Hell Hound Brown | Cosmic Brewery

Reviews by ferrari29:
3.28/5  rDev -0.9%

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

4.92/5  rDev +48.6%

I love this beer! First off it has a great color to it. Not too light and not dark like a stout. It had a roasty nose to it. The first taste was malty and chocolaty with a slight roasted quality. This is what I had tried at the LA Beerfest. The finish was excellent and did not stay with me like other brown ales that linger too long. I was missing the flavor from the first sip so I had to take a few more. I tasted no infection or off flavor as some others have noted. A well rounded brown all that is always at the top of my list.

I am adding something here months after tasting this beer because even though it is frowned upon on this site other users still seem to do so. It has been remarked that I have only reviewed this beer on this site. This is because I went to a festival in LA and this was the best beer there and I loved it and asked what I could do and they said if I liked it then go online and review it, which I did. This is not something I do regularly but I think this beer and the others that this brewery makes are great and I want to see a great brewery in LA which we are still waiting for. Show me a better brown ale out there, I haven't found it, so for now my review stays the same!

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

3.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Hell Hound Brown pours darkish brown, almost like a root beer, but with a two fingered white head that sits and stays for awhile. Despite the name, it offers only a mild smell. The beer's initial taste is hoppy, with cigar-type flavoring. As it lingers on the mouth, though, I'm getting thin cocoa and leather, and then a switch to coffee, before the ultra-long finish, which is almost porter-like. Hell Hound is highly carbonated, in fact jarringly so, as the bubbles fight with the taste. Not my fave.

1.89/5  rDev -42.9%

A - Nothing special, head dissapates quick, seems to be in style range.

S - Green Apple and some maltiness. No Hops. Not good.

T - Where are the hops? Where is the sweetness? Tastes like there is no caramel malt in here. Not to my liking.

M - Way too think and under carbonated.

O - Finnished the 6 oz of the bomber I split with my roommate, but we had a good laugh about it. The rest got dumped.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%

poured into an english pint glass

a: dark dark brown (almost black) with a hint of dark ruby red. large tan head that disappeared quickly

s: caramel, toasted malts, nutty, hint of bittersweet chocolate

t: smooth caramel, toffee, very faint toasty malts, slightly nutty. maybe slightly grainy.

m: light, creamy, smooth

o: not much going on here. doesn't taste bad, but there not a whole lot to judge. for a basic brown ale its alright

2.32/5  rDev -29.9%

A: The beer pours brown in color with a small off-white head.

S: What a horrible nose. Butter and green apple smack you in the face right away and keep on doing so every time you smell it. Perfumey and floral hops with a bit of roast, toasted malt, and booze.

T: The flavor isn’t any better. Roasted malt and char with lots of butter and green apple. Some more of that perfumey quality is present and a mild nuttiness.

M: Medium in body with a somewhat low carbonation.

O: Pretty awful stuff. But I guess that's not surprising considering it's being brewed at Bayhawk.

4.31/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.91/5  rDev -12.1%

08-27-2012: Tasted again, having forgot I had this before. It's still dishwatery, but not too offensive. What is interesting, tho, is the review by Jenta351, who joined Jul 18, 2012 and whose only activity on BA was to glowingly review this beer on that day.

Looks nice enough, with the yellow brown color in the glass. Quite sudsy with each pour, and prickly in the mouth.

Very light body. A little sharp. Very light roasted malt flavor with some barley husks. Slight browned toast taste. A touch of butter. Kind of anemic and dishwatery. A little malty sweetness with a fresh sip. Not much in the way of hops. Plain and not much to like.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Liticker's in Ocean Beach. (Second bottle bought at Total Wine).

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hell Hound Brown from Cosmic Brewery