notes but is primarily lemony and acidic with a hint of sugar.

It is an interesting one. I have an older vintage in the cellar which i will give a long age and then try this one again.

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

A-Pours a clear, pear juice color with two fingers of white meringue-like head and fine, champagne-like carbonation.

S-Smells of lemon and lime citrus with a some musty funk and soil on the finish.

T-Citrusy bitterness at first with some light funk and finishes bitter.

M-Very light bodied and highly carbonated with a prickly feel.

D-Very pleasing and highly drinkable compared to my other experience with Gueuze. I was not expecting the level of bitterness though, but it's not a negative characteristic.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Shane (beachbum1975) for including this in the box. I've been looking for this for some time. 2010 on the cork - my first gueuze

bright white foam tops off a golden body. the first pour is almost completely see-through, displaying a lively and effervescent beer. minimal lacing.

sour and acidic nose with tart lemons dominating the fruit notes. mild "funk"

Very crisp. Sour, but at a relatively moderate level. tart as well with an mildly acidic and dry finish. Fruit notes come through - lemons, white grapes perhaps. mild "funk" as in the nose

mouthfeel is spot on. carbonation level adds to crisp-ness and keeps you wanting more

for me, the drinkability is off the charts. I highly reccomend this beer for both Gueuze fans and newcomers to the style. easily one of my new favorites

3.84/5  rDev -10.5%

2007 375ml bottle. Poured into pint glass.

A- brilliant golden with a huge ivory head that will not go down. Spotty lacing.

S- Heavy does of wet hay and funk. Potent.

T- Light, citric burst, lemony and delicious. A bit of funk, not too much though. Crisp and light, carbonation helps scrub the tongue and leaves me wanting to take another sip.

M- Great tart and sour flavors, not much funk but that's OK. Great carbonation, light and refreshing.

D- Moderately high. This is a very tasty gueuze. Very lemony.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

375ml bottled poured into a Captain Lawrence tulip.

A: Pours a yellow to golden color with stunning clarity. It leaves a two finger head with moderate retention and a great deal of lacing. The effervescence is visible as tiny bubbles rush through the body off the beer to the surface.

S: The lactic sour notes step forward and expand into tart apples, pears and lemon rind. The brett is unmistakable, a musty blanket in a bale of hay followed by a whiff of toasty wheat. There is a hint of oak but it is quite subdued.

T: It is sublimely tart and funky without being overbearing in any way. The flavors of the apple and pear are distinctly pronounced as the beer comes off so dry it almost seems salty. Even after the finish the funky brett filled fruit flavors carry on and on. Exquisite.

M: Champagne like in its bubbly light mouthfeel.

D: I love Gueuzes and this fine beverage measures up to the style in magnificent fashion. Cheers.

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

375mL Bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with some pure white foam that settles into a nice ring. The smell is not particularly strong and is definitely focused more on the musty, chalky, minerally, funky, at times cheesy aspects as opposed to straight in your face acidity. Slight amounts of green apple and lemon poking through but not fruit forward. The taste brings more tartness into the profile while maintaining a really good funky mustiness. Definite mineral component reminiscent of wet stone. Light acedic acid, definitely not overpowering, more cider like. Has almost a yeasty taste that I associate with saisons. Mild underripe green fruitiness that's slightly bitter, almost a stem-like or peel quality instead of a fleshy burst of flavor. Mouthfeel is a little flat for me but this beer is insanely drinkable, I could drink liters of it. Very refreshing and complex enough to keep it interesting but not overpoweringly sour. This bottle went quite quickly.

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. The head is big and foamy white. The color is a dull golden, very hazy and lots of carbonation rising to the top. Lacing is strong. The aroma is fruity, grassy, and old back of the closet dust. The taste is tart throughout. Hits the back of the tongue and makes you tweek a bit. Fresh yogurt comes to mind. Not as tart as some Cantillons I have had but strong. The body is light, but with heavy carbonation it made me feel fuller. A great example to enjoy a bottle at a time.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

2010 vintage. 375ml. bottle gently poured into a Rodenbach flute.

A - Pours a hazy golden-orange with a 1-inch white head that dissipates to a thin ring and slight haze. Visibly effervescent carbonation. Very pretty Gueuze.
S - Aromas of sour green apples, lemon zest, unripe pears, Brett, and dusty "funk". There's a slight whiff of oak present as well.
T - When I was a kid, my grandfather would pick apples for us from this gnarly old apple tree that must have been on the farm for ages. That's what this flavor reminds me of : tart apples, freshly picked from an ancient tree. Notes of lemon juice, oak, white grapes, hay, and Brett are present as well. Nicely balanced level of sourness, right where I like it to be.
M - Clean and crisp, with a medium-low body and sharp, snappy carbonation. Wonderfully vinous finish, really puckers and drys out the palate.
D - Excellent drinkablity, this is right in my comfort zone. An exceptional Gueuze, I'll continue to seek this out whenever I can.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

BX2011 on the cork, I'm assuming this is a relatively young bottle.

Pours an almost clear golden, with a small persistent head. Bubbles continuously flowing up from the bottom of the tulip glass, nice looking beer. Smell is full of dusty funk, brett, and tartness. Taste is very bright and citrusy. Lemons and sour apples. A good amount of lactic sour, without a lot of acetic character. Excellent lambic. Mouthfeel is lively, slightly puckering, and finishes dry. Taking style into account on drinkability, this one goes down pretty easy. It's sour, but not ripping my mouth apart, so I could drink it easily. But a lambic of this quality should be enjoyed over a good amount of time. Overall, an excellent gueuze that is easy to get a hold of.

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This Gueuze poured into a Tulip glass a bright semi cloudy yellow. It had a nice fluffy two inch head that floated lovely atop.

Nice nose of sour apples and a bit of lemon.
Musty barn comes through right past the sourness.

WOW!!! I had this beer once before and considered it my favorite out of all the others I've tried so far. But the flavors in this are unbelievable. Just the right amount of sourness along with a really funky almost cheese like(reminiscent of salt and all) complexity. Notes of really old barrel come through in mid sip and offer a bit more of a tanny flavor.

This beer is really creamy. Great amount of carbonation. I think I need to go buy some mussels and fries.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

a: clear golden body with large brett fluff on pour that dissipated but good head retention.

s: sour and sweet lemon funk; belgian yeast.

t:great tartness and sourness resembling lemon and grannysmith apples and a slight hint of oak.

m:nice smooth medium body mouthfeel. finishes dry.

d:a sipper for me. actually took me quite a while (though it never became a chore).

certainly one of the best gueze still being produced.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter.

Pours the golden color of mature wheat fields. Head is minimal and white, and tiny bubbles rise through the body. The body is nearly perfectly clear, but a small haze keeps this looking traditional. I let the bottle stand upright for two weeks before pouring it.

As soon as the cork was free of the bottle I could smell this beer. All words are failing me to describe this aroma... it has elements of yeast, very slight funk, a wonderful tart/sour smell, something like sourdough and cracked wheat. So wonderful, I can't wait to take a sip of this. It smells 'golden'.

This is an example of true complexity in a beverage. Such a melding of flavors, so integrated that I hardly know how to dissect it with descriptions. Palate-liftingly dry, yet with a touch of sweetness at just the right moments. Sour, yet not puckeringly so. A bit acidic, but not biting. From the Brett I taste tangy fruit and a little barnyard. From the wheat I am comforted with a grainy toasty maltiness. From the yeast I get additional complexity and some nice spicy bite. I am assuming that some or all of this beer was in contact with wood for periods of time, and I feel some tannins and taste some wood, and maybe even a touch of vanilla. I can't give this section a '5' because I don't understand the style fully enough to say whether or not this flavor could be improved in any way, but I suspect that it could somehow.

The mouthfeel is dry and complimented by clean sour tang. Carbonation is on the higher side and is just soul lifting. Drinkability is off the charts, I would drink this every day if I could. Heck, most any time I am drinking most anything else I would trade it for an equal amount of this beer...

Conclusion: I think this is one of the best beers I have tasted. Truly exceptional in almost every way. What an interesting style of beer this is, I feel you could drink it for years and still not fully comprehend the flavors and aromas- something that cannot be said for most American styles of beer. It is one of my goals as a home brewer to brew something that is akin to this style.

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%

cork says 2011, not sure what that means.

pours hazy golden with a hint of dull brown. next to zero head. not much pop from the cork.

lots of deep funk and sour lemon with a subtle skunky scent to it. a hint of dry oak. im really digging the smell.

bit of sweet light lemon up front. quite smooth. sourness kicks in, although that too is a bit smooth. dry oak and funk through out the finish with a slightly more sour flavor.

very smooth and mellow, almost non blended lambic like. very tame carbonation.

this was good, great flavor. i cannot wait to see what my other bottle does with some time on it.

Reviewed from notes 1/31/02011

A: very sour, slight hint of apples or pears

Ap: yellow-orange with a 1 finger white head that dissipated very quickly, leaving a thin white frothy layer, no lacing

B/T: very mild carbonation, smooth, dry, crisp

Af: sour, but sweet at the same time, pears

O: a slow sipper primarily due to the sourness, but very well-balanced.

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

I managed to crack 3 of these over the weekend including a bottle from 05. So I decided I needed to drink one more to give this a proper review.

2010 Vintage.

A: Golden orange/yellow, tiny bit of white head forms and fades quick. Some soapy lace. Pretty much right where every guezue comes in.

S: Wonderful bouquet of tart lemons, wet straw, grass, dusty attic wood, damp basement, horse blanket, old library books. This is the new standard from which all guezues will be judge by my nose.

T: The tart lemon bite is the first thing I get. Yet it's not an overpowering sour. The lactic sour drys your mouth and makes you teeth gritty but doesn't overwhelm you. There are so many different things I pick out. Sour grapes, wet straw, dusty attic wood, band aid, fresh grass clippings, green apples, mildew. The flavor is amazing.

M: Light yet satisfying body. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

D: Well this is as drinkable as it gets for my money. Wonderful in every category. If I had ready access to this beer I would swear off all other beers and drink this exclusively.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed from notes...
375 ml cork and caged bottle, pretty sure from 2010, into a Lindeman's Lambic glass...

A - Pours an almost completely clear golden orange color. Even with a pretty rough pour, no real head forms. A nice eggshell white collar and top form with some nice yeasty spots noticeable.

S - Nice dry, musty, funky, barnyard smell. Some lemon zest and orange zest as well. Apple and pear seem to come out as well. Some nice slightloy vinous notes as well.

T - Sour apples, pears and peaches. Really nicely balanced between the sweetness and the sourness. Funky, musty dryness to the profile really brings this one together. Nice acidic sourness.

M - Very nicely carbonated. Crisp, dry and very smooth. Not overly sour or funky, but balanced quite nicely.

D - Really great example of what a gueuze should be. Seems like it would be a great introduction to the style fr anyone just getting into sour ales. Will seek this one out again to see what some age does to it.

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin