Mexican Chocolate Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Mexican Chocolate StoutMexican Chocolate Stout
Notes: Gold Medal Winner at Great American Beer Fest - Herb and Spice Category. A rich black ale with roasted malt flavors blended with bittersweet chocolate, our own blend of three Mexican chili peppers and cinnamon.
Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 258 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Good head production, but fairly poor retention; not too long after the pour, it has completely dissipated.

Cinnamon dominates the nose, with very mild notes of cream, pepper, and chocolate behind. Not much of a malt base coming through.

Similar on the palate. The peppers and cinnamon are pleasant, but the moderate ABV leaves the overall profile lacking in depth and flavor. There's simply not much "stout" in this stout. Nice moderate heat from the peppers.

2.96/5  rDev -24.9%

This one pours a very dark black color, with a small foamy head, and lots of lacing.

This one smells like pepper and chocolate mostly, but in a sort of tepid manner.

This is surprisingly subdued and flat tasting. It's mostly just spicy, with flat sweet chocolate. It's just kind of muted and watery - there's not much to report here.

This is very thin and watery, with not much drinkability to it at all.

I am really surprised at how subpar this one was.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Very dark brown, nearly black, color. Small mocha head.
Spice aroma up front, then some chocolate.
Spice and chilis dominate the taste. Chocolate secondary.
On the lighter side. Too much chili and spice for me.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2018-07-04
22oz bottle split between a pair of large snifters. Don't see a date on it. I think it was given to me by @mr-jj.

Pours black with a small light brown head, moderate to high carbonation. Smell is overpowering spice with chocolate. If you want a Mexican chocolate assault, smell this.

Taste is similar to the smell. Spices is are on the forefront. Now the chilis come through a little. Definitely some chocolate in the background.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light. Overall, it's too much cinnamon/nutmeg/whatever spices for me. It's not bad.

2019-03-12
19.2oz can served in a nonic pint. No date on it. This one is definitely a gift from @mr-jj. I would mostly give it the same review.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A gold medal winner beer and I am excited to try it. Poured into a tulip glass at 50 degrees. A hard pour produced a one finger tan head. The head fizzled quickly. The head zero lacing. The color of the beer is SRM 37 dark brown nearly black. The beer has carbonatation bubble on the sides of the glass.

Dark chocolate, chili, coffee, dark roasted malt, earthy, wood, burnt sugar, molasses, toasted malts, bready, and cinnamon for the aromas.

Chocolate, roasted chili, coffee, dark roasted malts, earthy, yeasty burnt sugar, cinnamon, and bready.

The mouthfeel of the beer is coating and warming.
The body of the beer is medium, medium carbonation, and a medium finish.
This beer surprised me! The chili comes through well. The beer has a great balance and harmony. I thought the beer was going to be a thicker body stout, but it was more like a porter. Good beer.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Boy, this beer is really a mixed bag. Things I like about it: big cinnamon nose, I mean, a ton of cinnamon. I like the chili spice. I love chile peppers, so I'd only call this mildly spicy, not hot, but it's definitely noticeable, and that's a good thing. The beer looks good, with a big foamy head and lacing that hangs around nicely.

But ... I'm sorry, but there's no way that this is a stout. There's no roastiness. The body is ridiculously thin for a beer that calls itself a stout. And as to the chocolate? Well, there's a little bit of cocoa there, but it's pretty subdued, well behind the cinnamon and the chile in terms of flavor.

Finally, there's a slightly odd finish to the beer. It's got a slight tang, almost slightly sour. That's good in some beers, but it seems surprising here, and out of character.

Maybe I'm mostly put off by the disconnect between the name of this beer ("Mexican Chocolate Stout") and what it's really like. Maybe if they'd called it something like "Cinnamon Chile Ale", I'd be less surprised.

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown, almost black. Flat appearance.

Nice nose. Chocolatey and vegetal. Light cinnamon and allspice.

Flavor is chocolate, cinnamon, and peppers. The peppers really pack some heat in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin with high carbonation. I think a softer and thicker mouthfeel would really do wonders for it.

Overall, a very solid take on the Mexican chocolate style. Beef up the body and it'd be a knockout.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours very dark. A little oily looking. Minimal head. Smell is of chocolate, malts and the skins of peppers.

Taste is roasted malt and chocolate then the peppers come in. Very nice. Burn of ancho balanced with a slight sweetness. Malt profile is almost lost in the spice, I'm getting a hint of cola as well.

The warming burn builds with each sip, settling in the back of your throat. The chocolate undercurrent keeps it under control, but there's no mistaking this has chili at the top of the bill. It remains very drinkable, almost a porter feel than a stout for lack of roast and stickiness. If you're into chili beers this is your ticket; if not, walk on by. I've had chili beers where the heat was barely discernible; this is not that beer. Two alarms and loving it.

Also, the bottle is beautifully designed.

Slightly oily feel at the end. Although a moderate 7%, feels a bit boozy. Or maybe it's hot in general.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 22 oz bottle at Hazel's in Boulder, CO. Enjoyed with mom and dad while playing backgammon in our rental apartment.

Look: Dark brown, small head

Smell: Chocolate and chili pepper

Taste: Very spicy, chocolate, cinnamon, toasted malt

Feel: Medium body and carbonation

Overall: A real kicker!

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look:
Very black and think in the glass. Decent amount of foam (2-finger), but quickly recedes. Foam is a nice deep tan color.

Smell:
Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. There is a slight tart/sour fruit aroma along with the strong presence spiciness.

Taste:
At first there's a bite (whether it be hops or chili peppers, I'm not sure). The bite is quick and then leads to smokey malt and chocolate flavors. There is a sweet and rich caramelly flavor presence just a split second before the head starts to kick in. There is a moment or two of a sourness that battles with the sweetness (like a battle between good and evil!). The spices seem to intensify when the sweet vs. sour war gives out and the spicy burn remains for some time.

Feel:
Full bodied and thick. There is a decent amount of fizz on the tongue and a drier finish than expected.

Overall:
This is a very good and unique brew. I am a big spice/heat fan in foods and am becoming a bigger fan of it in beer. This one may be too hot for some people so be careful. It is very complex and has a lot going on. I would not be afraid of picking up another one of these in the near future.

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very, very black. Big, billowy sandy-tan head that doesn't stick around long, leaves very minimal lacing behind. Smell is dominated by spicy chilies and cinnamon. Very little chocolate maltiness to be found, hint of an odd chemical aroma. Taste, too, is mostly spiciness. More ancho chilie heat, lasting cinnamon flavor and a surprising amount of heat on the palette. No sweetness whatsoever, vague cocoa characteristics. Slurping air through the beer really brings out an almost shocking chemical taste, quite unpleasant, almost a fuel-like taste. It isn't very present without sending air through it, but when it's there, it's very noticeable and quite off-putting. The chilies are very well done and are really tasty, that's the good part. A tad smokey and like biting into a fresh, juicy New Mexico pepper. Feel is a bit thin, not much body for a stout, but not-overly carbonated at all.

A bit disappointing in this beer. The stout part of the beer was under-represented, and that horrific gasoline-like taste really brought it down a peg or two. The heat was really great, I love it's slow burn and palette-covering tingle, but a chilie stout needs to be a STOUT, and this just wasn't.

On a positive note, the label was absolutely gorgeous and was far and away my favorite part of the beer. So well done. If only it held a more enjoyable beer inside it. I love Copper Kettle, and will give this another try on tap if I can. I so badly want to enjoy this beer, but so far, I'm very underwhelmed.

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: Tan head dissipates quickly. Dark as all hell. barely any light gets through.

Smell: Roasty and baking spice. Maybe nutmeg, little bit of cinnamon. Hint of chocolate.

Taste: Mild Chili spice. The chocolate balances it out nicely. More baking spice. Much more cinnamon than on the nose. Chili certainly isn't overbearing.

Feel: Really great body for a Stout. Not much in the way of carbonation. The spice is slowly numbing my tongue. Not certain I will be able to enjoy a second glass.

Overall: Most interesting chili beer I've had in a while. Really well balanced but I was expecting more from the chocolate. I guess after the Chili burns the front of your tongue you stop really noticing any sweet malts this beer may offer (even starting to not notice the roasty bits as well). Probably only good for a couple sips. Don't buy the bomber unless you are sharing with a few other friends (probably a good rule with any chili beer anyway).

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This one was just OK for me - I didn't care for the spicy-ish flavor that built up in my mouth as I drank it. Flavor was kind of interesting but it didn't hit any great heights for me.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

A-Almost black in color with a thin layer of tan head

S-chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper spice

T-similar to the taste with a milk chocolate backbone and spicy chili peppers with cinnamon

M-medium body, light to medium carbonation, spicy chili aftertaste

Overall one of the spicier chili beers I have had, but I like it!

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with no dating that I could discern on the label. That said, after opening it, I'm pretty sure it's fresh, based on the explosion of aroma and flavor that came billowing out of the bottle. Poured into a large New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance (4.0) - Pours a dark bistre brown, reminiscent of wet tree bark and bordering on black but for a subtlety that belies the muddy hue. Even a fairly aggressive pour fails to yield much in the way of head, with a somewhat frothy half finger of camel colored head topping the body and dissipating relatively quickly into an intermittent film across the surface of the liquid. Lacing is all but nonexistent--just a couple spots here and there on the side of the glass.

Smell (4.5) - Wow. Honestly, it makes me feel like I just stuck a cinnamon stick up my nose, but in the most positive possible way that one could have a cinnamon shoved up one's nose. Just a burst of cinnamon and dried pepper and a subtle suggestion of sweeter dark chocolate in the background. I also get hints of roasted malt that balance out the spice-forward aroma. I almost don't want to drink it for fear of being letdown in comparison to the fantastic smell.

Taste (4.5) - Well, I have to say that the taste holds up quite well in comparison to the intoxicating smell. Lots of cinnamon and spice come through initially, with a velvety undercurrent of baker's chocolate bittersweetness and some subtle roasted char. On the finish, there is a nice kick from the peppers--probably the most pepper-forward spiced stout I've had to date, but the cinnamon and chocolate do a fantastic job of blending and taking the edge off. I've had pepper beers with this much heat that just weren't drinkable. It just goes to show how much complementary ingredients can play a factor in the overall impression of a beer.

Mouthfeel (4.25) - I was a bit afraid that this beer wouldn't have that decadent viscosity that I love about this substyle of beer, and it certainly doesn't have the body of an imperial stout, for obvious reasons. But for a 7% stout, this one has plenty of meat. Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate to low carbonation. By way of comparison, it certainly has more body than a similar beer in Xocoveza, which clocks in at 8.1% abv. I think the hefty spice bill does some of the heavy lifting in preventing this one from feeling too thin. And it's light enough that it's a little easier to drink than the imperial spiced stouts.

Overall (4.25), just a fantastic beer from Copper Kettle; it's quite obvious why this beer won a gold medal in 2011 in the spiced stout category. It's amazing to me that with the seemingly recent surge in interest in this type of beer, that this one doesn't get more love/mention. Perhaps because it's a Colorado-only beer? I really have no idea. All I know is that I will definitely be trying to get more of it at the earliest opportunity.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown/black. Smells of cinnamon, hot chocolate and french toast. Definitive cinnamon up front, roast malt, cocoa, light chili spice. Cinnamon left on the palate with a light chili heat on the throat. Medium/light body with medium carbonation. Very creative beer, excellent flavor but would have liked a bit more body. Only one of its kind I have tried and will definitely buy more.

I opened this bottle and it literally sprayed all over my kitchen ceiling, wall and floor. I have never seen anything like this before. Spice and plastic. Infected. Drain pour... then cleaning my entire kitchen.

I was so excited for this one. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

Do you like a bit of sugar, spice, and everything nice? Well Copper Kettle Brewing Company’s Mexican Chocolate Stout might just be the right beer for you. It pours black with the subtle aroma of chocolate and spices, and upon taking the first sip you’ll notice the chocolaty, smooth, velvety finish. Then the kick hits you, that wonderful hint of spice that isn’t too powerful, but lingers around on your taste buds for a good couple of seconds. Overall a great beer, especially with the winter season coming in. I imagine having this beer on a cold night, wrapped up in a blanket in front of a fire while roasting up some S’MORES. This beer definitely is a MUST try on my list of Stouts if you are a Stout person.

2.59/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Shared with JLindros...wish I could say I trolled him, but, was expecting this to be good.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a dark black hue with a mocha head that faded to leave a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of yeast, floral, awful yeast. Lilacs....where's the chocolate? Where's the chili? Oxidized maybe...cardboard, chalky chocolate.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, good chili taste and heat, nice chocolate albeit cheap, faint nutty, faint coconut, rather mediocre and light cardboard.

M - Mouthfeel is not bad, smoother, nice heat, not bad.

O - Overall this beer was an epic letdown. The nose and taste were just awful. Ugh

Serving Type: Bottle

2.59/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to rudzud, well maybe not.

Nice creamy thick smooth 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, nice legs too, just about pitch black color.

Nose has a first punch of dusty dank shelf and raw yeast, then that fades quickly then yahoo choc milk, creamy fake choc nesquick style, little floral earthy thing, and wet cardboard, oxidation?, faint dried chili pepper in the background, and a bit of cinnamon.

Taste is a bit better, big hot pepper heat, tingly, cayenne or chili pepper heat. Then the fake milk choc, more Yahoo nesquick style, creamy but meh. Then back to yeast, bad yeast flavor and mild wet cardboard and dank shelf maybe oxidation. Plenty of cinnamon too, little apple cinnamon spice. Finish is more Yahoo fake choc milk and fair heat, little more cardboard and yeast.

Mouth is med bod, nice lingering heat, decent carb.

Overall horrible!

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a really small brewery randomly located in an office park, but they put out some good beer. They've been around for a few years now so they obviously are doing something right. Mexican Chocolate Stout is their bestseller, and they've started bottling it for sale outside of the tap room. It's a little too spicy for me, but I don't go for hot stuff in general, so make of that what you will. The chocolate got overshadowed by the spice, so if they balanced this one just a little bit better, I'd be a regular consumer. I'd go back and try other beers there though.

1.5/5  rDev -61.9%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance.

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium fizzy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet roast chocolate with chilis and lots of cinnamon spice.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with a little roast, lots of cinnamon and quite a bit of heat from the chili peppers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting beer. Lots of cinnamon and chili heat - almost over the top, but I like it. Seemed a bit milder and better balanced on tap.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled at SAVOR 2014 and 2015. Really spicy and a little thin, but otherwise delicious. Great interpretation of Mexican hot chocolate that doesn't skimp on the spice. Clean and tasty but must be sipped.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Half inch mocha head on a black body. Some lacing clings to the glass, cap and collar throughout.

Subdued chili on the nose. Another whiff yields the chocolate and spices, cinnamon?

Cinnamon roastiness turns to chili pepper heat over the course of each sip. Whoa, burns the throat going down. Alcohol is hard to detect with everything going on but would guess at about 8.5%abv

Mouthfeel is medium/medium-thin for the style, carbonation is spot on and compliments the overall beer very well.

This one was a trip. The chili/cinnamon heat is high on the burny scale, a welcome surprise for this guy. Thanks for this kojevergas!

Mexican Chocolate Stout from Copper Kettle Brewing Company