Indica India Pale Ale | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Ratings: 1,254 |  Reviews: 583

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

This is a pretty good beer. Citrusy and piney scent, not a very strong scent, but nice smell. The taste is surprisingly flavorful for not having a very strong scent. Piny, floral taste. Fresh hops taste. Above average mouthfeel. Good carbonation, not too thin, and flavor stays with you.

Overall, I agree with many of the other reviewers- this is a good middle of the pack IPA. Probably not something I would go and seek out to , find another, but I really enjoyed the one that I had and was grateful to have it.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured a gold/amber with a very nice head but that, for me, was the best part of this IPA. I won't say that I didn't enjoy it but I don't think it measures up to other examples of this style. While there was a hop presence it was less aggressive than many other IPAs. It tasted, to me, more like a Pale Ale than an IPA.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Perfectly clear honey colored beer with a good amount of visible carbonation comiong up. Huge white foamy head on top with excellent retention and lots of sticky lacing. Notes of pleasant citrus, caramel and bread on the nose. Very clean, not overly aromatic but nice. A bit of earthy hops at the very beginning that fades quickly.

The hops in this one are subtle, adding more citrus flavor than bitterness to the beer. The bitterness that is there is actually pleasant and a bit earthy, undercut by a strong malty backbone. There is some caramel that mixes in with earthy tones of the hops quite well, giving a nice balance to the beer. The hops touch on pine as well, giving the beer a subtley nice mixture of grapefruity citrus and earthy pine, all backed by a substantial caramel and bready malt bill. The mouthfeel is just a tad watery, the only real complaint here. The aftertaste only lingers for a little, mostly with the breadiness and earthy hops. The finish is pretty long, but on the dry side. It all adds up to a nicely balanced, clean and very drinkable IPA that can please all parties involved. Not bad.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Not the "hop bomb" for which I'd hoped.

In fairness, although I purchased this bottle a couple of weeks ago, I can't tell when it was brewed. The malt-forward sweetness of the taste may be indicative of an older bottle rather than the brewer's intent, but I will consider this beer a disappointment until I can find a known fresh bottle.

Cloudy orange amber with ecru coloured head, decent lacing. Mouthfeel is pleasant, without any hop oiliness. Aroma of caramelized malts and hops, although not the "c" hops for which I'd hoped; no pine or citrus notes.

Sweet taste with tea undertones blends into a pleasantly bitter finish, which lingers for an impressively long time and is my favourite element of this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. Adequate head and lacing pours a deep amber. Piney and grassy hop aroma with a bit of citrus. Taste has a nice peppery hop bite, not getting much fruit though, hop profile seems a little limited. Good mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, appropriate thickness for the style. Like this one well enough but it's not that distinguisable in the crowded American IPA field.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

I tried this beer for the first time last night - it was pretty good. Very hoppy, but very easy to drink; the ABV isn't the strongest for the IPA style at only 6.5%, but again, let me restate that I found this beer to be very tasty regardless. A middle of the road IPA in my opinion, but definitely worthy of being given a try.

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz. poured into pint glass
A-Hazy Light amber/yellow color, with a full two fingers of head that holds pretty well. sticks to glass well too

S-Faint herbal/grassy aroma with a hint of citrus and pine too

T/M-Hoppy bite at the get-go with little malt to the taste. pretty much a one man show here. still good

O-Not a very dynamic IPA but its still a decent brew

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance is in the middle of the range for an IPA, I'd call it amber in color darker than some IPA's but definately not as dark as a Mad Hatter or others. Head retention was solid, I poured in from the bottle into a standard pint glass.
Smell was for sure sweet and a hint of pine.
The taste was given away by the smell, I could almost guess exactly what it would have tasted like. The initial taste was very good but it didn't have the follow up bite that IPAs are known for. Left you wanting more at the end.
Overall a good beer, I remember it being better on draft but its a good tasting brew just very light for the style.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Quite a nice looking beer here with a deeper medium amber color and a tall fairly dense head. The off white head leaves spotty lacing as the beer receeds from my glass. This hazy beer also has carbonation that's a tad light.
I'm about a foot away writing down my notes and the hop bouquet is just flooding the area with a beautiful citrus and pineapple scent. There's no doubt that this is a west coast beer, quite aromatic. There is also a good caramel malt backbone.
The taste is pale in comparision to the aroma. I wonder if this is wet/dry hopped? The beautiful hop bouquet in the nose is absent from the palette. It's more a kin to a traditional IPA in flavor with a desent amount of caramel malt backbone but only enough hop pop to balance out the malts. It is also a tad sweeter then other IPA's I think. Typical medium weight on the palette with some fine grittiness or chalkiness.
It is though, even with the absence of hop pop, quite bitter at the ending and finihes with a light biscuit aftertaste.
I was somewhat dissapointed because of the lack of hop flavor in the taste. Overall I thought it was a pretty good beer and definitely worthy of more.

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe