Mexican Chocolate Stout | Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Copper Kettle Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
copperkettledenver.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.

Added by ArrogantB on 06-02-2011

I suppose if you love cinnamon you will like this beer. I love stouts and I had to pour this down the drain after two sips. Disgusting.

Infected. Acetone. Plastic burning. Nail polish.

I opened this bottle and it literally sprayed all over my kitchen ceiling, wall and floor. I have never seen anything like this before. Spice and plastic. Infected. Drain pour... then cleaning my entire kitchen.

I was so excited for this one. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

1.5/5  rDev -61.2%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance.

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

2.13/5  rDev -45%

Too much cinnamon/spice for me

2.49/5  rDev -35.7%

I will start this out by saying i do love me a spicy stout. and i love all the new and great ones coming out. give me a mexican cake, hunah, prairie bomb, abraxas any day of the week. I wasn't thinking this would be in that same category, but i thought it would hold it's own.

It looked great, rich, dark and full. Smelled.. well HOT and cinnamon, and not the good kind of cinnamon... it was all downhill from there. did this at a tasting last night w/8 other ppl and every single one of us except for 1 guy dumped this. (he was RAVING about it btw). Just overpowering and overwhelming cinnamon and spice. it was so strong we all had to switch glasses for our next beer because we couldnt wash the smell out.

if it comes my way again, i'll pass and so should you

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.59/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to rudzud, well maybe not.

Nice creamy thick smooth 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, nice legs too, just about pitch black color.

Nose has a first punch of dusty dank shelf and raw yeast, then that fades quickly then yahoo choc milk, creamy fake choc nesquick style, little floral earthy thing, and wet cardboard, oxidation?, faint dried chili pepper in the background, and a bit of cinnamon.

Taste is a bit better, big hot pepper heat, tingly, cayenne or chili pepper heat. Then the fake milk choc, more Yahoo nesquick style, creamy but meh. Then back to yeast, bad yeast flavor and mild wet cardboard and dank shelf maybe oxidation. Plenty of cinnamon too, little apple cinnamon spice. Finish is more Yahoo fake choc milk and fair heat, little more cardboard and yeast.

Mouth is med bod, nice lingering heat, decent carb.

Overall horrible!

2.59/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Shared with JLindros...wish I could say I trolled him, but, was expecting this to be good.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a dark black hue with a mocha head that faded to leave a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of yeast, floral, awful yeast. Lilacs....where's the chocolate? Where's the chili? Oxidized maybe...cardboard, chalky chocolate.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, good chili taste and heat, nice chocolate albeit cheap, faint nutty, faint coconut, rather mediocre and light cardboard.

M - Mouthfeel is not bad, smoother, nice heat, not bad.

O - Overall this beer was an epic letdown. The nose and taste were just awful. Ugh

Serving Type: Bottle

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very, very black. Big, billowy sandy-tan head that doesn't stick around long, leaves very minimal lacing behind. Smell is dominated by spicy chilies and cinnamon. Very little chocolate maltiness to be found, hint of an odd chemical aroma. Taste, too, is mostly spiciness. More ancho chilie heat, lasting cinnamon flavor and a surprising amount of heat on the palette. No sweetness whatsoever, vague cocoa characteristics. Slurping air through the beer really brings out an almost shocking chemical taste, quite unpleasant, almost a fuel-like taste. It isn't very present without sending air through it, but when it's there, it's very noticeable and quite off-putting. The chilies are very well done and are really tasty, that's the good part. A tad smokey and like biting into a fresh, juicy New Mexico pepper. Feel is a bit thin, not much body for a stout, but not-overly carbonated at all.

A bit disappointing in this beer. The stout part of the beer was under-represented, and that horrific gasoline-like taste really brought it down a peg or two. The heat was really great, I love it's slow burn and palette-covering tingle, but a chilie stout needs to be a STOUT, and this just wasn't.

On a positive note, the label was absolutely gorgeous and was far and away my favorite part of the beer. So well done. If only it held a more enjoyable beer inside it. I love Copper Kettle, and will give this another try on tap if I can. I so badly want to enjoy this beer, but so far, I'm very underwhelmed.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Snappy caramel head rises as falls almost just as fast. Black brew is thin and viscous.

Tons of cinnamon, heavy pepper aroma, milky chocolate

A nearly amazing complexity of deep, dark spice. Spicy, roasty, dark chocolate on the back end, crisp light carbonation, missing much sweetness with a overwhelming amount of cinnamon. Thin, watery, hot, awkward aftertaste.

This is one bizarrely unique brew. A very slow drinker. Difficult to drink and rate. It's a great pepper brew, but a poor stout. I don't know how I feel about MCS... $12/22oz

2.99/5  rDev -22.7%