Orion Mugi Shokunin

View: Beers
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 18 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
elNopalero from California

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

From a can.

Pours a dazzlingly clear golden yellow. It’s full of life, appearing very effervescent. Little to no aroma, hops are virtually nonexistent too. Crisp and clean otherwise, just know what you’re getting into.

Dec 01, 2019
chinchill from South Carolina

3.09/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

500 ml can with a June 2020 BB date stamp on the bottom. 5.5 % ABV.
Enjoyed at a beach on Tokashiki Island, Japan.
Look: Pale amber body with a decent white head.
Mild aroma with a stronger, more hop forward flavor than the aroma suggests.
Medium-light body with lively carbonation.

Nov 19, 2019
monkist from Hungary

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I told myself I won’t ever drink a happoshu again... but here we were in Okinawa and seeing all these Orion beers only available here, I just had to go and try as many as possible. Or maybe I shouldn’t have...
But this one, although it is labeled as a happoshu, it is made with proper ingredients so it IS a proper beer, except for it having corn starch and sugar added - and it seems like that such an addition already qualifies a beer as a “no beer” for the japanese, even though most of the time happoshu is used for beer imitations made with spirits.
But nevertheless... First of all, it has NO aroma. No smell whatsoever. If any, then it is extremely faint. Then the taste is an imitation of a lager and it is very watery. However, I could be unhappier with this beer, because although it’s not good, ot could be much worse. So here we go, my final verdict is that it is not the worst thing that I had - maybe because it IS a real beer after all?

Nov 15, 2019
Jugs_McGhee from Louisiana

2.83/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

CAN: Nabbed at Hong Kong Supermarket, Terrytown, Louisiana.11.8 fl oz pull-tab. Ran $1.99 USD.

"Mugishokunin." 5.5% ABV. Brewed with hops and barley.

Taste hits on adjunct (rice, maybe sorghum), malt extract, and some syrupy malty notes...not unlike an American malt liquor.

Texture is a bit syrupy and thick.

Drinkable but dull. Very simplistic syrupy fare...not the kind of brew I'd buy regularly.

C / AVERAGE

***
08/10/19 CAN:

Drinks better ice cold, but it's still wanting. I've preferred the more interesting adjunct-laden Happoshu I've tried (e.g. with sweet potato) over these budget up-the-middle expressions of the style/tax category.

C / AVERAGE

Aug 10, 2019
brewerburgundy from California

2.79/5  rDev -12.3%

12oz can, mug, looks like canned in July 2018 and best by March 2019.

It's a little hard to tell in the ceramic mug, but it appears to be run of the mill yellow beer with ever so slightly off-white head.

Just whiffs of malt and tinny hops.

While it looks crisp, there's a sweetness with surprising depth and bitterness to go with it.

It isn't aggressively fizzy like you might think. The feel is slightly matte with medium fizzy carbonation.

Well, from the can I didn't think this would be Happoshu. It looked as if it might be a pale ale, I guess the green drew me in. The can design has been revamped since the picture on this page was posted.

Aug 17, 2018
Troy-Hawaii from Hawaii

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought a single 12oz can Don Quiojte $1.50
Clear golden color
Light mouthful
High carbonation
Sweet malt, light hops taste
Overall a good beer for hot days. Well done

May 19, 2018
patre_tim from Thailand

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Chinese gold, very carbonated, filtered, 2 finger slightly yellow head that fades fast.

Smells of malt, pabst and offal, metallic.

Creamy, fresh, washed cottony linens, floral kind of taste that is smooth and finishes with a slight hop bitterness. Reminds me of the Sapporo.

Medium body, highly carbonated.

Overall, I like it. I came in expecting a pilsener type beer, and it made it to some Japanese cool beer I may have on occasion. It would go well with all an AA Lager would go with, and for the most part I would think of it as this, an AA Lager. But, it does have its Japanese charactaristics as described to the best of my ability in my taste section. Would also go well with Japanese.

Sep 20, 2014
SargeC from California

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Clear, pale gold brew. Nice head for a Happoshu, very dense and pure white.

Smell: Mild malt aroma. Minor touch of hops.

Taste: Light malt flavor with only a hint of hops. Water is very evident. Fits the style though.

Mouthfeel: Very light body. Slightly acidic.

Drinkablity: I thought it was worth a try. I will not seek it out again though. Extremely light.

Jan 19, 2009
Orion Mugi Shokunin from Orion Beer Co., Ltd.
Beer rating: 73 out of 100 with 18 ratings