Orion Premium Draft Beer | Orion Beer Co., Ltd.

Read the review
Orion Premium Draft BeerOrion Premium Draft Beer

Orion Beer Co., Ltd.
Japan
orionbeer.co.jp

Style: Japanese Rice Lager

Added by Gusler on 12-11-2002

4.92/5  rDev +65.1%

Orion Premium Draft Beer has a medium-to-thick white head, a somewhat hazy, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance, and a nice amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of sweet, lightly-toasted barley malt, cracker, and sugar, and it has a very full smell- wonderful! Taste is of sweet, light barley malt, delicate cracker, sugar, a mild hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Orion Premium Draft Beer finishes crisp, refreshing, mostly dry, and super drinkable. This is an incredibly balanced, almost perfect lager beer. I am stunned by it, and I think you should seek it out!

RJT

4.75/5  rDev +59.4%

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

4.25/5  rDev +42.6%

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%

I don't think I've reviewed a Japanese rice lager, nor do I have much experience with them, but I'm assuming this is basically a Japanese spin on American macro lager brewed with rice. As such I will attempt to review this beer subjectively given those criteria.

Appearance:
The beer is straw yellow in color with just a touch of haze. There's a pretty decent two finger creamy white head to the beer. Although the head displays little lacing, this is offset by the mildly impressive staying power.

Smell:
With very little power to the scent only a touch of sake like odors are detected. I've had a few encounters with rice beers as of late so I'm now almost positive that this is the smell of fermented rice, so I will simplify this to, "The beer smells faintly of rice." If you really bury your nose in to the beer a kiss of hops can be picked up at the back.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Again with the sake like rice flavors, they almost come across as cidery in nature. There's a mild tartness up front with an even wash of overripe apples over the back of my palate. From front to back there is a sweetness to the beer, very similar to that of a 40oz. In the finish there is faint floral hop character but it only pops in for just a moment. The aftertaste is clean.

Drinkability:
I must say that I would take this beer over a BMC standard lager just about any day. There's more flavor and less nasty aftertaste which consequently makes for a pretty drinkable beer.

Bottom Line:
By comparison to American macro lager I find this beer to be a step above. I find it odd given the fact that similar ingredients and processes are most likely used. Then again I've been to Japan before, and they do love rice so perhaps it's centuries worth of experience with fermenting rice beverages that gives this beer the edge. It's really not that bad, not quite a Prima Pils but not a beer to scoff at.

4.06/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Orion is, thus far, my favorite Japanese-brewed beer. It is a great beer overall. Great taste, mouthfeel, and surprisingly good in a variety of temperatures. If you're a pilsner fan, like me, you'll enjoy this beer.

Poured from a large bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- this beer has hints of yeast, hops and malt that can be detected. Appearance- beer pours a pale yellow that is clear and has a one inch white head. Taste- A great hoppy flavor that has great dry finish. Palate- a nice light body with a dry finish that is accented by the lively carbonation. Overall- I may be biased since I loved this beer for years while stationed in Okinawa but I think this maybe the most flavorful Japanese rice lager. If it was available more often I would definitely drink it more in the States

3.98/5  rDev +33.6%

Been seeing this around lately, and given it was one of the few Japanese Rice Lagers I hadn't tried, I decided to pick one up.

Pours a striking yellow. Head lingers for a good long while -- long enough to surprise and impress, for what it's worth.

Taste is clean and crisp; refreshing, even. Reminds me very much of my favored light beer. Alcohol seems a bit lower than the other Rice Lagers, a quality reminiscent of an inoffensive British Mild. I like this. Very smooth, very clean, very mild. This is good.

Mouthfeel is superbly smooth. This would make an excellent session beer. Or good for an afternoon pint. Very drinkable.

Granted, this is NOT a complex beer -- if you're looking for that, by all means, avoid avoid avoid. But this beer does what it does, and it does it well. Mild. Nice. Refreshing. Give it a try.

This is my pick over Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, and yes, even (Y)ebisu, if you want to go there. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

3.88/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear pale yellow with a one finger fluffy white head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring of lacing. It's not the best looking beer, but it's very true to the style. Scents of lager yeast, some moderate hop character, and grainy malt. Flavor begins with a moderate level of floral hop bitterness and some grainy malt in the background. This moves into more nice dry grainy malt flavors with a balance of floral hop bitterness. Finish is dry with a nice grainy dryness and floral hop bitterness. Aftertaste is dry with floral hop flavors. A nice flavor profile, quite dry, grainy and with a good level of hop bitterness. Quite pleasant to drink as a result. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and a drying feel. Very refreshing, easy to drink and wonderful on a warm day. Overall this is a good Japanese Rice Lager that has a nice dry flavor character, a classic aroma profile for the style and a wonderfully refreshing mouthfeel. It's not the best beer around, but for it's style it is a fantastic drink.

3.82/5  rDev +28.2%

This was my beer of choice when I was stationed on "The Rock" many moons ago in 1984. At the time, I remember it being available in mini plastic kegs, in beer machines on the street and on tap at local bars throughout the island.

I tried other Japanese brews such as Kirin, Sapporo and Asahi. Definitely decent and respectable beers in their own right. However, this particular brand was it for me.

Fast forward to 2009 and some things haven't changed. Drinking this again was like going back in time for me. Has a generic, floral taste with moderate spiciness and nice gold color and decent drinkability.

This may not be everyone's beer, but ahh, the memories!

3.77/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

light and slightly sour.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not very flavorful, but still pretty drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev +25.8%

Orion Premium Draft Beer from Orion Beer Co., Ltd.