Apricot Wheat | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by Jason on 05-20-2005

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.12/5  rDev -66.5%

Good lord.... this beer tasted and smelled like a urinal cake.... Light to no mouthfeel, good color and retentive head, but my god.... I just could not get past the fact that the apricot was so artificial... It smelled and tasted horrible, I could barely get through the sample I was given.

1.8/5  rDev -46.1%

Had as a taster on tap in Tanks Tap Room Tampa. Appearance slightly cloudy as you would expect of a wheat beer, though the aroma hints more at dryish apricot flavours, with no hint of the 'banana' flavours you get in a Hefe Weiss beer. The taste was just simply unpleasant, dryish but with an almost artificial apricot weak thin aftertaste that left a dry feeling in the mouth rather like the worst artificial sweetners can give. Cannot really imagine anyone enjoying this, and did not finish the taster, just unpleasant and good argument against adding any fruit to a beer! I would hope the Brewer has some better beers than this, regret it would discourage me from trying any others from them. Sorry, but just simply awful.

JohnW
B'ham UK (written while in Tampa FL Oct 2006)

1.96/5  rDev -41.3%

[email protected] Coast, May 2004. i know my friend i had this with liked this one, but i couldn’t force myself to. Lightly sweet apricots, wheaty, bit funny for some reason, not a fan. I guess i'm not sure whether i like Apricot or not, this just didn't work for me, but it was relatively refreshing.

1.96/5  rDev -41.3%

I can easily find Lost Coast’s mainline beers in Seattle, so when visiting their brewpub in Eureka, CA, I was looking for beers on tap that aren’t distributed in my corner of the country. Unfortunately, they were out of both their Winterbraun ale, which would have been the only non-novelty beer (Fruit / Vegetable) beer they had on tap. So I had to venture into territory that I’m admittedly not particularly fond of. I like beer and I enjoy apricots. I’m not convinced after drinking Lost Coast’s Apricot Wheat that they should be united into a single experience. The beer is a cloudy, wheaty, hazy copper orange. The smell is not of fresh apricots so much as a somewhat acrid artificial ester. The taste is washed out, light, and dominated by the artificial fruit taste. If it had, perhaps, a quarter of the fruit flavoring, it might be an acceptable marriage, but it’s too imbalanced towards the fruit. It’s barely beer. The mouthfeel is light and slightly astringent. The drinkability is low.

I realize my ratings on this beer are low. I'm reviewing them even in consideration of the style itself. I think if this beer had less fruit taste in general and more of a natural fruit taste, it could be much improved. As is, it falls short for its style.

2.3/5  rDev -31.1%

Had this on tap at the yardhouse. I remember it being a lot better.

Pours a light orange. Tastes fainly of apricot, but not much. There's little to no wheat content either. In fact, it just tastes pretty bad. Overly carbonated and unappealing in every respect.

Avoid.

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this on-tap, served on a Pint glass.

A: the place where I had this beer had very little lightning so it was a bit hard to tell, but I saw a deep dark golden color, only a superficial head. Little to no lacing.

S: very mute. Hints of apricot, sweet fruits and honey.

T: bland...some apricot and wheat flavor that ends with a citrus note, mostly orange.

M: light to medium body, light carbonation, watery.

O: not very happy with this choice. I certainly won't be going back to this beer.

2.83/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Tap to glass @ Lost Coast tap [email protected] Eureka,CA
Look: Dark/yellow orange, medium head goes away quickly, hazy cloudy
Aroma: more aromatic that other wheat beers from this brewery, grains
Taste: low bitterness, not a lot of taste
Feel: fizzy, abrupt, no follow through
Overall: fair beer free ok, not to repeat, but not to look for
April 11, 2016

2.9/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap served in a pint glass.

A - Clear golden with one finger white head and minimal lacing, min head retention

S - Um, you guessed it. APRICOT! A little too much of it.

T - Yep, same thing here too, not trying to be cute, just too much fruit. Pretty sweet, but smooth and refreshing.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation.

O - Not my thing, almost like a bitter fruit drink more than a beer.

I am doing this from my notes which were from a few months ago when this was still on tap. I am not a huge fan of either wheat beers and fruit beers and here we have them together. It a light amber and cloudy as you would expect. Not much head, and not much lacing. Nose of hops and apricot. Very mild and a bit sweet, with apricots dominating the flavor. A little bit sweet. I think fruit beers are hard to do well, and this one is in my opinion, just average. I wonder if Lost Coast will try this again, and if so get it better. I will keep an eye out for it.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

On-tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

The pour is a slightly cloudy apricot/dark orange. Unlike Pyramid’s Apricot Weizen, the apricot that dominates this brew's aroma and flavor is sugary and artificial- like a cough syrup. It doesn't do anything to change the negative stigma that's attached to fruit beers.

3.09/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Hazy, apricot colored with a tinge of brown. White head with limited retention.

Smell: Smells very artificial, like Metamucil or Emergen-C; overly acidic. Lemon, wheat bread, apricot, and raspberry aromas are also present.

Taste: Pleasant black tea-like taste with a solid, wheaty foundation. Lemon and apricot feature prominently. Kind of weak in all departments, but rather well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Alka-Seltzery at first, but this transforms into a clean, tingly, and chewy froth as you swish it about your palate. Not bad.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, the refreshing mouthfeel does not make up for the Pixy Stix-like aroma and blasé taste. This is an okay beer that is worth a try, but not quite world-class.

3.22/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Half finger head without any lacing to speak of on a golden crimson hazy body.

S: lots of apricot and peach aromas. These dominate anything else that might be there.

T: wheat and grain with lots of apricot throughout. Simple overall and I suspect that is purposeful.

M: light to medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

Overall this is good at wants to be... A fruity somewhat light beer for all the enjoy.

3.32/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with a white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace from randomly on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat and apricot aromas just as the name promises. Taste is of wheat and slightly tart apricot flavors. This beer has an extremely high level of carbonation that is just too much in my opinion. Overall, this is a pretty good fruit wheat beer that I wasn't expecting too much from.

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%

Now Quaffing: Lost Coast Apricot Wheat

I was surprised to find this on tap when I went to work tonight--always nice to see new lost coast brews. Pours a nice hazy, straw color with a nice full white head. The apricot is noticeable in the aroma, but very subtle. The taste was a nice balance of the apricot (not too sour or acidic like some apricot lambics), and a sweet, grassy, wheat (also not sour at all which was nice). The apricot lingers slightly on the palate, but the beer itself is very smooth and drinkable (especially when its 80+ degrees outside), and finishes fairly clean for an unfiltered wheat. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this is a good example of what a "Fruit-wheat" should be.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%