Indica India Pale Ale | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Ratings: 1,251 |  Reviews: 583
2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Rusty orange color. Head is large, but recedes quickly to leave light lacing.

S: Citrusy hops with a hint of malt that comes out more as it warms. Not a very strong or complex bouquet.

T: Strong citrusy hops come out on the tongue first; the flavor becomes a combination of orange and sweet malts midway through, and returns to a citrusy grapefruit flavor in the finish. A decent flavor, but nothing that stands out.

M: No alcohol warmth detected. Slightly watery body and bland carbonation.

D: It's a decent IPA; not terrible for the style, but not a standout, either. I wouldn't buy it again.

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

I First had this IPA at the local German festival. It was the only IPA available. It had a nice color and a mild grapefruit thing going on so I decided to buy it when I saw it at my local beer store. Nice color and not a lot of head, but basically a sweet, syrupy, sticky, malty ipa. I even get that slight skunky taste. It might have been sitting on the shelf for a while, but I definitely taste a lot of malt.

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

I am always suspicious of a beer when there is more head than ale after a careful pour. But here goes. This is simply the thickest, most pillowy head I have seen in a while--a good three and a half fingers on top of a slightly murky reddish amber brew. First to the nose is a tart lemony redolence, and there's not much else; even after lingering I'm not getting much hops out of this. The taste is metallic and bland with a thin mouthfeel. Did I get a bad bottle?

2.79/5  rDev -26.4%

Consumed on tap at The Elk in Spokane for $4.25. I've had this in bottle form, but not recently.

Served in a pint glass, this had a look to it that was somewhere between iced tea and amber. A big, creamy white head was perched atop the glass. Moderate lace.

This had a scent of leafy, medicinal hops. There was a modest citrus scent as well, but it was dominated by the bitter medicinal hop scent.

Taste was pretty much like the smell. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor of this beer. Bitter, but not bitter to the point of scalding a hophead's tastebuds - just bitter due to a lack of balance.

Mouthfeel was adequate. I feel that this beer's flavor shortcomings made the mnouthfeel academic.

Not a particularly inspiring IPA experience. I don't think I'll try this again.

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not the worlds biggest IPA fan. And I love beer. But there are limits to how bitter I like my hops, and the Indica blows right past those limits and into the outfield. It pours a nice rich amber brown with a darker color and larger head than I'm used to on most IPAs. But the first thing that hits your palate is the bitterness of the hops, to the point where I can't discern any other flavors in the beer. Nothin' but uber-bitter hops. After it warmed up a bit I was able to pick out some toast and caramel. But still overriding it all was that darned bitterness. Ahh well. A good beer, but definitely not my cup of tea. I like my IPAs better balanced.

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not my favorite combination of hops.

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A little cloying on the back end for an otherwise decent IPA.

2.87/5  rDev -24.3%

12 ounce bottle into a "Perfect Pint" glass. No noted freshness dating, only the claim of unfiltered hoppy beer.

A - Gorgeous orange and dark gold body. The carbonation is clearly visible and holds up the 2 finger off white head stays parked and defiant of gravity.

S - I question the freshness of this sample. There is sharp pine hops which is good, but I expected more. A faint caramel sweetness lingers in the back.

T - Definitely not a fresh IPA. Oxidized hops and copper bitterness. Some grassy hops in the flavor are nice, but the aftertaste lasts and is unpleasant here.

M - Medium body and ample carbonation, but the aftertaste/feel is rough and uninviting.

D - Low. If they add a best by date, I will try it again. Maybe.

2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours amber with orange tones; unfiltered with a lot of yeast floating about. Chunky, bubbly beige head dies down pretty quickly – medium lacing. Aroma is mild floral hops; light citrus and pineapple. Light to medium body with very mild carbonation. Flavor is moderately bitter sappy and grapefruit hops with a touch of smokiness up front. Backbone of dense, bready sourdough malts complimented by a hint of dark pit fruits. Sour for an IPA. Bitter pine flourish in the finish; aftertaste is lightly sour and bitter.

2.94/5  rDev -22.4%

Light and refreshing IPA, simple and easy to drink.

2.96/5  rDev -21.9%

OK, any beer named "indica" with a picture of Ganesh on the bottle deserves some "appearance" points. Pours a hazy copper/amber with a thin chunky head. Smells like... hops. I'm running out of IPA adjectives here. actually the smell here is less intense than many; slightly grassy, slightly lemony, but not overwhelming. Taste is dry and prominently bitter, with significant lemon and grapefruit overtones. Only 6.5 abv, but it feels thicker; I couldn't have many of these before switching to something lighter.

2.97/5  rDev -21.6%

Very Malty especially for an (alleged IPA) While I can taste the hops, malt is there in the background. Seems too dark for an IPA as well [for me at least, i like a light golden to amber]. After taste is malty as well. However, this is still a drinkable ale. Just mislabeled. I may have to try this again, just to make sure I didn’t get a bad batch. {tho i've noticed that Lost Coast is "off" sometimes in labeling}

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Great up-front, long follow through with a dirty period.

Taste Rating in Words: It's a food fight, you think it's fun until mid-afternoon hits and your hungry and stinky.

2.99/5  rDev -21.1%

No date. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a nice hazy golden color w/ a decent white fluffy head and nice sticky lacing. It's not the aromas are bad, but they're extremely faint. Lots of orange and resin. The flavors are all hops, extremely bitter, but extremely one note.. which hurts. There's lots of caramel in this one, not as juicy as I prefer. The mouthfeel is nice, creamy, slightly prickly. Lost Coast just entered Ohio's market, not really a good first impression. I'm not too excited about this one, but I can totally see others enjoying it.

Overall, this is simply just another average IPA, nothing exciting.

Note: Lost Coast just started distributing to Ohio.

This beer has a big head. There is lots of lacing. The beer looks like muddy water. The smell is somewhat sweet and similar to a brown ale. The taste is pretty bitter. The mouthfeel is smooth but nothing special. I could drink these again but there are better IPA's around.

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe