Tangerine Wheat | Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Availability: Summer

Added by MLegendre on 07-28-2006

1.15/5  rDev -65.4%

Smells like orange soda.
Palate: cheap orangeade with some detergent on the arrival. Midpalate to finish full of wheat and baking soda.
Disgusting

1.25/5  rDev -62.3%

1.25/5  rDev -62.3%

1.31/5  rDev -60.5%

12oz poured into pint glass

A- Pours a light orange color with absolutely zero head or lacing. pretty bad if i should say so

S-ugh, unbelievably strong tangerine, it smells like tangerine scented cleaning solution. very metallic too. not sure if it was ok to drink

T/M-exactly how it tasted. tasted no wheat considering i drank tangerine scented cleaning solution. the body was fine though, a little too bubbly though, felt like soda

O-not a good fruit beer whatsoever, very poor beer. could not even finish it

1.39/5  rDev -58.1%

I don't consider myself a beer snob, i.e. it doesn't have to taste like an IPA to be good. For example, I like Shock Top. But with the first mouthful of this beverage (I don't consider this "beer"), for the first time I knew I wasn't going to finish the rest of it, it's that bad. Tastes like a cross between what you would imagine as whale piss and cardboard.

1.43/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.62/5  rDev -51.2%

When I rate a beer I try to be objective. Even if I don't particularly appreciate a certain style I try to rate it according to other beers in the style that I have tried. I have been to Lost Coast Brewery and it was a great experience. However Tangerine Wheat was anything but great. I hope it was an old bottle or my glass was used to clean a toilet. It was very very orangey but after about a second I had to force a swallow and drain pour the rest. I'll try it one more time and see, but as of this review. Avoid!

1.64/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I normally enjoy fruit beers but this beer was a huge disappointment.

Pours an orange-gold with a white head that very quickly disappears. Lots and lots of sediment in the glass. Normally I like bottle-conditioned beers with the yeast poured into the glass but that was a mistake with this beer.

Lots of orange aroma when i opened the bottle but after it is in the glass it smells like Tang powder.

And it pretty much tastes like tang. I'm not kidding. It starts off sweet but then ends with an odd chemical powdery taste to it. I'm sure there are some hops and malt in there somewhere but it is hard to pick it up. Frankly, this beer tastes like my first attempt at homebrewing when I went crazy and tried to make an peach IPA, which was a horrible, horrible idea.

Thin mouthfeel.

Don't buy this beer. I really can't help but wonder if this beer really has tang in it? This is the worst beer I've had in a long time.

1.66/5  rDev -50%

A - Orangish/Amber color, small white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strong tangerine smell. Very sweet, definately living up to the name. Citrusy wheat beer smell comes through, but overpowering tangerine type aroma.

T - Truly terrible. I can't tell this is a beer, tastes like some bad flavored fruit soda. Horrible artificial tangerine taste, reminds me of tang.

M - Little heavier than light, but is this soda? Has about the same carbonation level. Yuck.

D - This is probably a great beer for people who are not really into beer and like soda or fruit drinks. It tastes absolutely disgusting and has horrible mouthfeel, would never do it again.

1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat Beer...on tap

Appearance-light orange color with a white head that doesn't linger too long. Disappears quickly.

Smell-obvious aroma of sweet fruit, lemon peel, sugar, alcohol mix.

Taste/Mouthfeel-overwhelming sweetness, fruit flavor is lost as the sugar and sweetness mixed with alcohol makes for an orange soda like taste, not at all appealing, very light watery mouthfeel. On the end is an aspirin like aftertaste.

Drinkability-too sweet, too muddled, too syrupy

Overall-I normally hate to trash a beer but for me this one honestly crashed and burned, not at all a good mix of flavors.

1.7/5  rDev -48.8%

I was iffy on trying this one but thought I'd give it a go anyway. Pours cloudy gold and orange with lots of bubbles and an okay head. And then this brew quickly caves in on itself.

Bubbles dissapear and this beer goes totally flat. Smells strongly artificial and displeasing to the nose, maybe a hint of some lemon zest but the wheat is entirely downplayed by whatever concoction of "natural flavors" was thrown in this.

The taste is a strange wave of citrus including but not limited to aluminum, cardboard, lemon, orange peel, tangerine and other "natural" flavors. The wheat base on this one goes completely out the window and you're left feeling like you bit straight into an unripe tangerine, peel and all. I can't feel a balance whatsoever on this one.

A very sweet beer and very tangerineey but overall a major disappointment for me. I guess if you love tangerines and a lazy base brew then you should give this one a go. I mean, I did.

1.84/5  rDev -44.6%

Appearance: flat orangey gold, orange crush colour. No head to speak of. Cloudy.

Smell: Orange creamsicle. Bleh.

Taste: see above. One-dimensional, sickly sweet chemical orangeyness like you'd get out of a bottle of supermarket soda. This is barely beer.

Mouthfeel: actually refreshing and tart with good carbonation, the only decent thing to be had here. Wheaty dryness at the end of the sip

Drinkability: refreshing and zinging with carbonation, easy to drink despite its problems.

1.87/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Completely absent body and flavor, strong strong tangerine taste. It tastes exactly like if you took a Natural light and squeezed a tangerine in it.

1.98/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

L: Unimpressive to say the least. The exciting and Picasso style bottle writes a check that this beer doesn't keep from the second you pour it. Head disappears immediately and the goes flatter than Kansas. Few bubbles, if any. Could be mistaken for watered down orange juice.

S: The smell isn't bad. Smells like orange, but isn't overpowering like a lot of fruit beers try to do. I can almost smell something spicy too but can't put my finger on it.

T: Its just bad. Hardly tastes like beer, let alone a wheat beer. Taste like old oranges in liquid form. It a bad base beer with bad fruit additions, or at least that what the taste leads me to believe.

F: Feels just as bad as it tastes. A quick citric burn and then a sticky mouth feelings. Drinks smooth enough, but I hardly want to swallow.

O: If you want something to add vodka to instead of your morning orange juice for a screwdriver, this may be the beer for you.

Got this one in a trade with nickd717. Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand your fervor for this beer.

Appearance: Orange, fizzy and cloudy. The head dissipates in a matter of seconds. It's like pouring soda.

Smell: Tang.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fermented Tang. This literally tastes exactly like Tang, minus the sweetness.

Drinkability: If I had kids, this is what I'd put in their lunchboxes. Personally, I'll stick to beer that doesn't taste like soda.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe