Indica India Pale Ale | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Ratings: 1,251 |  Reviews: 583

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

a nice cloudy orange color with a nice white head that fades slowly. The smell is a wonderful array of hops that lingers in the glass. With the sweetness of the malts it leads into the taste nicely. the citrus and floral notes come across really nicely on the palate and combined with the wonderful crisp mouthfeel creates one hell of a beer.

4.89/5  rDev +29%

4.83/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Poured it out of a 12oz brown bottle with pry off cap into a large hour glass shaped beer glass. No freshness date or ABV on the label that I could find. $7.99 for a six pack from Chubb’s Liquor Store.

It poured into the glass with out much of a head. The head was small and white but the pour did produce plenty of carbonation.

At first glance it was a dark copper looking color but when held up to the light it looks to me more of a cloudy burned orange amber.

This has a very pleasant fruity taste with a nice balance of green hops and a hint of malt. Over all a nice mix.

The carbonation and balance of sweet and bitter hops felt very good in my mouth and is very drinkable and no strong alcohol bite. I bet this would go good with “American style Chinese food”. You could drink quite a few of these and be ready for more a short time later.

I thought it was a bit pricey but I will buy more and if I find a sale I will buy it up!

Cheers

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Incredible beer, not sure why the rating here isn't higher. Very unique floral profile.

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%

This beer, produced by Lost Coast in Eureka, California, was recommended to me by my beer supplier (Shangy's - look it up on here). For weeks, I would go in there and ask him for a really good, flavorful, and hoppy IPA. He says, "haven't I told you about Indica?" He did, but I talked myself out of it. Shame on me. This is, by far, the best IPA I have ever had - which was previously reserved for the Pyramid IPA, also from California. This brew pours out a beautiful dark copper-amber color. The aroma is indicative of what an IPA should be: very aromatic and hoppy on the nose. It has a head that is not lacey and not too heady, just enough from start to finish. The first sip told me I was on the steps of heaven. The hops slowly increase as you continue to savor this brew. By the bottom of the glass, the aroma is still apparent, and I had the feeling I had just participated in something of a higher-calling of something. Seriously though, this is my favorite IPA, hands down. And I still have 23 more to savor! Bottoms Up!

4.72/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

ÖMG!!!! Gold medal for this one:-$

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into pub pint glass

L- hazy dark orange with good quick receding head, decent lacing and a white cap that stays with the beer

S- strong floral, some fruit (possibly stone fruit). I think it's a very great aroma

T- floral, some fruit, and maybe slightly herbal with a mild bitter after taste

M- average mouth feel, not thin, not thick, but average with mild carbonation

O- I think it's an awesome beer, i wish I had tried it sooner but I never heard of the brand so I held off. Today I finally took the leap and I'm glad I did. Awesome beer especially for the <$5 price of a craft brew

4.64/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good beer, first one I had from this company

4.62/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This rating is for the on-tap version fresh from the Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe in Eureka, CA. This is my very favorite offering from this brewer. This may be partly because I am an IPA fan, but keep in mind this is also what I am most critical of.

It pours a beautiful orange color with a white head that lasts a long time and leaves rings of lacing as it settles. The nose is spicy, with citrus, hops, and carmel. Mouthfeel is very clean and smooth. It really tastes good going down and has an exceptional finish.

Flavors are as the aromas, just more intense. IPA's are tricky, and I see lots of brewers going over the top with too much hops. This one is in balance! It is really good to drink if you like this style, as I do.

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color is darker amber nice and hazy with a nice off white head that leaves lots of lace down my glass. Love the color beats the hell out of pale IPA's in my book.
Aroma is great lots of hops citrus mixed with a touch of pine cones, man got to love dry hopping. All of this on a nice caramel malt background wonderful smelling beer, a touch more malt would be a 5 for sure.
Taste is wonderflu also caramel malt hardly have time to taste the malt and the hops hit full flavored grapefruit rind, orange peel with a touch of pine maybe even hints of floral. Malt is strong enough to support all the hops, not much malt flavor but hops not out of balance either, perfect amount of carbonation and balance in my book.
Mouthfeel is solid medium, carbonation is perfection for this beer.
Drinability is great one of the best regular IPA's availblein my humble opinon. Also one of those beers I have had several times pre BA that I thought was great can remember the aroma from more then two years ago. But once on BA never tried again because always something at store I had not had, always meant to buy and review but never did :( I can see buying more of this next time in Knoxville or Boone lovley beer.

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe