Great White | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

lostcoast.com

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 10-20-2001

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into pint. Pours a hazy hay color with a lot of head. Smells of floral sweet malts and a bit of spicy citrus. Taste is of sweet but sour citrusy wheaty malts. Some clove and banana but otherwise too sweet and lemony. Its easy to drink but rather blah. There are better offerings usually around, although it is diff than most I've had of the style, just not overly pleasing.

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange color with tiny little white head. What little head there is becomes an even thinner ring of bubbles around the edge. Leaves no lacing.

S- Dominanting the nose here are coriander and lemons. A bit of wheat and spice.

T- Pretty tame and boring. A touch of spice and lemon. Bit of yeast. Fits the style but just very light.

M- Very light in body and carbonation was good.

O- Overall nothing exciting about this beer. Pretty boring and tame.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear tawny yellow, which is definitely off style and what I noticed first. Two finger head settles to a thin layer that is constantly renewed by active carbonation below. Pungent yeast hits the nose first, then come light spices such as coriander, pepper, lavender, and a bit of clove. It's hard to get the malt behind all this, but it's there. Seems barely there when I get it, and not much Belgian characteristics to the malt are detectable. The pungent Belgian characteristics are much more prevalent in the taste. Tart yeast turns nearly bitter, but never quite gets there. This is a watery beer, which is good for a hot day, but again, off style. Balanced finish.

I happen to like the mouthfeel, even if it's off style, since it makes it great for summer. It's way lighter than a true Belgian Wit, but it's not nearly as sweet, so they balance each other out. I'm ambivalent about this beer and its lack of complexity, but the good outweighs the bad.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

3.14/5  rDev -8.5%

Must say, this beer's label was what initially got my attention. Had to check this beer out.

Appearance: Something that is actually just too bland for me. Pale yellow with little haze to it. Had decent, foamy white head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Medium malts odor with an almost faint hint of lemon. At my third wiff i did notice a slight hint of orange peel. Almost reminds me of a hybrid of Blue Moon and Hoegaarden.

Taste: Pretty average mix of lemon flavorings, sugary addition of wheat and oranges, and lastly a hint of an almost cinnamon flavor. It was enjoyable, but maybe I was expecting more.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, medium to light body, and easy to drink.

Overall: When I first looked at the label, I was expecting a wheat beer, but I think I was also expecting maybe more to pack a punch. Considering that, I was totally looking forward to more then what I got. Not a bad beer, but nothing that blew me away. Just too average I guess.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

This reminds me of a light Blue Moon, not a bad thing as the flavored are more subtle.
A- light colored, ok head, little lacing
T- floral and some grass, clean, great beer to have 2-3 on a Summer day. A good solid beer, no bitterness.
S- not too strong, just like it tastes
M- light but I like the strong carbonation.

I cannot get this in Kansas City, if I could, it would be a summer time staple.

Great White from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe